SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mxk3

Had to harvest winter squash early -- help with storage prep needed

mxk3 z5b_MI
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I grew two different varieties of Kabocha (Black Forest and Sunshine) and had to harvest -- some had separated from the vine by themselves, but mainly because the vines were dying. I'm not sure if it was natural die-back already or some sort of disease that hit, but regardless I now have a wheelbarrow full of squash. Most of them I think are ripe already anyway because the stems are mostly brown (some with a bit of green streaked in) and th skins is relatively hard - not super-hard, but definitely not soft. Some the them are not ripe yet, but I'll just eat them as-is so as not to waste them.

I am new to trying to store winter squash, but I know I have to cure them. What is a good way to do it this time of year? Would leaving in the wheelbarrow in the barn be ok (out of direct sunlight but is warm in there), or should I leave outside in the direct sun (temps not brutal - 70-80s predicted this week --- supposed to rain, though). Do I need to cover them with something, maybe shadecloth? What about the critters? Also, should I dip them in a dilute bleach or vinegar solution before storage?

The bigger problem is storage -- I'm not sure of the temps in the crawl space right now, after curing for a couple weeks, I need to store them cool about 50s-60s, right? Any suggestions? Barn and garage are going to be too warm, only place I can think of is the crawl.

Ugh too early for this!

Appreciate any tips/tricks you share - this will be a learning experience for me, that's for sure.

Comments (3)