SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sun2shinie

Best Minis/Mini Floras?

Sun2shinie, Arkansas z7a
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hi!

Al and I are looking to expand our mini/mini flora collection. What are your favorite mini/mini floras and why? Pictures welcome. :-)

We are hoping to do the buy 3 get 2 sale with for Love of Roses. He likes Alakazam and I like Bees Knees.

Thanks for your help and advice!

Shannon :-)

Here are a few pictures of minis we already have:

APRICOT TWIST

Comments (45)

• Sun2shinie, Arkansas z7a
    Original Author
    5 years ago

OAKINGTON RUBY

DIAMOND EYES

CUPCAKE

BUSY BEE

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    5 years ago

The absolute best in my mind is Soroptimist International. Then, Joy, Whirlaway, and Bees Knees.

Sun2shinie, Arkansas z7a thanked diane_nj 6b/7a
  • Related Discussions

Bridges Roses and mini-floras/minis

Q

Comments (10)
    I was also sad to hear of Bridge's closing the nursery. I really liked doing business with Dennis and found his roses to be very healthy and vigorous growing. I do hope some other nursery will pick up all of his roses he hybridyzed as there are still a few that I wanted. I did get lucky and got a single bush of Ricky Hendrick and I really like it alot. John
    ...See More

MiniFloras from Rosemania: Help me choose

Q

Comments (10)
    Hmm...Conundrum sounds really good, but maybe too vigorous for my needs. I am looking for pot roses. Plus color...I just got Dancing Flame. Is that not awfully similar in color? I'm still intrigued, though. That low petal count thing is a bit of an issue for me. Reminds me of another rose that is a favorite of mine in many ways, EXCEPT, low petal count. Looks terrific briefly in exhibition stage, then quickly opens out and does not look as full as I like. I know, picky picky. That rose is Salute. Anyone grow Kismet? It's supposed to stay small. No idea how big Bonnie Sky gets. Butter Cream I only had for 2 months before it was stolen. Not enough time to see how vigorous it would become. But I got it to be a pot specimen, anyway. The blooms were not only perfection but also long-lasting, much like the black-red Memphis Magic I have on my front steps. I think the two roses will make a stunning contrast to each other. Anyway, Butter Cream had nice clean foliage that was well-matched to the large blooms.
    ...See More

Mini-Flora Rose List, February 2007

Q

Comments (1)
    Please use March 2007 list Thank You, Ron S
    ...See More

Best mini floras for hot, humid climate

Q

Comments (2)
    I don't know about Florida, but the Kristin I obtained from Nor'East does not need spraying for mildew in my California garden like all the rest of my minis. It is labeled as a mini, not a mini flora, but it's character is like that of a mini flora. Deep green leaves, a white pedal with deep pink edges, and the bloom stays in a perfect bud stage for a very long time before opening. Also my Rockin' Robin Shrublet rose (a little bigger plant but not by much) has not needed any spraying for mildew. It is a white with light and dark pink stripes. It has abundant blooms. These two roses look very well together along with Child's Play, a white with lighter pink edges. Child's Play does need to be sprayed for mildew though. A bouquet with these three are very striking. Elegant, with Rockin' Robin being a little bit of an impudent standout.
    ...See More
  • Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    5 years ago

That is great news Diane, I have Joy and Whirlaway coming tomorrow from For love of roses. How tall has your Whirlawzy gotten ?

I had First Choice planted but I could never get a hold on the bs. I finally tossed it. Brookstown Inn is a dud. It just doesnt bloom.

My very favorite is called 1st and foremost. It is impossible to capture the color of that rose with my phone

IIt is a fluorescent pinky Orange it blooms frequently and is super healthy

Robyn Alonzo

Tiffany Lynn

Sun2shinie, Arkansas z7a thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    5 years ago

Those are all so pretty! The only mini I grow is the climbing red Cascade, although I have Jean LaJoie cutting that seems to have taken! Yay! I've always liked Green ice and hope to get it someday. Perhaps Moses will chime in as I know he has grown minis extensively at other points in his Rose growing career. As a side note, you might look at Burlington's website as she carries a huge selection of Minis many from the time she worked with Ralph Moore.

Sun2shinie, Arkansas z7a thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Yay!! :-D Thank you!

Diane- I have added Soroptimist International to orders and taken it off about 10 times. I just need to get it. lol And Joy is soooo pretty too!

Kristine- Beautiful! I love the dark canes on Robyn Alonzo and Al will love that red color. What size pots do you use for your minis? I think I might've underestimated for our Busy Bee and over estimated for Cupcake and Apricot Twist. It is probably too soon to tell though.

It's going to be hard to pick just 5. Not sure I can? I'm also very tempted by Miss Mabel, Olivia Rose, Lady E'Owyn, and Hello Sunshine!.

Maybe I'm missing them, but are there just not that many darker purple or strongly fragrant minis?

Thanks again!

Original Author
    5 years ago

Oh yes!! Thank you Vaporvac! I'd totally forgotten about Burlington. :facepalm: It's Linda, right?? I think she had several purples I looked at in the spring, like Purple Lodge and Skyliner. And also I kinda remember a purple mini that grabbed me... hmmm... I have more looking to do. :-)

5 years ago

Her name is actually Burling but I think you have the right place as she does carry purple Lodge. I didn't realize she had purple Skyliner so I'll have to check that out cuz I've been wanting that one. Thank you.

5 years ago

It was a toss up between Hello Sunshine and Kismet. They have so many great choices. I also picked Eternal Flame

DoDonerail

Old Tappan

Joy

Whirlaway

IIm on the waiting list for perfect Moment.

Be sure to check the new releases.

Code of honor is there and I totally spaced it.

I actually use pretty large pots. They do get fairly large.

5 years ago

First and Foremost

• wirosarian_z4b_WI
    5 years ago

Only have a few mini's in pots, but 2 stand outs are Ralph Moore's 'Green Ice' & 'Sweet Chariot', an added bonus with 'Sweet Chariot' is fragrance.

Sun2shinie, Arkansas z7a thanked wirosarian_z4b_WI
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Vaprovac- Oh yikes! Sorry! My bad. I went back and checked some of my notes. Is Linda at Long Ago Roses?? I need to get my ducks in line. Al and I talked about maybe placing orders this summer/fall from Long Ago Roses, Burlington, Hummingbird, and For Love of Roses and I just mixed things up. Kind of a who's on first?

Also it looks like the list from Long Ago Roses has Purple Skyliner (but not Purple Lodge).

Original Author
    5 years ago

wirosarian- Wow! Sweet Chariot is lovely! Purple and a fragrance. Thank you! :-)

HMF seems to show slightly conflicting info/opinions on mature size and even fragrance. I'm thinking it would probably grow rather large in our zone (7a)? On fragrance I think it might depend on the day and the nose, but it at least it seems to have some fragrance for everyone.

Original Author
    5 years ago

Kristine- I looked at Code of Honor. Very pretty! We have Rock n Roll and I wonder how it compares? Our Rock n Roll is kind of puny, but I told Al we should give it more time. It's next to Bordeaux which always looks beautiful.

Our smallest pots are these yellow fiberglass type pots. They are approximately 16"H x 16"W across the top. This is Cupcake's home and it's so cute today. :-)

5 years ago

I like those pots S2s! And cupcakes is adorable! I think once I get my major beds done I'll get a couple of these little ones to put in some pretty pots. I'm currently using them to how ones that need to go in the ground. They're pretty though I would look gorgeous with some roses cascading down. I see you're mentioning Bordeaux again. I think I'm going to get it with my High Country order. Thanks for the reminder!

Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you vaporvac. :-) I have always liked adding pots in the flower beds, but have gone a bit crazy with it lately. lol

I just ran out and took a few pictures of our Bordeaux for you. The little puny guy on the left is Rock n Roll. Not stellar pictures...I obviously haven't deadheaded in a couple days. ;-)

5 years ago

Whoo hoo. Got my order from For Love of Roses. I meed to get them in pots. I think I will start with small pots until next spring.

5 years ago

Sun2shinie, my Rock and Roll has been a slow starter. I was even going to move it from its place of honor. But all of a sudden in the middle of its second year it is putting on lots of growth. Im so glad because I love the blooms.

I would still love Code of Honor.

Original Author
    5 years ago

Code of Honor is beautiful. I was very tempted by it also and I’m glad you brought it to our attention. Thanks!

Thats great to hear about Rock n Roll. Al has been really looking forward to it, and has been disappointed. We planted it last spring (‘17) so I figure it just needs more time?

Placed our order with For Love of Roses last night. Was so difficult to pick just 5. In the end I chose 6. lol

Still working on orders for Burlington, Long Ago Roses and Hummingbird Roses. Exciting. :-)

5 years ago

What was your final order ?

I don't know why I said that I got Old Tappan znd Donerail, I didnt get either one

Original Author
    5 years ago

Hi Kristine. :-)

I placed our order with FOR LOVE OF ROSES for: Hello Sunshine!, Lady E’owyn, Memphis Music, Deja Blu, Joy and Alakazam. Richard emailed that Alakazam was on backorder and not available until mid-late October. Al reeeeally wants Alakazam, but I'm worried about waiting to get all of them in October with that one. I'm hoping we can possibly get on a waiting list for Alakazam, go ahead and ship the others and order Alakazam when its ready to go.

I haven't placed the rest of our orders yet, but we are looking at these from Long Ago Roses: Brass Band, Soroptimist International, William Lobb and Sweet Chariot. And these from Burlington: Robin Alonso, Scentsational, Lavender Crystal, Bee's Knees, Stranger and Purple Lodge.

I'm hoping to test planting roses other than knockouts in the front yard with William Lobb. Most of the rest I still have to figure out where to place them. We went to one of the local nurseries yesterday looking for a few big focal point pots. Even in pots I think Al maybe loosing some of his sod. LOL But. He has been picking out/insisting on quite a few of these new roses so he has to work with me on placement. ;-)

5 years ago

You ordered really nice ones

I love Robin Alonzo.

Memphis Music

• drich30099
    5 years ago

First one, the double, I purchased at a small local grocery store for $1. I believe the tag said “Kordana.”

the second one shared to me from a friend. Love them both and do so well here in lower Michigan, z5.

Sun2shinie, Arkansas z7a thanked drich30099
  • drich30099
    5 years ago

• drich30099
    5 years ago

This is double goes with first picture

5 years ago

That gold color is very striking.

• drich30099
    5 years ago

Yes it is!

Original Author
    5 years ago

Kristine- your Memphis Music is beautiful! Love it. Got an email from FLOR this morning that he has our name on an Alakazam, and our other babies will ship tomorrow or Monday. I probably won't place the other orders until next week. We are hanging out with the grandbaby a bunch this weekend. ;-)

drich- Kordana is so pretty. I love that golden yellow almost orange coloration. It kind of reminds me of how South Africa looks at times.

5 years ago

I better check with Richard at for love of roses and make sure I am on the waiting list for perfect moment.

5 years ago

Sterling has the best roses... If you ask her she'll make fabulous recommendations of things we've never heard of.

• sabalmatt_tejas
    5 years ago

I really like ‘blue mist’ and ‘Denise cassegrain’

Sun2shinie, Arkansas z7a thanked sabalmatt_tejas
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Ann- Wow! Lavender Crystal is soooo pretty! I'm still working out the details, but I know we are getting LC, Bee's Knees and Stranger from Burlington. Yay!! Both Burlington and Long Ago are out of stock on several Al and I had on our list. However those three from Burlington are definite and I'm super ok with getting recommendations and researching other options to round out our order of 6 from her.

Vaporvac- Which shop is Sterling with? I've been emailing with Richard from FLOR, Linda from Long Ago and Burling from Burlington. They've all been super nice and helpful. :-)

I'm also looking for another repeat blooming purple climber... preferably a darker purple and fragrant. Both Burlington and Long Ago seem to have some super pretty options that might work.

This really is so much fun. I'm so thankful for you all. :-)

5 years ago

Okay. I really need to check my posts because voice recognition is not very good. I meant to say Burling not Sterling. Sorry for the confusion I hope it didn't cause you to scramble trying to find information on a rose vendor called Sterling.

Original Author
    5 years ago

LOLOLOLOL

Hmmmm. How did you guess I did that?? Not much comes up when you Google “sterling roses” btw.

No worries. ;-)

• Ann9BNCalif
    5 years ago

Second attempt to post this comment and photos! Hope it works.

Sunglow - I just started growing this rose which I got from For Love of Roses. Here it is below winning an award at our last rose society show. It's known to be strongly fragrant, which isn't typical of most mini floras.

Stars and Stripes which I got from Burling Leong. I made the mistake of planting this rose in the ground a bit too soon so it was slow to take off. Now that she has her roots established, she's a very strong grower, blooms a lot and bees love the stamens!

Marriotta has a picotee edging that doesn't show up well but adds to the charm of this rose. I got it from Rogue Valley Roses and I believe it's out of stock and RVR doesn't seem to get their roses back in stock to quickly. For Love of Roses appears to have the light pink version of this rose but I've managed to restrain myself.

I don't own Norma Jean (Long Ago Roses) with its lovely gold color but it wins awards at rose shows and has a beautiful form.

Ann

• pippacovalent
    5 years ago

I don't have any minis...yet...but the stand outs at my local botanical garden are Soroptomist Int, which has a striking look that makes you run up to look closer...Jean Kennealy which is just always so pretty looking and still blooming away now mid November and is tall and so narrow I can picture her fitting nicely in many garden spots... and Scentsational, which smells amazing even as buds.

5 years ago

Pippa, it is pretty easy to get addicted to the minis, there are so many that I want.

For unique minis check out the nrw releases from For love of roses and look for Dave Bang roses.

• pippacovalent
    5 years ago

I really do seem to find roses of every type that I need in my garden. I love both OGRs and modern roses and now I've really been admiring the minis I see.

• Ken Wilkinson
    5 years ago

I've been growing mini's and miniflora's since 1990. It all started with Pierrine and Tiffany Lynn and has grown over the years. I enjoy several of the newer varieties like Joy, Renegade, Chessies Favorite, Whirlaway, Bold Ruler, Cooper and several others. But I also enjoy many of the older varieties like Kristen, Soropitimist International, Jean Kennealy, Glowing Amber, Leading Lady and several others.

Here's a few pic's

Glowing Amber

Leading Lady

Chessies Favorite

Tiffany Lynn

Arcanum

Cooper

Pierrine

Odessa

Kristin

5 years ago

Ken, thank you for sharing your pictures. You have some beauties.

Does your Tiffany Lynn get mildew ? Mine is always mildewy on the new growth even with spraying.spraying. She is in a pot on great sun. Not sure what is up with her.

As per your recommendation, I bought Joy and Whirlaway. I heard that Whirlwind can get rather large. Is that true for you ?

• pippacovalent
    5 years ago

Wow Ken those are amazing, I really like Arcanum, I was eyeing it on the For,Love of Roses website too.

• Ken Wilkinson
    5 years ago

Kristiene---I spray every two weeks during the growing season. I have no fungal problems with TL or any of my roses. I use Bayers. An own root Whirlaway will get about 3 to 4 ft tall. It is more an up right grower. I have a grafted Whirlaway that is 5 to 6 ft tall. it is 12 yrs old and still going strong. I added another this past summer. Yeah, I like it.

5 years ago

Thanks Ken, that helps me decide where to plant Whirlaway.

• SylviaWW 9a Hot dry SoCal
    5 years ago

I'm in zone 8A, inland SoCal. I also bought the 3-and-2 special from FLOR in late summer.

So far, Buttercream, bright yellow, has had two very shapely blooms.

Hello Sunshine has bloomed once, should be a white-pink blend.

Crystal Palace hasn't bloomed yet, but it looks healthy and I'm sure will bloom eventually (all white).

Unbridled has had a very nice white-yellow bloom.

Deja Blu is dead - just withered away almost overnight a week or so ago. It was on the drip system, so I have no idea what happened - the winds? The late-season heat?

I wonder if RIchard would replace it. How is FLOR about that sort of thing?

Minifloras have great potential for patio gardening, which is most of what I do now. I can't wait to see how big these will get.

5 years ago

All of mine bloomed as well

All are alive so far lol

You should give Richard a call and see what he says

There are still a bunch that I want but I am holding out for warmer weather so I dont have to babysit them through the cold weather