SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kap726

Maple Syrup Smell in Renovated House

Kristy Ann
5 years ago

Hi all!

We pretty much fully renovated a house, which we purchased about a year and a half ago. The home is a ranch on a slab with an attic. We removed carpet and put down engineered hardwood. Primed and painted all walls. New kitchen (cabinets, granite). New bathroom (gutted to studs). It should be noted that the prior owner had cats, and as I am severely allergic we thoroughly cleaned the house prior to renovations. The prior owner kept the home very clean, there was no obvious smell of cat urine. It appeared very clean to me. We also had the ducts cleaned (no chemicals were used per my request) and the chimney swept.

All renovations were all completed over six months ago. The rooms that aren't currently being lived in yet still have a faint paint smell, which I suppose is to be expected. The front room and kitchen, which are somewhat open concept, initially had a very strong chemical smell that seemed to me emitting from the walls. When you first walked in the home, it hit you. I'm very allergic/sensitive to smells and this was unbearable. Now, the weirdest thing has happened. The chemical smell seems to be gone (or maybe overpowered) but a very strong sickening smell of maple syrup. I have tried air cleaners with HEPA filters, tons of vinegar in bowls, baking soda, airing out the home with a fan. Nothing seems to help. I am really at a loss. Any ideas would be appreciated. Currently, I can't live in the home due to the smell.

Comments (6)