SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
locacoyote

Rafter sag. Incorrect usage of knee wall?

locacoyote
5 years ago

Going to pull the trigger on a new roof, but wanted to level the structure out first. My original intent was to chop it off and re-rafter/re-sheet (sheeting... It's 1x8 ship lap that has shrunk to the point of a gap between each board) . House is 1964, 26 foot wide, 2x4 rafters and knee walls. County requirements to replace lumber are ridiculous, What serves as a framing permit is 9 pages long and requires such things as blueprints for water run off among other things.

So I decided to repair. Main part of house (read original construction) is so so. There was however a single car garage (10 foot W) and two car shop (24 feet W) added on. Ceiling joists were run front to back of house on original construction (ranch style house) as you would suspect, but run left to right in garage shop area due no doubt to the lack of load bearing walls for support.

Where it goes pear shaped is that the knee walls in the shop/garage area are sitting on one joist (parallel) atop some plywood that makes up the attic floor. This I believe is the cause of the sag over the shop area.

So the question is, how to get the roof back up and supported. I have most every tool known to man (save the tools! collect the whole set) much to the chagrin of the X, including saws, all nail guns, and jacks. At 64 if I don't have it, I probably don't need it. But hey I will die knowing my friends are salivating over the estate sale!

Comments (17)