SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissabelsh

Tile Countertop, Strangely-Sized Undermount Sink, What Should I Do?

My House
5 years ago

Hi, I am in the process of buying a house and plan to re-do the kitchen myself (on a small-scale, to be completely done by a professional in a few years). I am planning to tile over the existing countertop with 12 x 12 Granite tiles. I've done this before in my current home and I am really happy with the results 6 years later. However, my current home was a drop-in sink with a stainless rim around it, faucet coming out of the steel, etc...and it was easy to install over the new tiles. My new sink is a weird size (21.5"L x 16"W), which leaves me with very few choices for replacements. It is a really scratched up porcelain and I'd like to replace it with a new stainless steel sink. I found one (just one!) in that size at Lowe's, and it is also an undermount. The faucet comes out of the counter, not the sink.

My question is, is there anything I can do to make it not look weird? There will be a layered look around the top of the sink where the old counter is topped with the new. Should I have the sink installed before I tile the counter or the other way around?

Thanks in advance!

Comments (3)