SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
editoria

Partial defrost of chest freezer?

Alisande
5 years ago

I have a full-size chest freezer in my dirt-floor dungeon of a basement. With the many days and nights of high humidity we've had this summer, condensation forms on it and collects under the edge of the lid. As a result, clear ice has build up on the top inside edge of the freezer. I tried to chip it off, but it's too thick. This has caused the temperature in the freezer to rise. It's not quite one degree above 0º F., but it's enough to set off the freezer alarm, which buzzes periodically.

Some of the usual white ice (frost?) has formed near the top of the interior as well. Between those two things It would make sense to empty the freezer and defrost it, but it's so impractical. Aside from the hassle of finding a place to put the food, etc., a big problem is that the freezer sits on blocks, the result of a flood some years ago. This makes it extremely awkward to get into the deeper recesses. I can do it by standing on a step stool when I have to, but the thought of having to empty the whole thing, carrying the food up out of the basement and back again, is beyond intimidating.

So what I want your permission to do (or at least tell me it isn't stupid) is to turn off the freezer, prop the lid up, and remove both accumulations of ice as soon as they start to release. I don't think this will take long. Do you think it'll work? Before I do it, should I buy a few bags of ice and lay them in there on top of the food (assuming the bags won't leak)?

Thanks!

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH