SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publickman

Food list for Kevin

Lars
5 years ago

I got Kevin's food list from him today, and I will post it once I get is transcribed. Unfortunately, it is almost the opposite of mine, and so that will present some challenges. For example, his list includes white rice and white bread, which are verboten on my list, but I can have brown rice and whole wheat. I'm supposed to have cauliflower and vegetables in the cabbage family, but those are verboten for him, as they are supposed to increase gas. Anyway, I will write out a new list soon so that I can try to get some meals planned for us.

Kevin did not look good in the hospital today and his colostomy bag still is not yet working. They will not release him until that starts to work, and I do not know what that will involve. I had to leave him after visiting for two hours because I was about to cry, and I didn't want him to see that. I've also called other friends and asked them to call and/or visit him, but so far they have not called him. People from work have visited twice, and I go every other day and call him every day. I told our sister Karen that she needs to call him every day now, even though she is in pain from her knee replacement surgery.

A worker is coming at 4:30 today to install grab bars in both our bathrooms. I'm a bit weak myself after bariatric surgery, and Kevin cannot stand up by himself yet, but they are trying to get him to walk around the hospital. Fortunately, he had a deluxe room at Cedars-Sinai, top floor of the South Tower, and so having the nice views helps. On one side of the room the windows look south and a bit southeast (to see some of the Wilshire Corridor), and on the other side, you can see Century City, which he originally thought was downtown.

I've already bought him a new bathrobe and nice bath towel (both of which he needed), plus a teak shower stool and the grab bars will be in this afternoon. I watered his flowers today - no one else had been giving them any water, and a few had started to wilt, but the ones our sister sent were doing okay, but did need to have more water added to the vase.

It might be a while before I post Kevin's diet, as it will take me a while to write it all down, and I want to make a comparison of it with mine. It will probably depress me even more. It's hard for me to imagine what life is going to be like when he gets home. I'll have to see what help we can get - I don't know how much the nurse is going to do, but I do need some help with house cleaning, and so I'll search for that. I just wish more people would visit Kevin or at least call him. There's only so much I can do, especially since I am recuperating from bariatric surgery right now myself.

If you know anything about post colostomy bag diet, please let me know. There is not a cookbook for this.

Comments (73)

• sheilajoyce_gw
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Lars, give Nextdoor time to reply with several comments. Then look into the person(s) who have more than one glowing recommendation.

I had to cook for a family of 5 with food allergies. In my dreams, I could make one meal which would avoid peanuts, dairy, and poultry. Impossible at times. So I found I did have to make double meals often. My recommendation to you is to be sure that you have quite a few small pots and pans. For example, if you are making a meal to serve over rice, you would want to cook both kinds of rice, possibly in smaller batches, so two small covered pots would be ideal. Or you could make a stir fry with shredded cabbage for you and with bean sprouts as a substitute for him. Take it one day at a time, and it will not seem so overwhelming.

Lars thanked sheilajoyce_gw
  • bragu_DSM 5
    5 years ago

Thinking of you guys every day ...

Lars thanked bragu_DSM 5
  • Compumom
    5 years ago

Lars, I want to echo everyone's good wishes and hopes for a speedy recovery for both of you. I try and be helpful, but I'm really out of my element with your situation. Other's have offered such good advice, I know that you will benefit from their experiences.

I also want to agree that you shouldn't hire one person who is slow. Better you should hire someone who is vetted by a few people on Next Door or better yet, maybe a crew who can come in and get it one and done.

Lars thanked Compumom
  • Olychick
    5 years ago

To expand on sheilajoyces's hints about rice...TJ's has the greatest precooked frozen rice, both organic brown and jasmine I believe. It seemed wasteful to me at first, but I cook so little rice it's just perfect to keep in the freezer and use what I need. Instead of cooking the whole package, I just put what I want in a glass dish with a glass cover and a tiny bit of water and heat it for a little less than what the package says. Very quick though. My food coop also carries precooked shelf stable packages of rice, both brown and white organic - it seems to me TJ's used to have something similar, maybe still does. One or two serving size available.

Lars thanked Olychick
  • annie1992
    5 years ago

Lars, I'm sorry I was all tied up with Ashley and didn't get back to this. I'll also be sending a card to Kevin, but not a crafted one, it'll have to be store bought, I'm so not crafty.

I agree with getting some of the pre-made foods, it'll help keep your stress level down while you are adapting to new diets for both of you. It won't be as good as yours, of course, but at this point it's necessary, I think.

I've never hired anyone to clean my house, so I'm not going to be any help there, except that my stepdaughter had a house cleaning business with her mother at one time. When she told me all the things she didn't do, I realized that I'd never be happy with someone else cleaning my house anyway. Just be realistic and realize that they probably won't do things the way you'd do them yourself, but it will be good enough for now.

Hugs to you and to Kevin.

Annie

Lars thanked annie1992
  • lindac92
    5 years ago

Wow....get busy with house guests and all hell breaks loose.....so sorry to hear about the health problems!
    As for cleaning help....I will take a helper who works slowly and charges accordingly than one who works fast and charges a lot. I have having someone banging things around...much rather have someone working slowly and carefully.

Lars thanked lindac92
  • Lars
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I think I can tell quite a bit from someone's voice on the phone, and the woman I talked with from North Ladera Heights sounded reasonable, although she might not do the best job, But then I don't think we need that much done. After talking with her, I did feel confident about trusting her, especially if she comes when we are both here. At this point, I think I can do most of the housework myself, and so we may not need anyone, but I would like to have someone help me with gardening/landscaping. I'll ask at work when I go back, possibly as early as Aug 27.

• Lars
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Sooz - got your beautiful card - thanks so much for sending that. Kevin's is being forwarded from the hospital because he got an early release, but I made sure that they do indeed forward any mail send to patients. He will enjoy it even more now, as he is having a tough time adjusting to being at home and having to do everything for himself, although I do fix most of the food for him. There are a few prepared things that we have on hand, such as unsweetened applesauce. I think he is supposed to drink juice and I am not, but I have been anyway - but only unsweetened juice. I bought cauliflower yesterday to cook today, and yesterday I cooked 1-1/2 pounds of salmon. Kevin didn't want any for dinner, but I can make it into a salad. I forgot to get tomatoes for that, and I might stop by another store tomorrow. I don't shop as well by myself, as I always forget things, even when they are on my list. I plan to buy a chicken to make chicken soup, but we might have one in the freezer anyway.

• sooz
    5 years ago

You're welcome! Glad to hear Kevin got an early release!!!

My little card crafting cyber group has your home address, and I'll have to update them, as a couple of folks were going to send cards to Kevin at a rehab facility once I had that address.

Here's hoping that things go smoothly for both of you!

Smiles,

Sooz

• Gooster
    5 years ago

I'm so sorry to read about your health issues and the challenges moving forward, especially for your brother. It's great, however, that he's got a good prognosis regarding the cancer. Take care of yourself, as well.

Lars thanked Gooster
  • artemis_ma
    5 years ago

$80 an hour for housecleaning? I have a woman come in every other week and she charges $30 an hour. She does a good job, too, and is done in two hours or less. Is California that different from rural western MA? (She does floors, bathrooms, dusting, windows; I do rug vacuuming with a robot, laundry and kitchen non-floor cleanup).

Lars thanked artemis_ma
  • artemis_ma
    5 years ago

Not incidentally, much encouragement and warmth towards your and Kevin's quick healings!

Lars thanked artemis_ma
  • Olychick
    5 years ago

it was $80 for a crew of 5, not one person.

Lars thanked Olychick
  • yeonassky
    5 years ago

I hope you and Kevin heal very quickly. That is sad that he is going to be struggling with this but it's great that he has medical help. Also it's surprising what we can adjust to. (((Lars and Kevin)))

I make a list on my phone of groceries and I don't press send. Then as I pick up the item I erase it from the list. I actually text to myself to do this so I don't send my family my grocery list by accident. This is the only way I have been able to get all the groceries on my list.

Lars thanked yeonassky
  • Lars
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Friends of Kevin's took me shopping today, and I got everything on the list that was available at the stores. We went to CVS (for my prescriptions) and Trader Joe's for some regular groceries. CVS got one of my prescriptions wrong, and so I'm not happy about that, but I'm hoping the doctor will be able to clear it up. CVS also did not have Calcium Citrate, which I am supposed to start taking on my fourth week, which will be next week, and so I just ordered it from Amazon. Amazon had it available in the exact dose with the exact amount of D3 with it that I am supposed to start taking.

I bought a book on Ostomy that I thought would help me with food for Kevin, but I ended up just giving the book to him, and he started reading it. Maybe it will help him, but it won't help me much. In a couple of weeks or so, he should be able to eat regular food again (I think), and that will make things a lot easier. I will still be on a diet, but it will be a diet that I think will be good for him as well.

• sooz
    5 years ago

Thanks for the update! Positive thoughts coming to you both from my little neck of the woods!

Lars thanked sooz
  • annie1992
    5 years ago

Lars, I'm glad that Kevin is home, and that his diet will gradually change so that you won't have to cook for two. That will be much easier for you, although you may have to eat tiny amounts of some things.

Hugs to both of you, I wish I were closer, I'd be happy to help with gardening!

Annie

Lars thanked annie1992
  • sushipup1
    5 years ago

Thanks for the update! I hope Kevin finds a support group. A friend in CA was the go-to nurse at the hospital for post-ostomy patients and she also led a support group open to all. He'll find it very helpful in days to come as he recovers and adjusts.

Hugs to you both, I know you'll both do well!

Lars thanked sushipup1
  • Lars
    Original Author
    5 years ago

There is a group that meets in Culver City on Saturday, but only once every two months. Next meeting is Oct 6. That might be often enough, and it is very close to us. On Saturday, it should be a 15 minute drive at most- perhaps less. I believe he also joined a facebook group. He's been taking walks in our neighborhood (extremely quiet) carrying his urine bag and wearing a bathrobe, but no one has spoken to him so far, other than to say hello.

Gardening here is pretty fun, but I have to wait until my doctor says I can do it. Mostly things need to be repotted, and I'm hoping Bernard can come soon and help. He came last year in October, and that might be soon enough. My orchids are doing better than usual - I think I am getting better at taking care of them, but some of the heavy bromeliads needs to be moved around. Also, we need to clean the fountains, and that is not fun.

Sooz - we got more cards, and they are all beautiful. They are all on display right now.

• Lars
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I'm still not sure what Kevin can and cannot eat because he ate the pureed cauliflower I made yesterday and said it gave him no gas. Now I don't know what to believe, but today he started questioning me about what he was going to eat while I was at work. He has a doctor's appointment tomorrow (He will take Über to get there and back - better than my missing work, and I don't feel that good about driving yet anyway), and so he might eat lunch while he is out. I'm sure there would be a restaurant near the doctor's office. Anyway, he has plenty of yogurt with fruit that I bought for him, and there is Greek yogurt plus granola and granola bars, AND there are eggs that I know he knows how to cook. I think he can also slice bread and toast it. He asked me where I put the bread. I really don't know whether he can eat beans or not, but I can, and I hope he can also. Besides that, I always come home for lunch, and I always make his lunch also when we are both there. Also, we have protein drinks that he can have if necessary, but we have to take Metamucil with them.

When his friends took me to Trader Joe's, I bought a chicken, and I'm making chicken soup in the pressure cooker right now. I told him he could heat that up with some eggs noodles (long enough to cook the noodles) or I could cook some white rice for him to have with it - I can only have brown rice, but I think he can have brown rice also. Still, might as well use up the white rice. In addition, we have a lot of very nice crackers (no longer on my diet), and he would eat some of those with cheese, but I'll have to show him how to vacuum seal the cheese after opening it, unless he is going to use a cheese that we will go through quickly.

I've tried to teach him how to cook certain things, but he never gets it right unless it is extremely simple - I think he just does not want to learn. He knows better than to cook for me, he says, because he is sure I will not like it. However, I think he should be able to make things for himself that he likes himself.

I'm a bit anxious about going back to work tomorrow, but I will just see how it goes, and if necessary I will just work half a day and make it up on Friday, since I only work four days a week.

• bragu_DSM 5
    5 years ago

don't push it Lars, it's not worth it ... really.

Lars thanked bragu_DSM 5
  • annie1992
    5 years ago

I agree, don't push it too hard, Lars, because healing is a very personal thing and sometimes it takes longer for some than for others.

I think what can be eaten and digested is probably personal too, some people will get indigestion from the cauliflower and some won't, so hopefully Kevin will be able to tolerate some of that type of food.

Can you both have spices and seasonings? That might be a way to make things more palatable for both of you, if you can season things to your individual tastes.

Take care of yourself too, you sound worried and stressed. Be kind to yourself and don't take on too much, I'm sure Kevin will at least make an egg or warm up soup, maybe even make a grilled cheese or one of those chicken sandwiches like you can get at Trader Joe's, the chicken burger thing. We got chili lime flavor and it's very mild, I don't even taste any spice, so it's good for a quick meal.

Hugs to you, and to Kevin, there will definitely be some adapting to do.

Annie

• maifleur01
    5 years ago

Think about what he did for food before his surgery. It may be that although you are brothers you are not compatible for living together. His lack of desire to provide for himself worries me since I have known people who could but it was easier for another to do things. If after a month or so you may need to look for another place for him to live. Very difficult situation for you.

Lars thanked maifleur01
  • Compumom
    5 years ago

Don't worry too much-- Kevin will adapt. It's likely that he's down in the dumps and not feeling like he can do it on his own. But with you providing a list of foods available, he should be able to pull it together on his own. I know you're not up to full speed yet either, so take it easy, pull a 1/2 day at work, if necessary, and don't stress. The Ostomy group sounds like a very good idea. By then he should be feeling better and be open to listening to others who have found themselves in a similar situation. Hugs,

Lars thanked Compumom
  • Lars
    Original Author
    5 years ago

maifleur01, Kevin has relied on my to make food for us ever since he moved in with me in Venice, CA in 1995. I helped him get his job transferred, and then I encouraged him to get additional education to start doing web design, which we did together. He started out majoring in electrical engineering, but after the fourth year, he found out that most of the jobs available (from Texas A&M) were for defense contracts, and he did not want to do that. One year from getting an EE degree from Texas A&M, he transferred to UT Austin and starting majoring in art, which is his passion, and which I told him he should do from the beginning. Our father when to A&M, and Kevin went there to try to please him. He did meet his wife there, and I made her bridal gown and was Kevin's best man at the wedding. I do think I got along better with his wife than he did, however, and after Kevin got a BA in art from UT, she convinced him to go to SUNY Albany to get a MFA, which he did, and that took three years. Then she decided that she no longer wanted to live in NY (where she was born), and they moved back to Austin, but after 10 years of marriage, it just didn't work out for her. After their divorce, Kevin wanted to move to NYC to pursue a career in art, but I told him he could just as easily be an artist in Los Angeles and invited him to move in with me in my bungalow in Venice. At first he had to sleep in the (carpeted) garage, but after a few months, my housemate decided to move back with his brother in Vallejo, and so Kevin and I had the house to ourselves, and Kevin had his own bedroom. He loved living in Venice, as it is an artist community, and eventually, I helped him get a job a Sony Pictures - ten minutes from Venice. He has advanced a lot in his job at Sony (much more than I have at mine), and soon we were able to buy a house in Westchester - just a short distance southeast (down the coast) from Venice. We have twice as much room in the Westchester house, and Kevin's commute is still not bad, if he leaves early enough in the morning. At this point, we have saved up enough money to buy a second home in the Palm Springs area, and we are expecting to look in earnest early next year, although it might be better to wait until summer, when people want to leave.

Anyway, there is no reason why we should not continue to live together, as we have similar taste in music, art, design, entertainment, etc. The main difference, especially now, would be in diet, and I think we can work through that. I think that the thought of having us live apart or separately would cause undue anxiety for both of us, We may be co-dependent, but that is something we could look into. We are certainly extremely compatible and always have been, even though there is 15 years difference in our age.

I just had an accident in my bathroom (slipping on my bathroom rug and falling), and so I am in a bit of pain now and might wait until Tuesday to start back to work. I'll have to see how I feel tomorrow. It might still be too soon for me, as it has only been less than four weeks since my surgery. The doctor said I should take three to four weeks off. bit I might need one more day.

At some point I expect to spend more time in Palm Springs, but I know that Kevin loves it there as well. Having two places to live will make it a lot easier, but I won't be able to take much of the heat in the summer, and we both want to travel more. Our next foreign destination is Greece, but we may postpone that a year. I want to go to Michigan next July to visit Annie, if that time will be acceptable for her. I think Kevin will be ready to travel by then as well.

• maifleur01
    5 years ago

Sorry, Lars, I had the impression that he was moving in with you until he healed not that he already lived with you. Careful with those slips. One of the things that are suggested once you get to a certain age is to remove all rugs because of those slips. Hard to do if you like a soft surface to stand on.

• Lars
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks, Maifleur, but you warned me about the slippery rugs a day late. Last night I slipped on my bathroom rug (it is NOT non-slip, to make it easier to wash), and I fell into the bathtub and hit the back of my head on one of my new grab bars. I was dizzy from the new dose of medicine from my urologist - next time I will wait until just before I go to bed to take it. I also bruised my back on the tub and had a very difficult time getting out of the tub because of the position in which I landed. Fortunately, the bump on my head was not too bad, but I did not go to work today because the pain kept me up until 4:30 last night, and I was too dizzy in the morning. I can go into tomorrow and still get four days in this week, I hope. One other medicine also makes me dizzy, and I take that at bedtime.

Sooz, we've received many more cards from your friends, and they are all beautiful and are doing a great job of cheering us up! The cards are all very different and wonderful. I also got a card from Compumom that looks like a map of L.A. freeways with the caption "The Road to Recovery can seem never-ending". I can certainly related to that. I have to wait two more weeks before I can start on anything like a somewhat normal diet, but Kevin can start sooner. I still haven't found out if he can have beans, but I have a feeling that they will be okay if they are fully cooked and pureed. The psychedelic card from Jenna is especially nice as well as the dachshund card from Ginny, but they are all beautiful and very thoughtful.

I made the mistake of lifting my Cuisinart food processor base and then learned that it weights 18 pounds! I'm not supposed to lift more than 5 pounds for two more weeks, and I plan to start lifting gradually when I do start again.

Thanks again for all the cheerful thoughts! They are much appreciated.

• nancyjane_gardener
    5 years ago

So, earlier you mentioned vacuum sealing something or other. The Foodsaver is your friend!

Now being retired, I'm not as passionate about cooking every night as I used to be! BUT I still like my home cooking!

I try to make at least double what I cook and take a few minutes to bag and freeze a couple extra meals to throw into the freezer.

Anything soup-like or very liquid as in pured foods need to be put in a bag, flattened out in a baking dish with 3" of bag being clear of food, frozen overnight, then vacuumed. You can then stack them in the freezer.

This would be especially helpful for your brother's limited diet. Find 3 or 4 things he REALLY likes, make some big batches and freeze some in single serving sizes. Yes, the bags can get expensive, but it's worth your sanity! Make some of your own dishes to re-heat also!

I'm not understanding why you haven't been referred to a nutritionist and/or given a list of foods for his diet restrictions!

• maifleur01
    5 years ago

I had to chuckle about my warning being too late. You apparently at least looked at things that could be useful for people with health problems since you were having grab bars put up. Rugs are generally on the top of that list but like most you looked, passed over the recommendation, and discarded it. Although I do not use them there are a lot of interesting suggestions mostly aimed at old people that are useful when there is a medical problem when much younger. Some of them like the spinning thing that I got for my husband that was supposed to be used to aid his turning either standing or placed on a seat are downright dangerous and should never be sold.

• blfenton
    5 years ago

Just reading through the thread and I'm wondering if the hospital or Kevin's doctor can refer the two of you to a nutritionist/dietician to help you dovetail the two diets and to give simple cooking suggestions for Kevin. It might help if the suggestions come from a third-party.

• Compumom
    5 years ago

Oh Lars! Take care of yourself and please use some grip tape on that rug!

I’m glad you liked my card, I hope Kevin received his card too. I’m thinking of you both and wishing you well!

• PRO
    Lars/J. Robert Scott
    5 years ago

I've seen so many nutritionists with so many opposing ideas that I don't know whom to believe anymore. I think we are going to learn by experimentation. I have a pretty good list for myself, and I'll just see if Kevin had handle it or not. At worst, it will give him gas, and he can let me know about that.

I'm sure Kevin received your card as well - we have them all on display in the living room. We got more get-well cards than we did Christmas cards last year!

Too bad Jessy no longer posts her, as I know her husband is a doctor and possibly a surgeon. She's answered some medical questions for me in the past.

Saturday I poached a chicken in the large pot of my pressure cooker, and the pot was so heavy I could barely move it. I thought ahead and put the chicken in the steamer insert, and so I could remove that to another dish fairly easily. Last night I finished making chicken stock by cooking the bones some more with additional onion and carrot. Saturday I had made brown rice for the chicken with some mushrooms and dried vegetables, and I think I did not cook the rice long enough, and so last night I just took some of the leftover rice and added chicken stock to make soup. I also added some more mushrooms. I'm going to freeze some of the chicken meat because I'm supposed to eat small portions.

I've never been prone to falls before, but the new medication I'm on creates a somewhat dangerous experience, and my doctor did warn me about that. I'll have to see if it persists - it's not supposed to last more than two or three days, but I do feel a bit drowsy today at work.

• tami_ohio
    5 years ago

Sending my prayers for both of you.

Lars thanked tami_ohio
  • PRO
    MDLN
    5 years ago

Suggest seeing a dietitian (vs. nutritionist).

A Registered Dietitian (RD/RDN) must complete an accredited program (minimum bachelors degree), a supervised internship, pass a national exam, and continuing education.

Anyone can call themselves a nutritionist (no required education).

[https://www.houzz.com/discussions/anyone-used-a-dietician-dsvw-vd~5417475[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/anyone-used-a-dietician-dsvw-vd~5417475)

• maifleur01
    5 years ago

Seeing a dietitian was probably suggested before the surgery which was the time it should have been done. Having talked to some registered dietitians that knew little about the subject, telling me to drink herbal containing 100% of an herb but not to use that herb, thyme, in my cooking, woke me up to how little some know. Along with seeing one reading various sources is good. At this point it is more trail and error to see what works and what does not.

Lars thanked maifleur01
  • Lars
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I did see Clinical Bariatric Dietitians (MS RD) - I see that now from the cards - and one of them I really did like, but I do not have her email. She will answer messages that I send to her through my surgeon's contact portal, however.

It looks like I'm supposed to wait another week or two before eating raw vegetables, and so I'll just cook them for now. I seem to lose weight better on the liquids diet, and so I'll try to stick with that a bit longer.

• PRO
    Lars/J. Robert Scott
    5 years ago

Someone from the caregivers or health forum (I think) has contacted me and is now giving Kevin some much needed advice. She is friends with a nurse at Cedars-Sinai and has access to a lot of good information for his condition. Kevin is already back on a regular diet, but my diet is going to be restricted for some time now - probably the rest of my life. However, if that keeps my weight under control, I will be okay with it.

Kevin is still having to take pain killers at night to sleep, but he won't take them during the day. He says Tylenol and Ibuprofen do not work at night sufficiently for him to be able to sleep. He seems to be adjusting to his condition better than I would have. I think he is just relieved to know that he is now cancer-free.

• sooz
    5 years ago

Thanks for the update! Continuing to send positive energy and best wishes to you both!

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    5 years ago

It sounds like you're doing great, Lars, and I'm glad that Kevin has a source for helpful advice. I hope you both continue to heal quickly.

• PRO
    Lars/J. Robert Scott
    5 years ago

Sooz, we really appreciate all the cards we've been getting from you and your friends. Plus we got a very nice one from Annie with a lovely note inside. For some reason, Kevin has rebounded from this better and faster than I expected, as he can experience depression quite easily. However, this does not seem to have happened in this case. I think he has had some good support from a few of his friends at work, one who has helped us with grocery shopping. She is from India, and so I showed her a recipe I have for Tava Chana and asked her if she ever made it. She said she made it all the time and even brought some for us yesterday! It is very yummy. She uses a family-based spice mixture that is different from anything else I have ever had, and so I won't be able to replicate it. She did say that it has cardamom, cinnamon, nutmeg (very little), cloves, etc. I was going to give her some hummus, but we had already eaten it all, and so I gave her a piece of my flatbread, which she seemed to like. I gave her a piece of the one that has za'atar.

• lindac92
    5 years ago

Lars, all I can say is keep on keeping on. I know more than one....more than 2 ...actually 3 people who have regained their former avoirdupois after surgery...make that 4...just thought of another!!
    I have little regard for most dietitcians...remembering one who made the most ridiculous suggestions when my husband was sick....and am currently dealing with one at church who may be good at "book larnin" but very poor on reality!
    Use your common sense....and find out what disagrees....but stick to your diet, or you will gain weight!!

• PRO
    Lars/J. Robert Scott
    5 years ago

Yesterday I fell off the diet briefly, but I won't let that happen again, as I could notice the difference this morning. I do not want to stretch my stomach back, as that is the easiest way to gain the weight back. This week I can start eating raw vegetables, and so that will be a bit help. I also sent my surgeon a note asking him about what exercises I can add now, as I am at the six week period.

I also have run into a lot of dietitians who don't seem to know all that much, and so I am trying to learn things on my own. I did find one that I really like, but she is very busy, although she does answer questions through the UCLA "My Health" portal, but I have to ask the questions through my surgeon, as she is not on the "list" of people I can contact. There is another dietitian there who gave out her cards with her email, but I don't like her as much and she was never able to answer the questions I asked to my satisfaction. She also could not pronounce "important" correctly - she would always say "impor'ant", which irritated me no end. It sort of made her sound like a Val (aka Valley Girl) - the one I like is from Russia and her English is perfect with just a slight accent.

I've known several people here who have had the surgery, and none of them gained the weight back. Perhaps people here are more motivated to stay thin, and there may be more stigma associated with being overweight in L.A.

• 2ManyDiversions
    5 years ago

Lars, I think a lot of things might be different these days, and perhaps diaticians are inlcuded. My maternal Grandmother was head hospital diatician in Kansas, and they sourced from local farms, everything was fresh and homemade from scratch, all meals were served individually (not on the big tray holders), on china, with silver. This was not a fancy hospital, but rather just the way they did it. My mom, a Physical Therapist, never let me leave the table until I cleaned my plate of a well-balance meal (not that it was an issue ever, I always loved everything, not a picky eater, and new foods were fun in my home).

I think you're doing very well with your diet. I also think others who post here are serious about losing weight. I do know a few who've gained back, but most don't want to, and work hard not to. Exercise (when allowed) is something popular and enjoyable among those I've known or heard of who've had gastric bypass. I'm sure being able to move in ways one once couldn't is a joy to many. I mentioned some time ago a close friend who's had this procedure, and she's not sticking to the diet. Wish I could help her, but that part is up to her. Anyway, great job Lars!

Lars thanked 2ManyDiversions
  • annie1992
    5 years ago

Good for you, Lars, and I'm so happy that Kevin is adjusting well too.

I know you want to stay healthy and you're very motivated to keep the weight off, and I have every faith in you that you'll make that happen.

Hugs to you and Kevin, and be well and healthy!

Annie

Lars thanked annie1992
  • bragu_DSM 5
    5 years ago

Curry:

Sounds tasty, but cumin tends to make my stomach roil, so will have to try it without.

Lars thanked bragu_DSM 5
  • Lars
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks for those recipes, CurryUp - I do have most of the ingredients on hand, except the pigeon peas, which I've seen in the market but not yet bought. I've bought fresh curry leaves in the past, but they don't keep well, and so I would have to buy them just before I make the dish.

You mention lentils (which I do have on hand) but then specify pigeon peas in the recipe. Are they interchangeable? I had been making a lot of lentils in the early part of my recovery, but they are something I make on a regular basis anyway.

I have not cooked chayote squash before, but I'm sure I can find that as well and will look for it. I did buy a bunch of zucchini at my last visit to the farmers' market, but I won't be going there this week.

I very much appreciate your sharing your recipes!

• CurryUp
    5 years ago

Lars

you are welcome.

curry leaves : I agree they dontlast long.

Heres my solution

If that is not your cup of tea,here’s an alternativ: microwave the leaves for a min carefully. Let it cool and crumble and store in a Air tight jar. Not as good as the fresh ones but still add some flavor.

Re the pigeon peas. These Are probably the easiest to digest and don’t need much seasoning. Pigeon peas are used traditionally. You could substitutw w yellow mung ( it’s thegreen mung with its skin Removed and split up). others will Work too but you won’t get the buttery melt in your mouth feel( I think ,but happy to be proven wrong ) :)

bragu, the cumin is optional but don’t skip the ghee !

Here’s a more souped up version, I haven’t tried it but it sounds good to me.

this is one of those dishes that taste better that tastes better than it looks .so don’t let the pic prevent you from trying it.

http://traditionallymodernfood.com/index.php/2015/11/30/arisi-paruppu-sadam/

Also : if you are cooking for 2, halve the rice and lentils.

Regards

Curry

Lars thanked CurryUp
  • Lars
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Do you grow the curry from seeds? I have not seen full plants for sale, although I will definitely buy turmeric plants the next time I see them - I could never get them to grow from the cuttings. I think it might be the wrong time of year for planting, but then I do plant coriander and parsley in the fall.

Ghee is very easy to find.

• maifleur01
    5 years ago

You need the roots to grow turmeric. If you have a local oriental market you will find them in the produce section. They are about the size of a finger with the length between the joints. I have seen the a pale tan but the last I saw a month ago were a pinkish color. The look of them when smaller can be off putting as they sometimes have the appearance of being a grub. I have seen several plants offered as curry plant so you might want to take someone with you when shopping who actually uses it. If you have an Indian grocery the one I go to, next to my art store, has them dried in packets. Not the freshest probably but at least available.

Edited to add that you can put the turmeric roots in a pot. Not certain how deep but you can start out leaving space at the top and gradually fill it in with potting mix.

Lars thanked maifleur01
Sponsored