SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_35844888

Will a spruce tree re-leader after root damage?

User
5 years ago

I have enough pictures to show this so thought it might be helpful to someone questioning this.

This was a 5 ft spruce I brought into the yard from the woods, a year ago last April. Looked nice and I thought I had done a good job of digging.

Summer came and the tree put out nice grow for a transplant but I noticed the tree didn't put out much of a leader. But it was a woods tree and there was brush and other tree roots I had to deal with, so I must have chopped something that caused the tree to make a very short leader last year.

No big deal I figured, there are some winter branch buds surrounding it so next spring it will put another bud out the top of the short leader and away we'll go with a nice new leader.

Well, that didn't exactly happen! I ended up having to move the tree to another part of the yard.

The short little leader looked almost dead in the spring, with no leader bud and the branch buds around it looked to be mostly dead. Around May I was looking at it and could see one of the branch buds expanding, couldn't be sure what was happening because when I looked at it later in the spring it was laying almost flat, as you would expect from a branch.

I thought oh well, might have to wait another year. :-|

Today I was looking at the same tree and wow, that flat branch has straightened up and has assumed the role of main leader! Forming winter buds with a main leader winter bud too! I was surprised but have seen other white spruce that have the main leader almost flat or curled early in the summer season and stand up by fall to be perfectly straight.

So it's all down hill from here, I think. Most of the branches from this highly abused tree have formed winter buds even though some of them had only a small amount of new growth this summer.

[Here is another thread about this tree and it's late August ordeal.[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/honey-the-shed-is-in-the-wrong-place-or-august-transplanting-dsvw-vd~4793755)

Comments (11)