SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jane2516

Sewer clean out plug: Cover or drywall around?

Jane
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

There is a plug like this sticking out of my drywall near the floor of a lower level bedroom:

https://www.thespruce.com/sewer-clean-out-where-to-find-it-3973572

It is currently surrounded by crumbling drywall. What should I do to make it look more finished?

I could tape, mud, caulk and paint it to make it look OK, but that might be a pain if it ever needs to be removed. It would require several coats of mud and a thick bead of caulk.

I found a 5 inch oatey cover for it online, but it uses a screw in the middle and the plug does not currently have a hole for the screw. Also I really hate the shape of the oatey cover because it reminds me of a toilet.

I could cut a 1.5 inch length of 4 or 5 inch pvc pipe and maybe put a plastic cap on the end, caulk the pipe to the wall and paint both pieces. That sounds like a hack but it would be a decent shape. The caps I have are from food products and are flimsy.

I could frame around it with wood, but that doesn’t sound like a good solution either. The top of the frame could be about 9 inches off the floor and would have to be removable, I think. Maybe I could make it look like a really tall baseboard, but I would lose a couple of inches of floor space.

I might be able to find a plastic bowl to caulk to the wall.

Any ideas?

The plug hasn’t been used ever or at least since the 1980s, and I did do a $500 deep drain cleanout with rescue rooter once, so I don’t know if current technology requires that the plug be used at all. (That cleanout process could go hundreds of feet, so I was told.)

Thanks for any help!

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!