SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jacqueline9ca

OT - need some help with ID of old begonia

jacqueline9CA
5 years ago

Well, I posted this on the Begonia forum, and so far no responses. I am always preaching PATIENCE, but that is about letting plants alone to grow, not waiting for responses! Questions on here get answered WAY faster than on any other forum I have tried.

Anyway, if anyone on here knows anything about antique begonias, maybe you can help me - here is what I posted:

A few weeks ago my DH dug a trench in one of the garden beds near the house, because of an outdoor plumbing project. He dumped the dirt in a place in our garden which is surrounded by tall bushes and trees, with a clear space in the middle. Yesterday I notice a new plant had suddenly appeared in the "clearing". It looks like some sort of begonia to me, and I did not plant it. Of course, a bird could have planted it, but I suspect that somehow its seed or whatever was lying dormant in the dirt my DH dumped there. When we moved in here 40 years ago, there were a few very small begonias in a different bed near the house, and my FIL (b 1913) who was still alive then, told me his mother (b 1885) had planted them. This one is taller than they were, and as I recall them looks different.

Anyway, I love mystery plants, and also what I call "family heirloom plants" - we have LOTS of old old roses from 2 or even 3 generations ago. So, my question is - can anyone ID this one for me? I want to save it - my first thought was to dig it up and put it in a large pot. A horrid bug of some sort has already damaged the stem, so I hope I can save it. I need to know how much light it likes, how much water, etc. - I know nothing about begonias (is it actually a begonia? I might be wrong).

Any information you can offer would really be appreciated.

Jackie

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida