SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
abirnbau

Help! Costa Esmeralda granite has haze on it!

Drew Birnbaum
5 years ago

We just had Costa Esmeralda installed in about 1/2 our kitchen. The other half has been cut yet.

While the pictures below aren't great, they show the haze on the granite surface which is very apparent, particularly when the sun hit the granite at an angle.

I've had Costa Esmeralda in a previous house and many types of granite over the years. I've never seen this kind of residue / haze before either in my homes or the homes of friends. Both the renovation contractor and a decorator also haven't seen the haze before - at least not part of any successful installation.

The fabricator / installer came out and said that some slabs just react naturally to sealer in the way shown in the photos. And that while he could buff out some of the residue, the rest of it was not fixable and I should just accept it as part of what comes with a natural stone. Further, he said that since I had seen the slab prior to cutting, I had accepted the imperfections since -- in his telling -- the sealer subsequently applied wouldn't have affected the haziness I should have seen.

Can anyone with some experience in this area weigh in with comments. From what I've been reading on the internet, is it possible the Costa should never have been sealed in the first place?

All advice very much appreciated. We're really in a difficult situation here as we've paid about 40% of the overall cost. I did tell the fabricator not to cut any more Costa Esmeralda until this situation is resolved.

Thanks.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH