FIND PROFESSIONALS
SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
Houzz Logo Print
stupidlazydog

Anyone want some Euphorbia blupleurifolia seeds?

stupidlazydog CT zone 5b/6a
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I thought it would be fun to do a E. bupleurifolia grow out. I have 34 seeds, keeping 4, so I have 30 to give away.

I figured I'd divide them into packets of 5 seeds, so I have enough for 6 growers. If I don't get 6 people wanting them, I'll split them among those who do :-)

Momma plant

Anyone want some? Just message me!

Comments (129)

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    3 years ago

Windy, Yours being variegated, almost all seedlings would be regular. Hope some one shows a variegated seedling from you. Nice.

stupidlazydog CT zone 5b/6a thanked Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
  • bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    3 years ago

Regrettably, this is the only seedling that germinated.

stupidlazydog CT zone 5b/6a thanked bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
  • stupidlazydog CT zone 5b/6a
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Stush, my bupleurifolia isn't variegated, I wish it were!

Howard, yours looks good :-) Most of mine are still dormant.

• Ycloh1 (Singapore)
    3 years ago

Dog, the illustration very clear. thanks for the information.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    3 years ago

Went to the store, hungry. You know one should NEVER go to the store hungry because you always overdo it. Just got these from Miles Anderson. I’m trying a bit of an experiment... well, for me it’s an experiment. i would normally plant these in an inorganic grit because I lose too many to rot. I have a dear friend who owns a commercial GH growing tons of C&S in an organic mix(secret formula). He does wonders with his plants. So I’ve planted half in my usual mix and half in his. Let’s see if I can keep them alive.

Original Author
    3 years ago

Howard, I'll be interested in seeing how your experiment turns out :-)

Original Author
    3 years ago

Well, my big bupleurifolia is suffering. It didn't seem to leaf back out as vigorously as usual, the leaves were shorter and fewer than usual. I took it out of it's pot, and sure enough a lot of the roots had died back :-(

I cleaned off a lot of the old mix, potted it up in a smaller pot, and put it on a heating mat on hospital row.

I sure hope it recovers.

To top things off, the seedlings weren't looking great, either. I took them out of their pots, and found some root mealies on a couple of them #*@%!!! I didn't notice any on my big plant, but I didn't clean the old mix off completely, and they do blend in with perlite and pumice nicely.

I think this photo shows a couple.... those little white ovals

I cleaned them up and repotted them in a mix of pumice and coir, and treated them all with imidacloprid.

Keep your fingers crossed for me. Now to treat all the rest of my plants.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    3 years ago

Hoping things work out.

• Alain (Pacifica, CA;10a)
    3 years ago

That time of the year when a few will end up in the graveyard :( Looks like you caught it early enough for a prompt recovery!

stupidlazydog CT zone 5b/6a thanked Alain (Pacifica, CA;10a)
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yeah, sometimes coming out of winter slumber just doesn't go smoothly. I kept my big one in a different room than I have in the past, and that room is cooler in cold weather. I'm thinking that I didn't take that into consideration, and it might have ended up staying too damp.

It does still have a decent amount of roots, they didn't all die off, so hopefully it will be o.k.

• Ycloh1 (Singapore)
    3 years ago

Dog, Hope your euphorbia bupleurifolia recover.. that was a great looking piece.

stupidlazydog CT zone 5b/6a thanked Ycloh1 (Singapore)
  • Kara 9b SF Bay Area CA
    3 years ago

Goodluck SLD;). I hate when ya look at a plant and think “somethin just ain’t right with you.” I think you’ve caught the problem early enough:). That’s why it’s sooo important to be proactive, pay attention and know your plants. This isn’t any new advice that I’m about to give you, but if you don’t you may want to start using ant stakes. Tbh I think they help. Two summers ago I saw an ant colony up to no good and that’s exactly what they were, up to no good. Totally farming mealies at a fast pace.

Watched this little video not too long ago of an ant slurping up a mealie‘s “honeydew” and then pick it up with its mandible and move on to another part of the plant. No bueno!

stupidlazydog CT zone 5b/6a thanked Kara 9b SF Bay Area CA
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks, Kara. That's exactly what I thought when I looked at it. It didn't look bad, but just didn't look right.

Ant stakes sound like a good idea. These plants were outside last summer, and that could have started the ball rolling. I have had ants set up residence in plant pots in the past. Hate them.

• Kara 9b SF Bay Area CA
    3 years ago

Definitely time for some ant bait;)!

stupidlazydog CT zone 5b/6a thanked Kara 9b SF Bay Area CA
  • Ycloh1 (Singapore)
    3 years ago

I having some issue with my Euphorbia too. The older leaves are normal green, but the new leaves are pale green.. any one can help what's wrong.? I water it once a week.

Original Author
    3 years ago

The leaves on mine have pretty much always done that in the summer. It always seemed to grow fine and a cactus/succulent grower once told me that was typical, so I never worried much about it. I did recently read somewhere (I forget where) that bupleurifolia is a somewhat heavy feeder, so maybe I have under fertilized mine. I think I do tend to feed my plants less than I should. It does look a bit like chlorosis due to too little nitrogen (veins a darker green than the rest of the leaf).

Original Author
    3 years ago

Here are a couple of photos that show it a bit...

this one is from 2014. It doesn't show it too clearly, but the newer leaves and the leaves on the bottom branch show this.

Here are a couple of photos of seedlings with leaves like this...

• Ycloh1 (Singapore)
    3 years ago

Thanks for the input Dog, will give some liquid fertilizer coming watering.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    3 years ago

How excited am I!?!?

Original Author
    3 years ago

Hooray, it's a girl!

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    3 years ago

Wendy, of these six, I know of one male and two females.

The jury is still out on this group and some look a bit stressed.

Original Author
    3 years ago

My seedlings have been suffering since their bout with root mealies. I think a couple of the bigger ones will be o.k. but I don't have high hopes for the smaller ones.Where did you get your seedlings?

My big one is hanging in there. It hasn't started to get any new leaves, but least it doesn't look worse.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    3 years ago

I got all of them from Miles Anderson, Miles2Go

Original Author
    3 years ago

Howard you inspired me... just bought 3 seedlings from Miles2Go :-)

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    3 years ago

You should have mentioned me. Not that it would get you anywhere Good for you. Miles is a good person. He stands behind what he sells

3 years ago

Good to know Howard. I though they retired and some one else was running the business. I purchased many plants from them in the past.

Original Author
    3 years ago

Stush, I thought I had read that. too. I wish I had looked at there catalog earlier. They had some sold out Euphorbias I would have liked. I think their prices are reasonable, as well. Don't know why I've never bought from them before.

Also, Stush, I haven't forgotten about the little White Rhino offset for you. I've had a bit of a skirmish with root mealies on some of my plants. All plants have been treated, and, hopefully, are on the mend. The smaller whiter W.R. offset is not looking good, but I think that's mainly due to such a lack of chlorophyll. Yours is looking pretty good, but I want to let it get bigger and more established and make extra sure all root mealies are long gone before sending it to you.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    3 years ago

Stan, I think you are referring to Mesa Garden Seed and Steven Brach. He did retire and sold the business, but they are still at the same web address.

Wendy, let's see the new arrivals, please

Original Author
    3 years ago

As soon as they get here, I'll post a photo :-)

3 years ago

I doubt I have the euphorbias your looking for but which ones Windy?

Howard, I do remember Mesa Gardens change. I purchased from they as well but still though I heard some thing about Miles. I wanted to purchase there Succulent book but I can't read anymore. Reading never was my strong point. Plenty of pictures always help. :-)

Almost a waist of money on the Haworthia books since they changed them so much.

Original Author
    3 years ago

abdelkuri, crested obesa, crested horwoodii, piscidermis crest, variegated suzannae crest... lots of weird and wonderful :-)

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    3 years ago

Wendy, some/all of those will come back. Miles tried to keep stock on the items that sell. You just have to check back time to time. Sometimes Aridlands has weird stuff; not that things like tortirama, groenewaldii, brevitorta, clavigara are weird

Original Author
    3 years ago

I will keep checking. I do check Aridlands every now and then; I have quite a few from them.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    3 years ago

Wendy, maybe we should compare lists.

3 years ago

You have great taste Windy. I might have to keep check as well.

I'm afraid to check on those nurseries. Got too much now but always make room for a few more.

Howard, Forgot if I asked before, Do you heat your greenhouse thru winter months? If so, how? I'll bet gas but afraid of fumes?

• Ycloh1 (Singapore)
    3 years ago

Doc that's a cool place you have compare to Singapore. Most of the population leave in a flatted home. Only space is my balcony.

Original Author
    3 years ago

here are my new bupleurifolia babies from Miles to Go...

And I also got a few E. symmetrica...

one boy, one girl, and one undecided :-)

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    3 years ago

Very nice, indeed. Good growing.

Original Author
    3 years ago

I'm very happy with them. Really nice plants at a good price.

What was also interesting is that the symmetrica seedlings were bare root wrapped in dry paper towel, while the bupleurifolia seedlings were bare root with the roots wrapped in damp paper towel and then wrapped in plastic wrap.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    3 years ago

I’ve ennoyed my relationship with Miles and his business for more than 10 years. He has never disappointed me.

• Nancy Bishop
    last year

Here’s an update photo of the one Euphorbia blupleurifolia seed that germinated from the ones you sent to me. Realized it was not getting enough light and moved it this year and got a growth spurt.

stupidlazydog CT zone 5b/6a thanked Nancy Bishop
    Original Author
    last year

Nancy that one looks great! Thanks for posting the pic; I love seeing the update :-)

• Nancy Bishop
    last year

Thanks! I am stoked that it had such a growth spurt after upsizing its pot and moving it to more light.

stupidlazydog CT zone 5b/6a thanked Nancy Bishop
  • HU-576288190
    last year

i've just found this conversation after some hard search on the net for seeds.

dog, that is an amazing plant - most info on net says max growth is about 10" but that one looks more than that.

i'm going thru an obsession with E bupleurifolia and have been trying to buy seeds - nada.

dog, would u have more to spare?

stupidlazydog CT zone 5b/6a thanked HU-576288190
  • Andrew Dickinson
    last year

Any spare seed this year? Thats one amazing plant. I have four young seedlings. Two have just started producing the odd flower bud but here in the UK this summer has been inconsistant in terms of heat and only managed one flower (they are young).

Crazy times, stay well.

stupidlazydog CT zone 5b/6a thanked Andrew Dickinson
    Original Author
    last year

Unfortunately, I lost my big bupleurifolia and all its seedlings to the root mealie invasion. I do have the 3 seedlings I got from Miles2Go and one off ebay, but so far I've been picking the blooms off in hopes that they'll put energy into growing rather than flowering.

• Andrew Dickinson
    last year

AaghAargh. The hidden enemy. I managed to get a systemic for mealy from Germany. Expensive with postage but it seems to have worked. I mix a very open mineral compost that if one is gentle you can get things out of a pot without damage. Im not sure how much that helps with root mealy , maybe its the systemic? The systemics no good for rsm , still use a contact. Wasnt fast enough with a Lophophora but its still with me (not so the Parodia next to it!!). Good luck with the bup`s.

Original Author
    last year

My problem was that the root mealies attacked over the winter when plants were dormant. In the spring I noticed something was wrong when the plants didn't leaf out strongly. Unfortunately, by that time they had lost too much of their root systems. After this I did treat all my plants with imidicloprid, which worked like a charm.

• Andrew Dickinson
    last year

The systemic I got recommends only two doses a year. I did one with a last full watering at the end of last year and one when there was good growth this year and , touch wood , it seems to have worked. Ill dose them again this September as a last watering.

Sponsored
Shaw and Shaw Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
NY & DC Interior Design Firm Creating Expertly Styled Spaces