SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jkatx

Shower floor tile - match charcoal slate floors or white subway walls?

j k
5 years ago
I have about 24 hours to make this decision, so all advice welcome! Really hoping Beth jumps in because she’s been involved in some of my other bathroom quandaries :)

We are doing an 8” hex charcoal slate-like porcelain tile on the bathroom floor. The shower walls will be stack 2x8 matte white subway. I originally tried to find a charcoal 2” hex that matches the floors for the shower but had difficulty with that. My husband said he wanted white 2” hex anyway because he thought it would be weird for the dark floors to be interrupted by a white curb. So that’s what I rolled with.

But the tile store let me know this week that they did indeed hunt down a nearly perfectly matched charcoal 2” hex. Also, the white hex we got isn’t from the same line as the subway, so the color matches but the texture is a bit different, more slick actually. I’ve also been reading that white shower floors are a bigger pain to keep up with. We’d do a light/medium gray grout, but not sure if that makes a difference.

I’ve seen both combos in inspiration pics, but looking at what I’ve pinned I see more dark shower floors with dark bathroom floors. The walls are Simply White, the vanity will be walnut, the fixtures are black and I’m mixing in some brass for warmth.

What do you think Houzz? Would you go white hex to match the shower walls or charcoal hex to match the bathroom floors? The lighting isn’t great in this pic because we just have a single bare bulb up during the construction madness, but these are the materials we can work with. Thanks!

Comments (14)