SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sbm321

Setting up first apt. -- making a list!

Sueb20
5 years ago

In a few days, I am leaving with my just-graduated DS to fly across the country and help him set up his first (non-college) apartment. The twist is that we will be in a hotel for about a week, then if all goes the way we think, he will move into the apt at the end of the week and I will leave the next day. So, I have about a week where I can shop for stuff, but have nowhere to put it. Then about 24 hours or less to help move into the actual apt. He will be at work during the day for the week that I'm there, so I'll have lots of time to hunt down secondhand furniture (and hopefully have a few items on hold a the store for pickup on move-in day). I hear there are great thrift/consignment shops in Tucson, so hope to find the basics there just to get him started: a sofa?, couple of occasional tables, bureau, possible kitchen table. I am not going to fully outfit the place, just get the basics and he can "fill in" as he gets time and money.

I figure this is almost the same as moving into college, which we have done, but found a pretty good "first apartment" list anyway. https://www.myfirstapartment.com/2013/05/things-you-need-for-your-first-apartment/ 

Anything you would add? My DS is a great, smart guy but he's kind of clueless about this sort of thing. I figured I'd make a comprehensive list and leave it with him to help him determine what he needs when he's continuing to set up the apt. after I'm gone.

I am so sad about him moving, but also kind of excited to have about 9 days with no responsbilities other than shopping and apt hunting! Leaving DH with dogs and moody teenager. ;-)

On the other hand: Tucson in July. Cringe.

Comments (25)