SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ryanperera

Plexiglass display...help!

ryanperera
5 years ago

When my wife and I bough this house the owner was using this plexiglass display case to show off his mini car collection. We loved the idea of the display and kept it throughout our extensive renos...now we're pretty much done and have NO CLUE what to put in it!

We're not exactly car enthusiasts so the original use is out...any suggestions!?!

THANKS!

PS: Sorry bout the mess! 2 kids and 2 cats plus renos make for a messy house!

Comments (22)

• palimpsest
    5 years ago

Is it closed along the back?

• ryanperera
    Original Author
    5 years ago

It can pivot so I can put things in but it is closed in the front to keep things safe and dust free.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    5 years ago

Great wine rack.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    5 years ago

Not so sure about this. I think I would just get rid of it. Wine should be temperature controlled and would look rather odd in that spot.

I know you didn't inquire about this, but I couldn't help noticing your art on the walls. It is much too high. The lower edge should be about 8 inches above the top edge of the sofa so that it and the art are in relation to each other.

• PRO
    Chris Zec Photography
    5 years ago
    Great place for colored glass objects!
  • miss lindsey (She/Her)
    5 years ago

It doesn't make much sense to start collecting something just to have a reason to keep this piece. But it could store pretty pottery, organic objects like rocks or driftwood, sugar skulls...

It's surprising that the previous owner didn't want to keep it, I wonder if you contacted them they would want it?

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    5 years ago

"put the kids in some, the cats in the others. done and dusted."

Gotta be honest, this was my first thought too lol. Ninigret is braver than I apparently!

• groveraxle
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

If you've always wanted a collection, now is the time to start it. If you've never wanted a collection, get rid of it. Do NOT fill it with junk from the craft store.

Displaying art collections · More Info

• Judy Mishkin
    5 years ago

well, if you have a collection of kids and cats.... and empty display space... it only makes sense!

• sheloveslayouts
    5 years ago

Put your kids in a pottery/ origami/ woodcraft classes. You'll have it full in no time. I have pottery, paper, and wood creations with no place to put them.

• tatts
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Well, wine needs to be cool, still, dark, and on its side so that the corks don't dry out. So, No.

And I doubt that those shelves will hold much weight without sagging.

• User
    5 years ago

I would use it for driftwood and my "hurricane remnants" that I collect during hurricane season. Matthew and Irma currently, waiting for this years one.

• Tems
    5 years ago

The only thing I can think of that would look decent in there are mini cars

• Kathy Handy Ginter
    5 years ago
    I like the idea of what your children make over the years would be great in there if you’re anything like me very proud of my children’s art and craft no matter how some people think they might look some of them were made when they were only 2yrs old now they are 42 and 31 also a son that would have been 38 but was killed in a car accident at 18 all boys have granddaughter 19 years old My display cabinet holds so many memoriesOh and pls pay on attention to some of these rude people on here
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5 years ago

If you like to display stuff then do it if you never did before I certainly would not go out and buy stuff to put there since it actually does not suit your decor and please lower all your art work a lot

• apple_pie_order
    5 years ago

Kid art. It will fill up in nothing flat. Or one big showy sea shell per shelf, let the kids collect them. Rocks and fossils are kid friendly, too.

• Ana Kinra
    5 years ago

I wonder if you could dismantle this while still preserving the individual display boxes? You could then use individual ones to display delicate pieces throughout the house.

• tqtqtbw
    5 years ago

Geodes or ocean items?

Agate Geode Bookends · More Info

John-Richard Sabrina Modern Coastal White Jagged Selenite Crystal Vase · More Info

GwG Outlet Polystone Acrylic Coral Decor, 7 x5 · More Info

• tozmo1
    5 years ago

No matter what you put in it, keep it. I think it's great and to reproduce something iike this would cost a lot.

• User
    5 years ago

Vintage art glass would be great there.

• Olychick
    5 years ago

I'd buy that for a place to keep my grandson's ubiquitous Lego creations, although I'd not want to display them in that spot.

My first thought was that with some creative cutting of holes, you could have a wonderful cat tower, but it would be crazy hard to keep clean on the inside.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022