SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_830446402

Help, newly planted wax myrtle shrubs showing multiple symptoms!

Peter S.
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hello,

I planted 60 wax myrtles around the perimeter of my backyard to grow a privacy hedge. They are small 1 gallon size. I tried to do everything by the book. I planted them at ground level and they are getting plenty of water from the rain. I also have a drip irrigation system so each plant gets direct and slow watering twice daily. I live in Central FL so it is supposed to be an ideal location for wax myrtles. They grow in the wild here. I have not yet fertilized them, however they were probably being fertilized at the nursery where I bought them.

They have been in the ground for about 2 weeks now and I just noticed today some signs of.....I don't know what. Pests, fungi, disease, or ALL of the above? I have no idea. I am seeing multiple symptoms. I will try to attach as many pictures as possible though this is my first post here so I don't know how many they will allow me.

Some leaves appear to have a silky web around them. They are curled up like something made a nest in it. I don't know if that is the main problem or just ONE problem. Is that a caterpillar of some sort and does it eat/destroy my plants?

Some leaves are very very light, almost yellow. I usually associate light green with new growth, but this looks perhaps too yellow? Just a few plants are that way...

Some plants have brown spots on the leaves, mainly around the tips. A lot of the new growth, the smallest leaves, are brown and curling up as though dying. Why would the new growth be dying? Disease? Fungus?

Is there something I can do to treat all THREE potential issues? Some sort of universal applications for pests, fungus & disease, without hurting the wax myrtles?

I will buy whatever I need to. Multiple product recommendations appreciated! I just don't want these to die! I thought I read something somewhere about sea weed juice/extract or something?

Thank you for any help! Pictures below:

Comments (22)