SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brad_hall74

Milgard Trinsic: Thoughts?

Brad Hall
5 years ago

I've previously [posted[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/agonizing-over-windows-need-some-thoughtful-advice-dsvw-vd~5336437?n=9) about my ongoing window replacement struggle.

Milgard Tuscany quotes previously came in at HALF the Marvin Infinity quote, with better efficiency and warranty as well. But I do not like the look. Very thick frames and the simulated wood doesn't work for our contemporary exterior. Reviews on the Marvin Infinity are good, and I've handled the window and was impressed, and am close to pulling the trigger, thought the price is painful and will delay other improvements around the house.

Now I come across what appears to be a new line of window from Milgard offering clean contemporary lines, narrow frames and high-end vinyl performance: Trinsic.

Has anyone used these? I am very tempted and am going to dig deeper to see how the price compares to Tuscany.

Comments (66)

• nancizm
    5 years ago

Thanks @UltraWindows that makes sense!

• PRO
    Milgard Windows & Doors
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

@reh2087 great pictures! Along with the replacement windows looks, have you noticed other differences (i.e. energy efficient, sound...) since installing the windows?

• Related Discussions

Better windows? Milgard Trinsic or Simonton Daylight Max

Q

Comments (5)
    I know nothing about Simonton, but we have Milgard aluminum windows in our current 45 year old house and they are all in great shape. At our old house, we got Milgard fiberglass and really liked them. Had one issue with the sliding door (odd water leakage that stained the wood - cause of the leakage was never determined) and they came out and replaced it - nearly 10 years later -at no cost to us. I would highly recommend them based on service alone.
    ...See More

window help! milgard trinsic black French patio door

Q

Comments (2)
    "This could be preferred but I’m not sure how different the black colors are for Ultra vs Trinsic" I would find out how close they are and or ask if they have the same black available or plan to do so as that is your best option.
    ...See More

Will Milgard Trinsic windows & patio doors hold up in AZ heat?

Q

Comments (7)
    I did look at the Milgard Aluminum windows initially because they didn’t have thick frames, but they have uneven Sightlines, and the reviews weren’t very good. It appeared to be issues with the window quality. Are there other window companies with thermally broken aluminum? Another factor is that I have 5 arched windows, including a large 94” X 58”, two 58 X 58”, and two 29” X 58”. I have been told that only some window manufacturers can make a “True Half Round” or “True Half Circle”. Also my house is stucco.
    ...See More

Simonton, Ply Gem, Milgard vinyl options - thoughts?

Q

Comments (2)
    No one will warranty installation on their windows without their installers installing. Plygems is a poor window by most all metrics.
    ...See More
  • reh2087
    5 years ago

@milgard windows & doors. We aren’t living in the house yet but we know they are more energy efficient and outside sound is less! We also love the auto lock feature.

• PRO
    Milgard Windows & Doors
    5 years ago

@reh2087 that is great to hear! Would you mind providing a review for our product on either our Houzz profile or Milgard.com?

• Jackson Chou
    5 years ago

What exterior color are those in the stock photo for Trinsic? It looks like black but when I look up Trinsic's exterior's premium color options, the closest color resembling black is bronze.

• kariyava
    5 years ago

nancizm do you mind sharing the price difference you were quoted between Tuscany and Trinsic? We are leaning toward the Tuscany mainly because they have been around for a while and we have been able to see them in person, but I am not opposed to considering the Trinsic, especially if they would save me money.

• PRO
    Milgard Windows & Doors
    5 years ago

@jacksonchou the closest color is Bronze. Just visit a showroom and see the color chips or window sample to determine if it will work on your project. Thank you.

• HU-804256054
    5 years ago

I am kind of in the same boat, got quote for both Tuscany and Trinsic. I am trying to replace two picture windows 72x72. While Trinsic is cheaper compared to Tuscany, i am trying to understand if the low cost comes purely because of the design (less vinyl) or is there a quality compromise. Given my windows are particularly big, i want to make sure i pick the right one that is also going to be durable. If they both are the same, i probably would choose Trinsic because of the looks and the cheaper cost.

• HU-804256054
    5 years ago

A sales person i talked to also trying to convince me that i should not get Milgard because the company is up for sale and he wasn't sure how the warranty would be impacted. Wonder if folks have any inputs on that. thanks!

• PRO
    Milgard Windows & Doors
    5 years ago

@ HU-804256054 The quality of Trinsic Series is the same as our Tuscany Series. Just confirm with your Milgard Dealer that the large window has the energy efficiency you are looking for. There are different energy package options to choose from. Also, nothing has changed with the Milgard Full Lifetime Warranty. Would you be able to email me at social@milgard.com so I can find out the name of the Milgard Dealer who is providing you with a quote? Thanks.

• Mrs. S
    5 years ago

Well, now I'm interested to know if Milgard is up for sale. Milgard, can you confirm that if the company is sold, the Full Lifetime Warranty will be honored? Can you confirm or deny whether the company is likely to be sold, or up for sale?

• PRO
    Milgard Windows & Doors
    5 years ago

Hello @Mrs. S - The information that Masco posted about Milgard is available here: http://masco.com/news/news-stream/masco-announces-intention-to-explore-strategic-alternatives-for-cabinetry-a/ They have a Media Contact name listed who would be able to answer questions. Thank you.

• jlawson93711
    4 years ago

Just signed a contract tonight for 14 Trinsic windows and two sliding glass doors. It will be about a month before they are installed, but we are looking very forward to seeing the end result

• User
    4 years ago

My son just installed the trinsic and they look and operate great. Once the trim is installed there will be less frame showing, so they are working out as expected. Really reduced outside noise and Temperature. I’ve had Millard for 29 years at different locations and have been happy.

• Brad Hall
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@Charles would love to hear an update on how it turned out, and any photos you might have! I think our house is a very similar situation, but I've put the project off for now.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    4 years ago

+1. Pics would be great. We seem to hear a good bit about this window.

• Charles Modica
    4 years ago

I will definitely provide an update and pictures once windows go in.

Brad Hall thanked Charles Modica
  • bwsu52
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

@charles thanks for the great info! Curious what the approx price difference was between white and bronze exterior for Trinsic Series?

• deja V
    4 years ago

How are the Trinsic windows compared with the Simonton Daylight Max? Thanks.

• Ken
    4 years ago

Charles Modica -- any further thoughts on the Trinsic? Thanks.

• Vicki Yu
    4 years ago

I just ordered 35 Milgard Tuscany Bronze exterior, white interior windows and the Tuscany patio sliding doors for my new home construction. 5 week lead time. I had considered the Trinsic line also hoping for a slimmer frame profile but when I saw them in the showroom, the frame sizes seemed really similar between the two lines. The main difference I thought was due to the hardware. The Tuscany smarttouch hardware is a bit more bulky compared to the Trinsic one, which lines up with the frame itself. I like the look of the Trinsic hardware, but I preferred the Tuscany for ease of operation. I also found a website that did a good job comparing the two in terms of other features. https://www.doorandwindowplus.com/milgard-styleline-vs-trinsic-vs-tuscany.html

• Ken
    4 years ago

Thanks for the comments, Vicki. As I am in SLC, I am down to Milgard Trinsic and Amerimax.

• Cheryl Whitney
    4 years ago

We wanted the Trinsic however our Milgard rep said they do not come large enough for our windows. Does anyone know of another comparable window company that has limited trim...I like more glass and thinner frame. Looking for vinyl in Southern California. Thank you@

• Jackson Chou
    4 years ago

I would check out Marvin windows and see if they have any windows similar to the Trinsic line.

• PRO
    Milgard Windows & Doors
    4 years ago

Hi Cheryl, what size of windows are you looking for? We have other comparable lines that might fit your size requirements.

Thanks!

Milgard Social Team

• Chris V
    3 years ago

Has anyone gone with the Trinsic line in the PNW and care to share their photos and experience?

My wife and I are in Portland and debating between Trinsic/Tuscany/Simonton Daylight Max to replace original Milgard aluminum windows.

We like the look of the Tuscany for our 1989 house, but are concerned that the wider frame will eat into our existing jamb width. We currently have blinds that fit nicely inside the window jamb and don’t want to be forced to mount blinds on the outside of the window.

Thanks!

• Beth Azure
    3 years ago

reh2087, would you mind sharing what your house paint color is? We are painting our stucco house and are looking for something similar! It's beautiful.

• few2lis
    3 years ago

Does the Milgard Trinsic window have Z bar installation for a stucco house Needing replacement windows??

• reh2087
    3 years ago

Beth, thank you! It is Tarnished Silver, Dunn Barr Paint

• reh2087
    3 years ago

Few2lis we have a stucco home that had aluminum windows. When the installation company came out, we found out Milgard Tuscany was our only option for retrofit over our aluminu. We couldn’t do the trinsi. Hope this helps. I posted pictures if you scroll up you will see them.

• PRO
    Milgard Windows & Doors
    3 years ago

@few2lis yes. This is available for Zbar.

• jlawson93711
    3 years ago

We have stucco and Trinsic installed last year over existing metal frames.

• jack_bauer
    3 years ago

We changed out all our windows about 14 from old aluminum to Milgard trinsic in a Seattle suburb.. so far we like them, no complaints! They are definitely more insulated than the old ones. the lines are very clean, the hardware works and looks good.

• sjraley
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Milgard is coming out with a black interior for the trinsic line this spring. Definitely been waiting for this. I don't dig white interior windows!!!!!

• walrusaur
    2 years ago

I don't suppose anybody with Milgard Trinsic windows installed could comment on how they've hold up over the months since they've been installed?

• Jovi Flor
    2 years ago

I got a quote today for windows, im interested in the amsco brand, they also have a small profile frame. im also interested in Milgard trinsic, but I was told ( by window store owner) that milgard is having issues and has pulled them for now as they make adjustments? Does anyone have any more information on this.?

• PRO
    Milgard Windows & Doors
    2 years ago

@Jovi Flor Hello, I'm not sure which store you are referencing, but we can assure this is just simply not true! The Trinsic Series remains one of our most popular window product and is available in all Milgard markets. I recommend reaching out to another Milgard Dealer in your area if you are looking for information on the Trinsic Series. www.milgard.com/dealers 

• Jovi Flor
    2 years ago

Thank you, glad to hear trinsic is available! I will look for another dealer.

• nester44
    2 years ago

In 2019, we installed Milgard Trinsic windows and doors as replacements for 47-year-old single-pane aluminum windows and doors in a house that we rent to our niece. My main considerations were to get the narrowest frame, double-pane, low-E windows possible that were California-compliant, without breaking the bank. The Milgard Trinsic seemed to fit our needs. I decided on the “new construction” option even though that was more expensive and disruptive than the retrofit option (all the interior and exterior house trim around the windows and doors had to be removed and replaced) because that option produced the most glass and the smallest amount of visible vinyl. I had 3 small-ish sliding doors, two fixed polygons, and 6 two-panel sliding windows installed. I selected white vinyl inside and outside because the interior walls and trim of the house are white, and exterior white vinyl was most versatile in terms of the house siding and trim colors. (A bronze exterior vinyl window would have limited what I could use as paint colors in the future.) We were pleased with the result, even though the installers did not do a good job on replacing the wooden trim around the windows and doors (sloppy caulking around the wooden trim, etc.). I was able to fix all of that and do the needed repainting, etc.; my concern was to get the windows themselves installed satisfactorily, and the installers did that part OK. The new windows have been in for 2 years and my niece immediately noticed that it was quieter inside the house and that the temperature control inside was much better. Here are some pictures.

• HU-205014478
    2 years ago

Does the Milgard Trinsic come with flanges?

• PRO
    East Bay 10
    2 years ago

Yes.

• Rachel
    2 years ago

Also considering Milgard Trinsic for a full home window replacement. Does anyone have photos they could share of these installed? I'm especially curious to see exterior trim as we have an older home and I would like to mimic the current large sloping exterior sill. Has anyone used these in a traditional or craftsman style home?

• minahappy
    2 years ago

Could use your advice. Think we will go with trinsic because I like the 4 panel sliding door look in black. but we need two open swing hinged patio doors too …I don’t see that option on trinsic . Only ultra. Can I mix and max ??

• PRO
    Milgard Windows & Doors
    2 years ago

@minahappy Our Door Selection Guide may be of help for you! https://www.milgard.com/door-selection-guide

• Boyan Syarov
    last year
    last modified: last year

Just received 17 Trinsic windows and two sliding doors this week. Absolutely hideous. So much so that I'm considering pausing my addition to wait for windows from a different manufacturer. There's not a single one without some sort of defect. From scuffs across the frame, to hinges that don't function (on 3 of them) to a sliding door manufactured on the wrong side with the lock mechanism placed that they're locked in open position. Glue visibility down the window. Seals bunched up and sticking out, sometimes even ripped. Wobbling handles. Missing hole coverings

. There seems to be absolutely no quality control. I have never seen such appalling product. Nothing like brochures or what I saw in samples. We waited almost three months to receive Milgard's very worst. Absolute disappointment.

• PRO
    Milgard Windows & Doors
    last year

@Boyan Syarov I'm so sorry to hear of the disappointment in your new windows. Please reach out to your dealer that you ordered from so they can help schedule any necessary repairs or replacements.

• Nicole Bussard
    7 months ago

I have Milgard Tuscany series casements, one on either side of a picture window. The minute they were installed, I open both casements all the way. I am in Southern California, so open windows for evening breezes are key to enjoying them. What do you know, when I tried to leave the house a couple hours later, the windows would not close. I had to leave them open for a few days until someone was able to come out and look at them. Milgard sent someone who “fixed” them by preventing them from opening a full 90°. They know each only open 80°. I tried to complain about this, but was difficult to get any kind of response and they seemed to be trying to kick the can back to the dealer. It is four years later and I still have these casement windows, but specifically two provide air into the house that do not even open all the way. I regret it daily and wish I had just gone with a double slider.

• B E
    2 months ago

I purchased a vinyl Milgard patio door. I had nothing but issues since the install. The install was done incorrectly. The Milgard vinyl door is nothing but problems. You will regret purchasing a vinyl Milgard door. Take my advice don’t purchase anything from Milgard. There are much nicer doors out there. I made a mistake, so don’t you make the same mistake.

• millworkman
    2 months ago

" The install was done incorrectly. "

How does that fall on Milgard the as they do not install?