SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
davidrt28

deadliest summer ever!

davidrt28 (zone 7)
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

decided on that headline due to the melodramatic tenor of our times!

So, we had a very wet May, then a long hot rainless but very humid stretch...and then, the wettest early-to-mid summer spell I can remember. (but not late summer - that was around Hurricane Irene in 2011)

But it is proving to be the worst spell of summer death for my rarities ever. I'm probably forgetting a few things. Without further ado:

Plants definitely dead:

Rhododendron 'Evening Glow' - had long been struggling, I think Greer had sold me something with super knotted roots. Yes, I will speak ill of departed nurseries!

R. 'Double Eagle' - just not established enough; impressed a norcal bred yellow survived last two summers, w/o antifungal, and the following winter. Shows it is at least fairly tough! Need to get a grafted one. It is the intense yellow seen here: https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/5263994/sonoma-horticultural-nursery-and-garden-tour#22097585

Rhododendron 'Wild Ginger' - I'll never been completely sure whether it was the dry spell, or the deluge that followed. I definitely did give it some sips of water, at least twice, during the dry spell. I think in these kind of cases it might really be both. The drought stresses it so the Phytophthora can really go to town when it does rain. Although it might make a nice grafted plant here (not too much winter damage at 0F) - it just wasn't a very special flower considering the trouble to grow it. 'Sun Dust' is a roughly similar or even more showy flower, on a tougher plant. Maybe these Barlup hybrids look better in the PNW.

Escallonia 'Apple Blossom' of commerce...oh little Escallonia, the ups and down we've been through...mostly downs LOL. Poor thing creaked along since the founding of this garden in 2006. Would languish in the heat of summer though never die back, and was killed back by colder winters but only a tiny bit survived this one, because of the lack of snow cover. I think the first wet spell (May) actually finished off those couple remaining 8-9" stems with maybe 20 leaves each. SAD!

One of two remaining Abies delavayi seedlings. A 3rd died in a wet spell awhile ago.

Sequoia 'Atlanta' - ground around it just got way too wet, and I didn't realize the magnitude of the problem until too late. Was winter stressed but not winter killed. Others, ('Chapel Hill', and 'Soquel' are ok)

Large 10' Fagus 'Dawyck Purple' that I had just severely root corrected/pruned to relieve knotting. It was growing back and would have made it in a normal year. Main learning issue here is to fully examine ALL roots of all future woody ornamentals.

Fuchsia 'Porphyria' - the F. magellanica parentage seemed to give it hybrid vigor, but apparently, heat sensitivity compared to plain F. regia. Which is fine.

Plants on life support:

Rhododendron 'Cinquero' - probably the last one I did NOT either plant on a mound or a slope. Before I realized the extreme benefit of that in this climate. I knew it was risky and here we are. About 1/2 of it is dead, I applied emergency anti-fungal to it. This does appear capable of rescuing plants that aren't completely dead, though I don't recommend it as an approach/technique.

R. 'Orange hose-n-hose-ola'. Bizarre name Hank gave it but not officially registered yet. Similar to 'Wild Ginger' and 'Sun Dust'. As above, one of the last I didn't plant in a smart location. Have already moved it to a much better spot, applied emergency anti-fungal 2.5 weeks ago, and am getting vigorous regrowth. Though only on 2 branches of what had been a big 3'X3' plant. Fingers crossed.

Another Abies delavayi. Have applied same emergency anti-fungal. Just dieback on one branch for now, but it can spread quickly. These were planted on a mound...so this demonstrates that technique (mound planting) might only buy you some time, rather than completely stop TRAGEDIES lol.

Things (knock on wood) I am relieved seem completely unfettered so far:

2 probably hardier than average Phormium tenax clones. One in ground had to grow back from winter damage.

all grafted rhodies including some that are incredibly rot sensitive and would no doubt be dead if not grafted or protected with regular anti-fungals

both Larix X eurolepis. As noted in my prior threads, a bunch of prior L. kaempferi and L. X eurolepis have died. So maybe I have 'selected' a tougher strain. They are not in especially well drained areas.

Berberis X stenophylla. Guess it will become the new token Chilean plant in the garden haha.

Comments (27)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH