SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jane2516

What size tile spacers for shower subway tile on walls?

Jane
5 years ago

I like the look of 1/16” (1.5mm), but the Internet is telling me 2-3mm to allow for stress movement. The current shower uses 4x4 tile with shower pan and the grout lines look like they range from 1/32 to 1/16”. There are vertical stress cracks in a couple of the lower tiles which I assume are from slab/pan movement. Shower pan is on concrete slab and will be replaced with a similar well-rated plastic-ish pan (not cast iron). Subway tile will be ceramic. Current tile is ceramic.

Should I search for 3/32” spacers, or go with 1/16 or 1/8? 1/8 seems huge. Subway tiles will be white 3x6 with white grout. Smaller grout lines are easier to clean. I wonder if the original tiles were set without vertical spacers. Could that be why they cracked? The cracks are vertical.

Or could I solve the issue by leaving more caulked space between the shower pan and the first row of tile, and not take the hardiebacker all the way to the floor? I have floating walls (studs) so if the backerboard goes behind the shower pan, I might alleviate stress by keeping it an inch off the concrete slab. (Not sure how the original installation was done, but in other rooms I am finding drywall meeting the slab which seems like it could stress the drywall.)

Also, how many spacers do I need to buy? 4 per tile?

Comments (5)