SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cipher_six

Small dining room table size + rug size help

Michelle
5 years ago

Hello! My dining room is 10' L x 9.5' W. My family has expanded and I'm trying to shop for a bigger dining table. I currently have a 46.5 in L x 29 in W table plus a server that is 5' L x 1.5' W in the room. The room is enclosed on two connecting sides (with a large picture-type window on the long wall), completely open on one 9' end, and there is a 3'.3" pillar on the other long wall that marks the outer corner of the room and leaves the rest of the wall open. There are no doors. I am trying to seat 4 people comfortably with space for up to 6 as needed. Our current table barely has room for our place settings.

I've been exploring round tables as the best solution but I'm not sure if it is the best. I like a modern design with slender legs and light/bright wood to keep the appearance lightweight but cannot use a glass top or a single pedestal as I have a toddler in the home. It has been very difficult finding what may be an appropriate size in this style (they're either very small or possibly too big) so I'm seeking advice on what would actually be the best size/shape of table.

I would also like to include a rug to add color and interest to the space as well as create a "border" to say "this space is the dining room" since it is completely open on one end but I have not been able to fit an area rug into this room in a way that accommodates keeping all four chair legs on the rug at all times. Would it be best to omit the rug? What could I do instead? I currently have light colored ceramic tile with something like beige mottling in it (similar to this).

Thank you for any advice. I am up against a timeline (have family visiting for a month in a couple of months) and am at my wit's end after spending weeks looking at tables trying to figure this all out.

Comments (3)