SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
robinlmorris

Epoxy vs Urethane vs standard grout. I hate cleaning grout! Help!

Robin Morris
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hello! I have 2 bathrooms, laundry room floor, and a backsplash that are going to be tiled in a few weeks. I just got a bid from the tile guys my GC always uses. I have 3 choices for grout: Epoxy, Urethane, and standard. The epoxy is the most expensive followed by the Urethane. The tile contractor says that Urethane grout is more flexible then epoxy grout. He tells me he mainly does Epoxy grout in commercial application because it helps with chemical staining, etc... however epoxy may crack and chip away with the movement of the house.

I don't want cracked grout, but my main concern is that I hate cleaning grout more than anything! I have spent way too much time with a toothbrush scrubbing moldy discolored grout.

Which grout should I use where? I have wet applications in the showers, foot traffic in the laundry room/bathroom floor, and the backsplash will get oil/water splats occasionally but hopefully not very often.

Also, I have white and gray marble on one of the bathroom walls and I am concerned about it darkening. Currently we plan on using Miracle 511 porous plus before grouting and again after grouting. Does this sound correct or would Stonetech bulletproof be better? Can I also use it to seal my quartzite again after installation?

Thanks in Advance!

Comments (13)