SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stjoe56

cabinets - wood versus laminate

LJ
5 years ago

First, thanks for the unanimous advice to go with the more expensive designer. You were all right. She had a far better handle on things and her design was something I never would have thought off and it was perfect for our needs.

But following some other suggestions, I had a conversation about cost and how to cut it.

Her first suggestion was: "Would you consider using a flat laminate door instead of wood. It will save you anywhere from $6 to $9K on the cabinets alone.?" So I google laminate kitchen cabinets and see the wide variety of colors and styles available. Now years ago I heard bad things about laminate doors. Doors bubbling and such after only two to three years.

So I would like some wisdom from you kind folks (and you are kind in sharing your knowledge).

What are the pros and cons of using a high quality laminate cabinet versus a wood cabinet? What am I giving up.

Using a flat panel is not our first choice, but given our age and disabilities it is more important to put the necessary upgrades on the inside: e.g., pull down shelves, drawer organizers, etc. So if I can save money on the outside so I can spend it on the cabinets interior upgrades.

Any help greatly appreciated.

LJK

Comments (10)