SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_36235636

I don't know where to post this one...

User
5 years ago

I despise how rude and dreadful some pro people are toward posters who come looking for suggestions, ideas etc. i will NEVER ask a question on any forum that these pros frequent.

I own grey. Lots of grey. I have loved grey for so many years. It was what I chose for the nursery More than thirty years ago. It is what my daughter chose for HER nursery. Three years ago. I don't have a backsplash. I have the 4" thingy that everybody hates. Some of my artwork is from The Big Box stores. My furniture came from Ashley and my floors are wood look tile. In GREY.

I am quite comfortable with my decisions. I just don't care what others think about my little home. What makes me angry is that so many young people (and anybody under fifty is young) come to various forums ineed of ideas, suggestions and encouragement and they get condescension and put downs. Many times I have wanted to reply with complete snark. I usually don't but, damn, I WANT to. Snark is my other language.

Comments (34)

• eld6161
    5 years ago

"If you see something, say something." Feel free to call out any disrespectful unhelpful comment.

User thanked eld6161
  • maddielee
    5 years ago

Keep in mind that you are reading a forum. Everyone's opinions may be different and the method of delivering that opinion is often different. (I have seen harsh words by some of the "Pros".)

I am someone who has spoken out negatively about the quality of Ashley Furniture. I am sorry if my words upset you, but please don't take what I've said personally. If someone asks about the quality of a brand that I know about, I am liable to give my opinion. Good or bad.

User thanked maddielee
  • Related Discussions

Since I don't know where to post this.

Q

Comments (1)
    Ooops. Wrong forum! Moving right along!
    ...See More

don't know where to ask/post

Q

Comments (6)
    Hmmm... I have IE7, and use AVG, Spy Bot- I wonder if that is why. Sierraeast- are you talking about the video- there is a place to skip/close on those? I don't see it. Yep, I don't mind some ads either- but not on evry thread/post I want to open! I might look into the Firefox- is there a free download, or do you buy it? Thanks.
    ...See More

Don't know where to post

Q

Comments (4)
    This sounds eerily similar to the saga of my brother and sister-in-law. Their youth, the baby, our dedication to them all (specifically the baby) and yet time and time again she used my nephew as bait to make us jump through hoops. And we jumped - over and over and over again. After about five years of threats on her part, despair and terror on ours, it stopped. I don't know exactly what happened, if perhaps she finally matured or if she finally realized that no matter what horrible thing she did to us we would continue to keep the peace in order to be a part of their and my nephew's life. Back then I would grit my teeth and smile but deep down I truly hated her for what she was doing. Now she is my best friend. It was difficult but well worth the fight.
    ...See More

Score! I think...

Q

Comments (15)
    THUNDER Storm. Had to load the dogs up and take them with me. No Rain but raining now. Got all of the foundation raked out of the larger rocks and tossed over the edge to be buried by the fill dirt. Foundation is 61 by 26 less the huge center cement strip I am pooped. The house has an eight by twenty six deck attached. I do not like crawling under the house but like it even less when I have to crawl over rocks. So good to have them out now.House is supposed to come Thursday. I had the noise and fumes thing all addressed in my plan. There was going to be a buffer zone at back of house part of shop. Think rectangle with house across the short end so windows on three sides possible.Two story building. Enter from shop into an eight foot deep room the legnth of the house part.This was the back of the house. There would be regular front entrance like a house. The back entrance area would be freezer room laudry room storage room and my dog grooming room mud room.There would be part opening into house at kitchen in corner to be big walk in pantry.And part would open to the master bath. I had this place down to a T as to what I wanted and fairly simple plan. The biggest part was to be mostly open. Above the back entry room there was storage for shop and just stuff up a stairway.Maybe even door from upstairs.Big maybe. Hubby does not really work in his shop all that much and would open the two large doors if running something. The air compressor would be the noisiest thing. He turns that off when he is not using it. The upstairs of the house was to be one big room with bath. Lots of windows. This would be my art studio and also serve as guest room when we needed. Downstairs master bedroom living room and kitchen. Living room and kitchen open to each other. I am sorry we could not do it this way. Would have been perfect for our small lot. So will the manufactured home. Just a little more fancy than I felt I needed. The stairs might have become a problem as we got older than we already are. LOL The pictures, three pages of them, link are of a model home like we are getting with some changes on our house. Color of our house light butter cream yellow with white trim and white metal roof, we are in heavy snow country.The floor plan in the pictures are of a flipped floor plan than what we are getting. NO garden tub in master bath as in pictures. I have better use for that tub space than tub. Chris Here is a link that might be useful: House
    ...See More
  • Bunny
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Louise, I read a post this afternoon that hit all the items you mention. I'm tired of a particular color, e.g., gray, being dismissed out of hand because it's no longer "trendy." Who cares what they think? That wasn't the question anyway. Some are "Pros" and some aren't. Often it's the same people. Too bad there isn't a blocking feature on Houzz.

ETA: Maddielee was posting when I was. I think it's fine to speak out about quality issues with products.

User thanked Bunny
  • Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
    5 years ago

I am guilty of mentioning gray is past its sell-by date. I try to always mention that I say that only for people who are looking toward being trendy. Gray used because it is the right color in the right place for the right person is very different from gray used because it is all you see on HGTV. I for one mention what I see as the trouble with gray because I worry people who are not very sensitive to design might be absorbing a trend without noticing and then once the trend is done they will be left with something that looks outdated to them.

• User
    5 years ago

What is so ironic to me is that some of those who are the worst offenders at pronouncing anything they dislike to be "dated" have shared their own work in the forum and they are by no means on the cutting edge of today's current style. Quite the opposite, in fact.

User thanked User
  • cooper8828
    5 years ago

I agree, Louise, about not asking a question on those forums. I don't post here often but I do read here a lot. And I have learned a lot. I always thought that if I were to pose a question, I would just create a new temporary profile and use that. It is also annoying when people are belittled for not wanting to spend, for example, $80,000 to redo a kitchen. Crap, I didn't even pay that much for my whole house!

• jill302
    5 years ago

Understand, it is annoying when other posters pro and non-pro are negative toward others, putting poster’s rooms down rather than being encouraging. Not the spirit of the forum that most of us want to see. Having a functional and attractive room does not require following the most recent trends or buying heirloom quality furniture.

However, many pro’s earn their money designing with the latest trends and when the poster is wanting to be trendy, it can be helpful for a poster to learn that grey as a trendy color is on it’s way out. That is assuming the poster has not already purchased a boatload of grey furniture, if that is the case it should never be mentioned. The poster will likely see it soon enough on another thread.

For those of us who have had one of their favorite decor colors pre-trend, aqua in my case, become trendy then fall out of favor it can be discouraging. Especially when we never wanted our color to be trendy in the first place, but it is what it is and we either continue our love of aqua or grey, or move on.

• User
    5 years ago

I really hate that word “dated”! And it is annoying when a “pro” comes along and posts about a room in a way that’s mean spirited or patronizing. People go there for a little support or sharing of ideas and they get slammed. It’s not cool. Between that and the other issues that evolved since Houzz took over, I rarely bother with the decor side anymore.

I get wanting to create a beautiful space, I’m all about that too, but our homes and the decor inside of them is supposed to represent our individual personalities regardless of how old or new it is. Once I stopped paying attention to what others would think and focused more on what spoke to us as a family instead, I was a lot more comfortable with my choices.

I miss those Gardenweb days too Shee. :c(

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    5 years ago

My favorite is when they say, You have to hire a pro! Really?

• Faron79
    5 years ago

I've toyed with putting "Pro" with my name....but, wisely I feel, I haven't. I know a TON about paint, techniques, problems, yada-yada.

But..... nobody asks about that stuff anymore. The Paint forum has just devolved into a "Help!!!! I need a color by tomorrow.....!!!" blab-fest. Curb-appeal crap has now infiltrated that section too! Aaauuugghhhh!

Siiiiiiiiiiigh...........

Faron

• User
    Original Author
    5 years ago

What I want people to realize is that most of the posters and likely all of the lurkers do not have the luxury of those very luxuries. Most people do not have $3,000 for a couch. In fact, most people do not NEED a $3,000 couch. Yes, my couch is Ashley, it is an absolutely fine couch for a single older woman who is not particularly overweight and has held up just fine for twoish years. And, horrors, it is grey/gray. I managed to do the update of my kitchen for under $10,000.. The appliances cost about $1,200 (on sale, of course) and that was for stove, frigerator and dish washer, and the cabinets were repainted. $60,000 for a new kitchen sounds ridiculous to my ears but then my current kitchen is my (teeny tiny) dream kitchen.

In all seriousness, why would anybody come back to either respond or post a new topic when so much of what they see is that snark and nasty? I SO wanted to respond to a "pro" that HER house is incredibly dated and, imo, quite ugly. But I didn't. My mother taught me better.

its a bit like parenting. We all want the same outcome. Happy children and lovely spaces. I think that can be achieved with a little kindness and compassion. And encouragement. We ALL need encouragement.

Thank you all for responding.

• User
    Original Author
    5 years ago

And Aqua happens to be one of my colors too. Is it in or out these days, Jill?

• User
    5 years ago

I completely understand how you feel, Louise. The recent thread in which a young woman shared a photo of a wall that she'd draped with lighted garland made me incredibly sad, as the comments she received were overwhelmingly thoughtless and condescending. She followed up with comments of her own, saying something along the lines of this obviously not being the place for her. She said that she loved the garland she had hung up, and IMO it should have been clear to anyone capable of processing a thought that she wasn't asking to have it figuratively ripped apart. There weren't even helpful suggestions in many of the comments -- just snotty "Oh no you DI''N'T" type responses.

I've called out the rudeness and recently went a couple of rounds with a regular pro who rushed to the defense of another pro who is one of worst offenders when it comes to just being a buttinsky (and then the "defender" deleted ALL of her comments in the thread). It probably does absolutely no good, but makes me feel a little better to call them on their cruelty. I'm so sick of bullies. Of course, calling out bullies sometimes feels like running the risk of being considered a bully yourself. It's particularly mind-boggling when an OP comes back and claims that they don't mind ALL of the input. Then it definitely feels like an exercise in futility.

Everyone has a different communication style, and sometimes things just don't translate well in a forum such as this. I do think, though, that consistent rude comments probably say a good deal about the person making them. If it's habitual, then they are intent upon being ugly.

• eld6161
    5 years ago

I think what people need to be mindful of is to answer the question at hand. If someone wants to know if this rug works, or what white paint you would suggest, stick to the question.

I think if kindly done, someone could say that although there are many whites in your particular case with your exposure X might work better.

Ida, you are being kind in saying that Everyone has a different communication style, and sometimes things just don't translate well in a forum such as this.

Most times it is obvious that the person is being condescending.

• User
    5 years ago

Yes, the snark bothers me. Also, not answering the question asked. This one the OP wanted suggestions for a living plant over the frig. She came back several times to repeat that in different ways. People still posted other things.

https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/5434041/the-perfect-plant-to-place-on-top-of-a-fridge#22787476

Floral_UK stated it best:

"The OP wants a living plant. The alternative suggestions are imaginative and well meaning but to me they are like suggesting to someone who wants a cat that they get a picture of one instead."

Fortunately, the OP had a good sense of humor and weeded through all the off topic suggestions and found one that worked.

• palimpsest
    5 years ago

The argument often given against just answering the question (I would say this is most often given in the Bathroom Forum followed by the Kitchen Forum), is that it's difficult to just ignore what might be the bigger problem you see. (There is a particular obsession with waterproofing in the Bathroom forum where people are insistent that it couldn't possibly have been done correctly or at all when I feel like they have no way of knowing for sure what was done.)

But I think to a large extent one could just answer the questionat hand in the Decorating Forum.

There is one thing that I would like to alter about this statement, personally:

"Feel free to call out any disrespectful unhelpful comment."

I don't know. I feel like if this is an actual personal attack or bullying, sure, and if we were kids, sure.

I don't however, feel that it is particularly productive to call out someone for making fun of your sofa.

I would say "Feel free to completely ignore any disrespectful unhelpful person".

I say this because I bet if we asked everyone to compile a list of the top five condescending and snarky people, many people would have similar to identical lists. And everyone on that list had been called out on their behavior repeatedly and it has absolutely no effect. I think completely ignoring them would be more effective than continually responding to them. People like that want attention, even negative attention. Don't give it to them.

• Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
    5 years ago

When someone makes an unkind comment, I will try very hard to make a kind/positive/suppotive comment of my own. Spending time calling out the unkind comment does not make the person whose house is being trashed feel any better.

• User
    5 years ago

"Feel free to completely ignore any disrespectful unhelpful person".

This should become the Houzz mantra.

• blfenton
    5 years ago

The problem of not calling out an unhelpful comment is that people on the kitchen forum are often one time visitors looking for help. Once their kitchen is finished or they have the information they don't come back. Those of us who are there on a regular basis are able to tune out those who are snarky or rude.

There is a thread over there right now and I would love to call out the pro but I won't. I wouldn't be surprised if the OP gave up and didn't come back. The comments are rude and unhelpful and aren't contributing to the conversation. It would be nice if the pro made some helpful suggestions rather than scorn.

Re gray - I would never do gray BUT I live on the CDN side of the PNW and we're gray from November to April = why oh why would I put it in my house. :)

But - I do want jewel tones to come back. I love jewel tones and not a watered down version of them. I love the vibrancy of them.

• palimpsest
    5 years ago

Hmm, I see what you are saying, but if you said "OP please feel free to ignore unproductive negative comments" it would be directed toward the OP and not a direct response to the troll.

User thanked palimpsest
  • User
    5 years ago

Blfenton, I also love navy, burgundy, dark forest green, deep pink, true purple, ect. I do not like the green that is popular now at all.

• blfenton
    5 years ago

Pal - that's a good suggestion.

User thanked blfenton
  • dragonflywings42
    5 years ago

I will share that for one Pro, I have developed a particular coping mechanism. This Pro shows two names and when she/he gives information that is on point and useful, I think, "Ah, good advice S___. You may have really helped this OP." When, however, the comment is over-the-top rude, snarky, and/or condescending, I think, "Oh, W___, what's going on today that made you say such a thing. Are you completely lacking in empathy?" I think if you collected these comments by type in two different documents, most people would not realize they were coming from the same person.

• User
    5 years ago

There was a thread a few weeks ago in Building a Home where a Pro complained about the advice given by the non-Pros. I posted that the culture is different between GW and Houzz, and since we merged with Houzz, I mostly post in Hot Topics now, where the people are nicer. I was only half-joking.

• User
    Original Author
    5 years ago

That is what I have done Pal. But I really do want to snark at a couple of pro posters. It bothers me so much that a one time poster ends up being a permanent one time poster. And I despise cruelty. Especially the kind of cruelty that is about "making a point", even if that point has zero to do with the OP's question.

Venting here and reading such wonderful responses has quite cheered me up. So THANK YOU all!

• eld6161
    5 years ago

When I said "call out" I wasn't referring to being snarky. Although like Louise it would be how I was feeling.

I meant that you could restate the issue at hand while also letting the "pro" know what your take on the advise is. It can all be diplomatically.

And, it can soften the blow to new comers.

User thanked eld6161
  • User
    5 years ago

I really like the suggestion to direct a comment to the OP about not taking snarky comments to heart. I am not singling out any one person, but it has occurred to me that it's quite possible we are seeing some signs of mental illness in some of the posts. Unmedicated bipolar comes to mind. That is not to excuse the ugly and thoughtless words, but I'm going to endeavor to be aware that some participants may be suffering in ways that we cannot begin to imagine, and that is manifested in what they do here.

User thanked User
  • aprilneverends
    5 years ago

thank you Louise for the thread.

I'm answering randomly, since I just saw it and read comments.

I don't know..my involvement -usually-doesn't make me feel better. First I get really upset because I think an OP is probably upset..then I'm upset that the others are upset, and maybe because of my defending post, among other things..then I try to make them less upset..then it feels like everybody is indeed less upset (but what do I know)..but who's for sure is more upset when all said and done-it's me. It feels like I took everybody's upsetness, either very real or imagined by me, and internalized it-and it's a bit heavy to carry. And I feel like a fool.

And I also want to feel better, I mean, who doesn't:)

But I know I'll get involved-won't happen. Lol. "Feeling better" thing.

One would think that a forum about houses will be a more..relaxing place.

and yes, this.. consolidation of cultures ..doesn't always go smoothly. Between Houzz and GardenWeb. I wish they'd leave "Design Dilemma" as something one can't cross-post wth ..it's really so non-specific everything gets jumbled in there. I understand old posters from Houzz are attached to it-ok so leave it for them(or for whoever wants to use it), as a separate forum. Right now it artificially inflates traffic. That's all it does. The rest is harm.

as for individual circumstances etc..well it's like in this book by Amy Tan. "You think your sadness is unique? everybody has their own sadness".

I perceive it as a given..I don't know what else is happenning in others' life.

Sometimes it's about passion and faith. Like with colors)) I understand they evoke plenty of different emotions in us. But. Gets really hard to discuss. While it should be pleasant, for the luck of the better word, and fascinating to discuss. But nah. Sometimes, feels like politics..))

User thanked aprilneverends
  • User
    5 years ago

I think the reasons certain people/pros are so (relatively) nasty are varied.

Some people just seem to utterly lack any sort of tact and don't seem interested in learning any. They seem to want to project that they are the arbiter of good taste and are here to drop pearls of wisdom on the unwashed masses. :)

Others who seem to be repeatedly cringe-worthy have some health challenges, and/or seem to be somewhat home-bound. I think their snark and meanness is a sign of a deeper problem. Which is all well and good when you've been around for awhile so you know, but it makes me so sad for new people who have no clue. I read the posts of some new folks and think, wow - you're about to get pounded.

Lastly, Forum Fatigue is real my friends. Anyone who has ever spent a lot of time in one place has seen it happen. Some people post a ton and then burn out for whatever reason. As they burn out, some of them get more strident.

Palimpsest, I think you're awesome. :) I love reading what you write because I often learn something. I know you've taken your share of lumps here too and I'm just glad it hasn't driven you away.

User thanked User
  • User
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Forum Fatique is very real. I have been part of various forums over the last twenty years +. Just this year I took a break from one forum that I had been a member, in different forms, over those twenty years. I am friends with many of the women on FB so I still "keep up" with the news. And I may rejoin some time later this year.

My "make up" is probably very different than most posters here. Even though I live in America, I am not American. Politically and socially I am European/Irish. I thought posting about houses and decorating could be a kind of "neutral" space but, for me, neutral can be a hard place to find. I take full responsibility for sometimes getting too involved and not being neutral. I really like the suggestions so many of you have proffered. I will use them and stay "neutral" and avoid that snark.

• cat_ky
    5 years ago

Louise, I dont usually post on this particular forum, but, your post is a very good read. Thank you for speaking out. I am a gray lover too. I dont much love the beige that is being recommended everywhere right now. I am also an aqua lover and have had for the last 60 yrs, some aqua in every room of my house. Trends are not important to me. Many many years ago, I went to school for interior decorating and limited design. It has been so many years, that what I learned is obsolete. Therefore there are a lot of things, that bother me. Lack of color in a room, bothers me, telling every one to remove things from tops of cabinets bothers me, telling everyone to remove things from countertops bother me. No, I dont mean, that junk and other things that are not useful in a kitchen should be left on countertops. I believe that kitchens should be clean, and look like someone actually uses them. My couch was bought new (and was cheap) back in 1994. Color doesnt go with anything I own anymore, but, it wont wear out, so it has a slip cover in gray. I rarely buy a magazine anymore, because, after my husband passed away, money is very tight. However, the other day I did buy one, and I found a saying in it, that explains, exactly how I feel about home decor. It says "Your home should tell a story--a story about you,. So Collect what you love and put those things out for all to see." Just maybe if many would read that saying and put it to use in their own homes, the homes we see on these forums, would look like homes people live in, rather than places, that you cant even find a table near a chair to put a cup of coffee on, and if you do, the chair is too darn uncomfortable to sit in to enjoy the coffee anyway, and the room, although beautifuly and perfectly done, is too darn boring to want to stay in for longer than 5 or 10 minutes. A house is just a house, that needs to be turned into a home, not something that is ready for a magazine photo

User thanked cat_ky
  • User
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Cat, that was an excellent response. Thank you!

"Your home should tell a story" will be my new mantra :-)

• DLM2000-GW
    5 years ago
Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations