SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sharon2079

Help identifing some zinnias - please

sharon2079
5 years ago

I planted several different kinds of zinnias last spring and I am now in love with zinnias.....

I did not even know that I could grow them in Florida, but someone gave me a plant and it did ok for about 4 weeks. Bloomed and then promptly died. But I guess it went to seed, and it put out another plant that lived for along time with quite a display of flowers. Then on vacation I saw several different kinds in NH and my husband asked me why I did not grow those..... I took that as I could purchase them and plant them here in Florida.

I did purchase some Zowie as zenman said they would probably (maybe) help be to get some hummingbirds. I have been waiting for fall to plant as it is terribly hot right now. The Zinnias I have that are up, are still blooming, but I thought it might be better to plant closer to late September or early October. I live in Florida zone 10.

Anyway I have several different kinds of Zinnias that I planted, and I am really not sure what is what.... in fact, I think some might have been mislabeled. I planted some cactus, but none of them are what I expected to be a cactus picture.....

I Don't think that is a cactus, but could be wrong. It is where I planted the cactus package. They are all this shape.... and all about this size. Large sprawled bush, with 4 1/2 to 6 inch blooms.

Not sure what this is..... there is only one of him. He is about 3 1/2 tall. Kind of bushy, covered in zinnias that are about the size of a nickle.

And this I think is purple prince.

I am collecting seed, from these and plan on planting them, though I know I won't necessarily get the same plants, but as I have been following you can grow your own zinnias, I am looking forward to what I get... but would also like to know what I planted.... I am pretty sure that I had California giants, cut and come again, Oklahoma, purple prince, cactus...... I should have labeled where I planted, but I did not and now at your mercy..... the only ones I know for sure where I planted them are the cactus ones, but I thought they would have been more frilly at least according to the pictures on the front of the package.

I am collecting seed, from these and plan on planting them, though I know I won't necessarily get the same plants, but as I have been following you can grow your own zinnias, I am looking forward to what I get... but would also like to know what I planted.... I am pretty sure that I had California giants, cut and come again, Oklahoma, purple prince, cactus...... I should have labeled where I planted, but I did not and now at your mercy..... the only ones I know for sure where I planted them are the cactus ones, but I thought they would have been more frilly at least according to the pictures on the front of the package. just need to cut off the flowers. I kind of wanted several to go to seed, but the wind has split some of the plants. Would it be better to cut the plant, or would they root where they touch the ground. I think I read that some zinnias will root where they touch the ground/ Does that mean others don't root when touching the ground.... So much to learn..... and I am. I have been going through your past you can grow zinnias articles......

Thanks for any help.

Sharon

I also bought some Parks Whoppers for the fall.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio