SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

Dining Room Redux? and Sad Tales

mtnrdredux_gw
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

We lost our favorite tree last week. It was very old and large (2ft around or so) and covered in ivy and it was the focal point of our DR. I am bereft. I love big old trees and though we surely have many, many of them, some are special. It was leaning away from the house so I let it go longer than I might have otherwise.

It has raised the issue of what to do with the flower bed the tree was in, which I will get to later.

At the same time, I have been tweaking my DR. We essentially own 3 dining room tables (one in our foyer, one in our DR, and one in our craft room, and a 4th, more casual, wooden table that we have in our breakfast room. When we entertain larger groups these tables get moved around to various rooms and used in different ways for buffets, or seating, or even card games. Some of these permutations have me rethinking my DR.

Add to that, I have realized that I would enjoy some covered space outside (better yet if it is screened), and for now the best solution was to take over part of the DR which has screened french doors and a nice view (sounds improbable but bear with me).

So, the real conundrum is the layout of this crazy dining room, 11' wide by nearly 28' long, french doors on 3 sides and a wall of windows. The PO had the room very crowded, whereas we pretty much have only a dining table and chairs (bought from the PO!), two very small buffets, and a very large tree-like plant (not shown)

How would you lay out this room? It has a slate floor, a timber and stone corner fpl, beams (painted white). It feels like a sunroom, though both the PO and we use it as a DR. It may be my fave room. Like our entire house, it is casual farmhouse-y.

Here is the floorplan. The mark up in yellow is the french door swing. I could prob change the ones in the hall to swing out. The exterior doors can't swing out. Would you arrange it the same way or would you break it up or ???

In this exterior photo you get a sense of the room and the lost tree. My DD is entering the screened french doors. You can see the ivy-covered tree leaning, even then (~ 6yr yrs ago).

I need to decide what to do in front of the windows now. I wondered if I should rip it all out and put in a bed that I just fill with annuals? How can I make up for the loss of my dramatic tree?

Comments (77)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    5 years ago

Love United House Wrecking...that's where my cranes came from and my leaded glass doors and my alabaster pedestal.

I agree the tree is better gone and shouldn't be replaced. But you can use the spot for something temporary only as, as the stump rots, the ground will sink...might be an issue for a large sculpture too...wouldn't want it to list! If the stump is ground, then you can plant over top without issue.

I have to say I loved the dr set up as it was with it being more minimalist which really makes the view the star. I can see why adding some seating would be desirable for the view, but the breathing room in the room is so nice.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • nutsaboutplants
    5 years ago

I prefer the view you have now, with no tree. How about a *huge* copper or iron sugar kettle? In warm weather, it would be a planter or a water feature. In cold weather, it would serve as a fire pit, on occasion, even if you don’t need one regularly. I’ve been to someone’s house that used to be a plantation where they grow herbs like mint, rosemary and thyme around the sugar kettle. In cooler weather, when it’s used as a fire pit, the surrounding herbs smell heavenly. Here are a few pics to give you an idea. It would give you a constant feature that you could work with and change seasonally.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked nutsaboutplants
  • Related Discussions

Sad Furniture Tale

Q

Comments (16)
    Hi Nanabella. I'd probably get sent to time out if I made a direct link to another website, but there's a popular TV-based decorating board that has almost the exact same discussion this morning, although there it comes from the other side--the DIL--and at this point she still has her MIL's table. This is what the Generation Gap is about: not pot, not sex. Furniture. All I can say was I was fortunate to be born with ancestors who had decent taste. Either that or I inherited their tastes along with their furniture. I think the real issue is not DIL's taste--or lack thereof--but her cluelessness when it comes to money. The table is just a symptom of the larger problem. If you don't like something, that's fine. But selling it for almost nothing is simply stupid. Let's hope your son makes really good money. He'll need it. Regards, MAGNAVERDE.
    ...See More

Restaurant recommendation redux: NYC?

Q

Comments (25)
    Funny I just saw this thread...I took the train down to NYC Friday and met a bunch of my old college roomates in mid-town. We had a GREAT dinner at Landmarc (the one at the Time Warner Center @ Columbus Circle...although I thought the one in Tribeca was had a cooler atmosphere). Not only was the food great, but I was tickled pink that ANDERSON COOPER was two booths away eating. I never thought I would be a celebrity stalker, but I have to admit, I think I walked past his booth to the bathroom three times ;) (oh, and Kevin Spacey was filming a movie right when I got off Amtrak...again, star-struck!) Anyway, Landmarc was good--and we got a bottle of wine to split and steaks/seafood and we each paid $44 with tip included. :) Sarah (Oh...and a cool place for drinks is this little chi-chi place called the Hudson Hotel only a block away from the Time Warner Center--it's unmarked, and BEAUTIFUL inside...but I think the drink prices are a little steep...a plain Coke--maybe six ounces?--and a glass of the house Pinot was $19!!) :) Sarah
    ...See More

Fairy tale kitchen :)

Q

Comments (36)
    Mama G, I noticed the blue bottles first thing. Also the plate rack cabinet which is different from most I've seen. I want one row for 11 inch plates vertical, one row for small plates, and then what is left over, maybe have that flat storage shelf at the bottom. I want to put my white stuff in those, and the colorful dishes in the glass door cabs in the dining room. Where there are open shelves, you need to use things frequently to keep dust to a minimum, or wash those items regularly anyway. Behind glass doors, displayed pretty dishes stay cleaner. I have my DH's family china he saved from his mama's house, something like American Limoge, creamy white with a gold band. I have a set of Sakura jungle animals and parrots that I'd like to keep visible but safe too. The cups and dessert plates have a gorgeous design. Has anyone heard from Springfield recently?
    ...See More

A reason for good/bad/sad?

Q

Comments (38)
    Overall, a big factor has been media saturation. At one point, most people probably only knew what their neighbors' houses looked like. People who bought decorating magazines had some idea of what was going on in the country at large, but I don't think circulation of the higher end magazines was particularly high, and there was not anything on television like there is now. I have a collection of Architectural Digests from the early 60s related to the era of my house and it came out 4-6 times a year, and the prescription was very expensive. I figured it out one time in 2016 dollars and I want to say it worked out to the equivalent of $20 an issue or something like that. On top of it, although the houses featured were of well-to-do people and featured well-known decorators and designers, the houses were much more modest than those featured now and there was no real celebrity presence to speak of. (But still Rolls-Royce was a regular advertiser to readers). So the target market for arguably the highest end design magazine of the day was the same as the people who got their houses published, essentially. The median household income of the reader of AD at this time is $108,000. The median household income of the owners of featured properties is what, probably ten times higher? So sure, the average person is seeing a higher level of design, and is actually surrounded by it. I grew up in a small town three hours from a major (actually a minor) city. But a city with things like department stores. I had been born in that city and we traveled there regularly. When I was in high school I had several pairs of pants and some shirts from Izod. This is before Izod and Lacoste split. So they had the alligator emblem embroidered on the chest or pocket and on a belt loop of the pants. People thought I was wearing Garanimals. There was no brand recognition at all for anything "designer" at all. Most of my clothes, and everyone else's were from Sears. Now everyone has brand recognition of everything.
    ...See More
  • party_music50
    5 years ago

I'm a gardener with a different vision. lol! My eye is drawn to the Japanese-style tree near the chimney and it makes me wonder why there would be boxwood in front of all that glass.

If you decide to start with a blank slate, I think you could accomplish what you want (seasonal interest) with far less effort by using a mix of small shrubs, perennials, bulbs, and annuals (annuals planted where the bulbs die down). What's the sun angle?

ETA: I do think the boxwood is acting as a darkening/privacy fence... if you were to remove it, my guess is that you'll notice it missing, the room will be brighter, and then you'll suddenly realize how much it kept you from seeing. :O)

mtnrdredux_gw thanked party_music50
  • czarinalex
    5 years ago

I like the idea of a sitting area in the dr room with your round dining table.

As for the planting bed, there are a lot of good ideas here. I would also remove the boxwood. You can incorporate many of these good ideas in a mixed planting bed like party_music recommended above. Add a small sculpture or architectural salvage. It could look fabulous.

I didn't realize United Housewrecking was still open! I worked in Stamford for a few years in the early 80's. I would go there on my lunch hr. They had a gigantic outside area with all sorts of interesting salvage. What a great place!

mtnrdredux_gw thanked czarinalex
  • robo (z6a)
    5 years ago

Also...??

mtnrdredux_gw thanked robo (z6a)
  • maire_cate
    5 years ago

Now that I see the photo of the DR with the boxwood I agree with the others - they are darkening the room and blocking your view - especially when seated. I would be tempted to remove them and replant with a mix that would provide 4 season interest. We placed miniature boxwoods and dwarf Colorado blue spruce in front of a floor to ceiling window in our family room and interspersed them with bulbs, perennials, some annuals and low voltage lighting. Removing the shrubs would allow you to see the entire vista - from the bed in front of the window, to the stone patio and then beyond to the pond.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked maire_cate
  • carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    5 years ago

Another idea: build a box planter around the stump. We did that w/ an old oak tree that had to be removed from the center of my mother's deck. Once it's covered up, the stump breaks down and enriches the soil over time.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • Arapaho-Rd
    5 years ago

It's always an adjustment losing a tree and the shade it produced but now as others have said, you have a new, wide-open view. I do like the round table near the fireplace. Do the French doors at the far right end cover the entire wall? If so, you could try moving the loveseat facing them and chairs on either side so you have full access? It's a favorite thing of mine to switch furniture up from different rooms. Eliminates boredom w/o buying new. A water feature, sculpture or firepit might be interesting for the space left from the tree and a great place to enjoy after dinner.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked Arapaho-Rd
  • 1929Spanish-GW
    5 years ago

Love all the green in your yard - East Coast summers are great! I like the idea of a fountain surrounded by plantings like Fun's first photo. Our fountain is two tier - the top one is flat and has turned into a bird-jacuzzi. So we listen to the water and watch all kinds of neighborhood birds during the day.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Arapaho, That is so true, it is an adjustment. Even though the foliage was up far higher than what was visible from the DR, it did effect the light. I am playing around with the furniture now. You are right it is kind of fun repurposing; esp since the last thing I need is more furniture. At the far right are four french doors, the innermost two swing in, the others are stationary.

Carol, If the tree were elsewhere, I might have the patience for that. (might, LOL). Good idea though.

Maire, It is really hard to photograph the room, and I have always found it nearly impossible to photograph a room where you can see the view from the windows, esp if it is sunny out. So my photos of the DR tend to be from overcast days, This is pic from the PO where you can better tell that the room is not dark. Note, we painted the muntins Revere Pewter to make them fade into the green landscape more.

Robo, I know, DH and I have discussed that at length as a place to put a screened porch. . But exactly how do you do that? How do you marry the roofs? How do you keep it from looking like an enormous mass? That elevation has so many complexities and additions as it is. I don't think a screened porch can be added on anywhere without really ruining might what already be "ruined" . I find the rambling charming, but we may be reaching overload!

Czarina, I am thinking long and hard about the boxwood. It may feel naked and exposed in here, like a glass box, without that buffer, if you will. My gardener is a bit aghast at the idea of removing them, since every other client he has is trying to grow them and they take years. Yes, UH they are still in Stamford and still whacky!

Party, So funny about the Japanese style tree. That is outside our master and DH hates it. He calls it the "Dr. Seuss" tree. I get where he is coming from but I like its sculptural quality and that it is different. The POs were a songwriter and a set designer, and I can see the set designer's eye in a lot of his choices. The sun angle .... hmm... I am not a gardener. The room faces pretty much due East.

Nuts, those pics are just beautiful. I was thinking about height there, but I like the look of those. We would not use it as a fire pit being so close to the house, but the general idea of having one huge planter that rotates with seasons is good.

AnnieDeighnaugh, Since I have had the pleasure of hosting the Deighnaughs in this very dining room, your opinion is particularly useful! I tend to have somewhat empty rooms and walls, and like it that way. But the combo of the tree falling and repurposing this room have made me re-examine it. It has no rug no curtains no art no color and a lot of empty space. Great point about the statue may end up listing! I went to UH yesterday (you know how impatient I am about house projects). They had a huge veridgris urn on a pedestal that i liked, but sold in a set and 2500 and seemingly immovable. And a great vishnu statue that was the perfect scale and patina but apropos of nothing.

JMCK, LOL That is so true. The fallen tree has rippled out to a lot of other issues, and also coincided with my realizing we don't sit outside enough here.

Mayflowers, That is a terrific idea I never considered, a tree in a container. That puts small ornamental trees back in the running!

Dedtired, The tree was practically encased in ivy when we got here, and honestly I do think it helped hold it up; those vines are thick! TBH i would never have removed it, I loved the look. I am pretty impractical that way I confess.

Becky, That does seem to make sense to have the seating near the Fpl! The conflict is that id rather be near the screen doors at the opposite end Maybe I move them seasonally... As far as the "buffets", i think that is a limitation of my software. They are small thin buffet tables. I actually added them to make the room less empty! One has plants and the other I use for drinks.

The second "buffet" is this very narrow glass topped table with plants. It is usually centered in the room but I moved it. The lamp is new, still thinking about it. I ordered a shade from anthro. Not sure about it.

• palimpsest
    5 years ago

Would this work as a screen porch?

mtnrdredux_gw thanked palimpsest
  • beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    5 years ago

The conflict is that id rather be near the screen doors at the opposite end Maybe I move them seasonally...

I like the idea of moving them seasonally, and you might find you want to be closer or further to the fireplace or stone patio depending on the time of year.

As far as the "buffets", i think that is a limitation of my software. They are small thin buffet tables. I actually added them to make the room less empty! One has plants and the other I use for drinks.

I was thinking more in terms of once the additional seating is added in. Probably then you won't need to make the room seem less empty lol.

I love Anthro shades, esp the embroidered ones, and am sad every time I get a sale email to remember that they still don't ship the blasted things to Canada.

Such a pretty space : ) .

mtnrdredux_gw thanked beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
  • Funkyart
    5 years ago

I really shouldn't be posting here-- as I have no experience or ideas for you. My creativity is definitely at very low tide right now.

That said, I absolutely love the sugar kettles (weren't you looking for one for another project at one time?) -- I also adore the idea of a firepit that heats surrounding remnants of herbs but I get that it might be too close to the house for a firepit. Also love the water lily's. (But then the lily pond at Longwood Gardens is one of my favorite places to unwind and reground)

I have no doubt you will arrive at something lovely-- your home and grounds are all just lovely!

mtnrdredux_gw thanked Funkyart
  • Bunny
    5 years ago

I shouldn't be posting here either as my POV is very California-drought-tolerant-perennial and green East Coast summers seem very exotic to me.

I'm just not a fan of boxwood anywhere. Looking at the photo of the corner of your DR, with the wood-topped buffet on the right, I love how the french doors let in so much light and view, whereas, the windows to the left are partially covered by the boxwood.

Mtn, whatever you decide to do, I can't wait to see it. Your home is lovely beyond words.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked Bunny
  • robo (z6a)
    5 years ago

I have to admit that Pal’s version looks just a tiny bit better than mine.

If you lose the boxwood you will lose a little bit of green in the winter, which I always find very cheery. But you could do some sculptural dwarf evergreens instead maybe?

Other Four-season interest ideas: Bright yellow witch hazel, red dogwood, Coral bark Japanese maple, There’s a very attractive maple that has sort of paper bark- acer griseum

• eandhl2
    5 years ago

I loved the dining room from the first time you posted it. With the beauty outside everywhere you look you don't need art. I also prefer the present table in the room. Just a thought. Is it possible to have some kind of screened area off the indoor pool?

mtnrdredux_gw thanked eandhl2
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you, Eandhl, I appreciate that. We do have a room attached to the pool, a conservatory we added (below pressed into use for a party). I am looking into how to screen the windows (including ones in the roof). It would be too hot for any daytime use, tho a good solution otherwise.

Robo, that is true, it is always green. This is the Dec. after we bought it; we came w sleeping bags for a New Years Eve sleepover before reno started. I am going to look up the trees you mentioned; thanks. Now that Mayflowers made the point about containers, I have a whole new avenue.

Bunny, love your taste in books, and now dining rooms. : ) Do you ever get back East? If you do you must visit.

Funky, Hi. Hope things are going well, dear Funky. I was looking at something similar when I wanted a fountain in the middle of the koi pond. You may be thinking of that? Yes, burning herbs sounds sooooo cool. But it would be way too close. I also think that, if/when the table is in the center of the room, you won't see something that is low. So a container tree may be best after all.

Becky, Thank you. Do you have a Homegoods? They have Embroidered Shades very much like Anthro for much less. I bought two, then took them back, then really wanted to buy two different ones but DD and DH nixed them. They are so used to me being monchromatic they cannot deal.

Pal, The devil is in the details with this. DH wants to put it just where you show it, pretty much in the center of the house on the rear elevation.. It would be about 17x12. Here are my issues with it though. The DR mass is already 30' long, if we add to it we have something almost 50' long. I worry it will look wrong. Also, how do we marry the roofs? the DR has a standing seam copper roof. Continue it? They won't match for decades if ever? I like the rear elevation now, as below (you may recall my discussion about changing the entrance to this side with a circular drive) and hate to mess with it.

Then, a more close up view. I like the corbels (?) and overhang. We would lose them. Moreover, if you look at the door, you may be able to tell that you are looking through the hall to the front door. If we screen it, I worry you will lose that center hall view effect. Lastly, where would the seating go? It would block the view too.

PS thanks everyone with your patience as I tackle three questions at once -- furniture placement, tree replacement, and the quest for a screened porch somewhere.

• Bonnie
    5 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous property, Mtn. Of all the options I think using the conservatory, with adequate screens, might be the best solution. I agree with those who are encouraging removal of the boxwoods outside of the DR and for keeping the DR exactly as it is. As for the bed where you lost the beautiful tree, you have gotten some very good suggestions for small shrubs, perennials and annuals. You have so many beautiful components to your grounds already. Knowing your impeccable taste, I am sure you will weigh all your options and what you decide on will be both beautiful and functional.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked Bonnie
  • Bunny
    5 years ago

Mtn, I don't get back east very often, but thank you for the invitation! I would also consider being adopted. :)

mtnrdredux_gw thanked Bunny
    5 years ago

In the meantime for the conservatory, what about using shade cloth for some, well, shade? That would make it much more usable for more of the day and more of the warmer months.

That panoramic shot of the back of the house and lake is drop dead gorgeous. As a once upon a time New Yorker, that's the sort of house, especially in my teen years, I thought of as a country house, living in our small apartment : ).

Thanks for the head's up about HomeGoods. There's a Winners not too far away, and HomeSense (all the same company I believe -- TJ Maxx) in the big city, though not sure how soon I'll be able to escape the farm for any shopping...

• palimpsest
    5 years ago

mtnrdredux_gw thanked palimpsest
  • Arapaho-Rd
    5 years ago

The panoramic view of the house is just so darn pretty. A screened in porch would be like any porch that changes the lighting inside the home. I love that side/back door with it's charm. I haven't a good solution but I know whatever you decide will be flawless.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked Arapaho-Rd
  • robo (z6a)
    5 years ago

You would pretty much maintain the view with panoramic dark lanai screening and avoiding a post in line with the door. You could even arrange the furniture in a conversational grouping to either side of the door, so the only thing blocking the view would be a coffee table.

Do you use the conservatory often? Another thing to consider… You could roof it and convert the windows to detachable, replaceable with screens.

• just_terrilynn
    5 years ago

Instead of another add-on how about creating a visual to the pond/lake? Something that would work with the elevation? This would have ground lighting of course.

• nini804
    5 years ago

Oh, don’t remove the boxwood!!!!! It just fits so perfectly and looks “right” in your landscape. I’m with your gardener on this one! :) Your home & setting are absolutely exquisite.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked nini804
  • Arapaho-Rd
    5 years ago

Mtn, do you think it's possible your DR was at one time a porch? Throwing this out there & may be out of the question … converting the DR to a screened in porch and moving the DR elsewhere??

• Funkyart
    5 years ago

I agree with keeping the boxwood though I may have missed why removing it is being discussed.

Again, my opinions come with zero experience but I have a strong visceral reaction to the idea of a screened in patio on the other side of the door to the center hall and front entrance. The design you have now is appropriate for your house and property. It keeps the drama to the center table and the view (though limited) through the door. I would likely feel differently if we were talking a house in the South where you are always invited to step outdoors.

I think you are on the right track to look into screening the conservatory though I would likely consider keeping the glass ceiling. It is already the perfect size, shape and design for a screened in space. Is the location an issue? Is it too far from a kitchen for outdoor meals? Too indirect a path to the lake?

I absolutely love the iron work crossing the ceiling. I'd hate to obstruct it but is there a way to fashion a ceiling "drape" of linen or similar to break up the direct sunlight at the hottest times of the year?

Also, thanks for asking about me. I am doing ok. Dad's surgery is tomorrow.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked Funkyart
  • just_terrilynn
    5 years ago

(Highjack) I hope you are fairing well Funk!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Nini, Thank you. I am still examining my options but disinclined to remove the boxwood. My DR is almost all glass on 2 of its walls. The third wall has glass and wood doors into the K and two huge interior windows, the 4th wall has a set of french doors. I think the boxwood is needed to make it feel cozier and "contained". And while my phone photos don't show it, it is not a dark room. That said I like the room best just after a rain when it is a bit darker and the outside looks so impossibly green and lush!

Jterri, that is an excellent idea. One wrinkle is that there is sort of an island of landscaping between the house and pond, where we have a well house. I am also a tad reluctant to add more hardscape as the house is literally in a moat of stone patio (which i love and was part of the reason we bought the house). This pic is of the house when we bought it; the PO had container plants all over and we have been too lazy/cheap to do it, but looking thru photos now I think we should have!

Robo, IDK, to be honest, when I see that view, i see a screened lanai. It's one of the things that did not thrill me about FL. I always think it is interesting how people frame their view. Often I will see people on HGTV exclaim over, say, an ocean view, when what i really see is, say, half of a parking lot, a shorter building, and a blue stripe in the distance. Hyperventilating over your suggestion our conservatory, which we put in. It is lovely in winter when you come out of the pool, but too hot in July. I don't know why it never occurred to me, but the mfr of our conservatory, Parish, makes screens. Beautiful ones! I have a call into them now.

Arapaho, Thank you! I am tempted to switch the entrance so you enter from the back, with a (crushed stone) driveway running along the far side of the pond. That way when you enter you get the panorama. OTOH plowing in winter would be a nightmare. IDK!

Pal, Thank you for the mock-up. Would it be so easy to match the roof IRL? But moreover, I still don't think a 50' long mass will look appealing. And I think the current back entrance has some charm. Though I really should have containers flanking the door! Overall, my inclination is that there is no way an addition would add to the aesthetics of the elevation, and I think it would detract. Since I have other options I don't think I will do that.

Becky, Thank you, we love it too. Using a sailcloth *inside* the greenhouse is simple and brilliant and I never thought of it before! Thank you! Moreover, DH says we already have one, from our old house, that we tried but never used. (We ended up planting cypress trees instead). In addition, and this is a little odd, but... We went to an art benefit and the benefit had huge posters as you entered, of famous artists. I think 10'x10' or so. They auctioned them off, and we bought one for our pool area. I was going to hang it on the wall, but it could make a really interesting shade sail (it is vinyl I think). Lastly, it occurs to me that, although I want a room with shade and with screens, maybe I can have permutations in more than one place. That is, make the greenhouse shaded and add screens. But, why not also put a shade sail over near the koi pond for seating there during the day, even if it is not also screened for night.

Bonnie, thank you for your kind words. I do think the conservatory makes the most sense, even though it is the opposite end of the house from the K. The pool area does have a wet bar though.

You guys have been amazing and I think a plan is taking shape:

1. Investigate an ornamental tree that can go in a container where my lost tree was. (thank you again, Mayflowers) For Zone 6 and nothing red, orange or yellow. My thoughts are: weeping white birch or, white Japanese wisteria(winter interest) or maybe some type of topiary. I also like tree hydrangea or peony trees, but I think they will be too spindly and inconsequential when not in bloom.

Weeping white birch, summer and winter:

Wisteria

2. For now at least, put up a shade sail or similar in two places; inside the greenhouse, and outside where we have a dining table near the koi pond. (thank you, Becky)

3. Get mosquito screens for doors and window in greenhouse.

4. DR - For the time being, ie the rest of this summer, use one end as my "screened porch". I don't think I will rotate out the long table even though it will be temporarily crowded, because there is no good place to store it and it won't fit well anywhere else inside, without having the cascading effect of having to get rid of another table someplace else. Come winter, the wicker furniture will go back to the conservatory. Then I think I will look for two chairs and a small table, which can be in one end of the DR in winter, near the fpl, and the other end in summer, near the screened doors.

Whew, that was easy!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Funky,

You posted while I was composing my diatribe, LOL. But you pretty much said exactly what I said!

• robo (z6a)
    5 years ago

Looking like a great plan! Rookie Question....can wisteria escape a pot? It's so gorgeous but so much work, so I hear. I've been truly impressed by what unchecked wisteria can accomplish.

• Funkyart
    5 years ago

Ah yes .. I think you have a great plan. I couldn't identify why not to pull out the boxwood-- but it's exactly what you said, it defines the boundaries and "walls in" the room and I bet it looks perfect with holiday and winter décor!

Sorry, I missed Becky's suggestion for a shade cloth (and that's the name I wasn't coming up with too!) Still-- it was a great idea. I like the look of it and I think it's going to really change how you use the conservatory.

I love the look of the previous owner's container plants on the patio.. it is inspiring me!

5 years ago

For planting in pots, here some inspiration from one of my favorite garden blogs/Instagram accounts, Deborah Silver from Detroit Garden Works:

Dirt Simple blog

Deborah Silver instagram

Detroit Garden Works instagram

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Funky,

TBH the more I look at photos of the property, the more I realize it was nicer under the PO. It is easy to get lazy. Inspired me too!

Robo, I texted my gardener a photo and he was fine with it. I am confident he can wrestle it. Wisteria are also a sentimental favorite, because we used to live across the street from this garden. We picnicked there, and went to concerts and teas and benefits. The vines are almost as lovely when not in bloom, they are so sculptural.

That said, I am going to look today at what's avail at the local garden center, too.

• robo (z6a)
    5 years ago

It is truly beautiful!! And a nod to your dearly departed ivy vine as well.

• daisychain Zn3b
    5 years ago

Good gosh, I can't imagine what "more beautiful" could possibly look like as you claim it was under the PO.

My minor contribution is that we did a screen to cover our clear ceiling in our poor man's conservatory at our lake house. It is more like this picture than what you've posted. Not sure if it appeals, but ours was relatively inexpensive and slides across easily so that we can use it when needed.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Daisy, those are brilliant. I think the ones from Parish are like that, the one I have is just a triangle and is stationary.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    5 years ago

That's wonderful, Maire!

• jmck_nc
    5 years ago

Just a caution that you may end up blocking the view of the pond if the tree, such as weeping birch or wisteria gets too large. There is a lot of foliage there! A weeping blue atlas spruce or such will not have all that leaf cover but is still interesting to look at.

ETA: I think your plan sounds great and practical. Especially as you may move relatively soon and may spend other summers until then more often in Maine.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    5 years ago

JMCK, that is true. I am getting used to being tree-less. Sort of. The other element is that I will have to choose my container wisely since we get freezing temps and it can crack. Lastly, I have to admit that I like trees in containers best when in multiples.

True, we are currently thinking we will put the house on the market in ~3yrs. And this is the most time I've spent at this house in summer (my kids are taking courses locally).

My poor tree measured out at 32" diameter, and the ivy vines were several inches thick; it wasn't hyperbolic to suggest they held the poor 'ole tree up!

When it is ground down, I actually have one or two things I could put there in the interim, an antique metal armillary or a white painted white cedar obelisk.

In the meantime, DH switched out the long rectangular table for the round one we had in the craft room and we now have our "summer set up" for the DR. I have really enjoyed my "screened porch" sitting area. Hearing the birds and the fountains and feeling the breezes.

• Bonnie
    5 years ago

Beautiful changes, both adding the round table and moving it closer to the FP, and in the fabulous new grouping at the screened end. Bet you will be happy with your choices. What tree? The view to the pond is TDF! And the boxwoods should stay.

• OutsidePlaying
    5 years ago

Love the changes, Mtn. The whole room seems to open up to the outdoors. Glad you decided to add the love seat to the setting, as it adds more definition to that end. And the rug is perfect too.

That was one huge tree. I forgot to say that I kept one of our JMs in a pot outside for 3-4 years before we finally had it planted. I believe I bought two of them from buymaples.com, a place in NC. It was the only place I could locate true dwarf varieties at the time. Yes, in your climate, you would need to be careful with the container. Good thinking.

• maire_cate
    5 years ago

Changing the table and adding the seating makes the room seem much cozier and interesting.

Terrain has 'frost proof' containers. We have one that's been left outside for 5 or 6 years and it's never cracked.

• robo (z6a)
    5 years ago

Mtn...it looks absolutely stunning and I love how cozy it is. The view is tdf.

another question/idea—could you convert all the dr windows to french casement/ french doors with retractable screens? I’m very ambitious! I see your windows are quite wide so maybe this is not an option. And they look so great as is, I’m sure it would be messing with perfection. It just that I want this life:

• Arapaho-Rd
    5 years ago

WOW, the photos are even better than imagined. The round table breaks up the long room and gives way to that sitting area which is perfect. I'd be having a cup of coffee there now listening to nature.

For the vacancy left by your beloved tree - I love the idea of an armillary. I've been in search of one myself so hope you have another reveal photo :)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    5 years ago

Are you planning to bring back the long dining table in the fall? Just curious since you said this is your "summer set-up." I just love the room with that long table!

• texanjana
    5 years ago

I’m so sorry about your tree! The changes look fabulous. Such an inviting room. I can only dream about breezes as it’s predicted to reach 109 here today.

• Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
    5 years ago

I missed the update. What a gorgeous new sitting area you created! It must be such a treat to enjoy on long summer evenings.

• kittymoonbeam
    5 years ago

I liked your solution to have an area to relax near the open doors and switch tables for the summer. Planting white flowering low shrubs would be pretty where the tree was if there are not too many roots. You might need to go with bedding flowers otherwise. Your gardener is right about the boxwood. I would say the same for the Japanese maple. These add value and I would not remove them especially if you are thinking of moving in a few years. If anything I would get another maple. Potted wisteria needs a very large pot. I also agreed with you about the roof and keeping things as they are now. Making a bed where the old tree was gives you plenty of options to be creative, add color, maybe plant some bulbs. The space is beautiful the way you have it so making the table change didn't compromise anything.