SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tphilly

They want HOW much for a deck?!?

tphilly
5 years ago

Our 18-year-old deck is in need of repair. One of the supports is not level, the railings are rotting, stairs are terrible, etc...The original deck is (guessing) stained pressure treated with composite for the decking.

We have lived outside Madison, Wisconsin for three years. I can't tell you how difficult it is to find contractors to even return a call! It's very difficult to find someone to actually do work on the house. Found a contractor who was very professional, see them working in the neighborhood, highly rated on Houzz, and showed up when they said they would. A great start.

We are admittedly LOW maintenance homeowners, so we discussed composite decking, aluminum railings, and possibly cable rails - NOT lowest cost options. For comparison, he estimated a pressure treated deck would be 40-50% less, and a cedar deck about 20% less than the materials we discussed.

I was hoping the cost to replace deck was under $30k. After talking with the estimator, he thumb-nailed $40k. Okay. Got the email estimate...$64k!!! That's more than 10% of the home's value! And a cedar deck for $51k?!?

Admittedly, it's not a small deck. The main portion is ~13'x15' then a walkway of ~8'x26'. But it's nothing fancy/multi-level/etc...

SO...

1) Clearly they don't "need" the work, although they say they can get it done late this fall. Many contractors are completely booked for the year (and have been for months).

2) Should I take the hint and they just don't want this job?

3) We live in a super-hot housing area, but it's still Wisconsin. Putting $64k into the house would put us at the top-end of our neighborhood and near the top of the adjacent neighborhood - literally across the street from us.

4) The adjacent neighborhood are new homes, most which have composite decking with aluminum railings, many with the cables. The front of our home faces these homes.

Pictures attached. While we're re-doing the deck, the stairs will come down to a landing, then down to the lawn at the lowest level instead of two small falling-down steps at the top of the hill.

Any thoughts? Suggestions?

Comments (33)

• tphilly
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Here's from above

• PRO
    Classic Home Improvements
    5 years ago

We are in San Diego so I am not familiar with the costs in Wisconsin but I thought it might be helpful for you to view the cost versus value report to see how remodeling costs are trending in 2018. It might prove not to have any useful information but it may be a good start to see what the actual costs are running in your area right now. One thing I can absolutely vouch for is that the cost of lumber is higher now than it has ever been since I have been in construction. It's shocking, really, how much it has increased just this year.

Check out the link....Cost Versus Value

Best of luck on your project!

tphilly thanked Classic Home Improvements
  • Related Discussions

How much should I pay to clean and reseal a deck?

Q

Comments (2)
    200 sq. ft. ??? do it yourself. Do you know what \ is on it now ? Is it discolored or gray ? HD sell the Cabot line, I have heard good things about. I have never tried it because my deck 2,000 sq. ft. and was originally done with Stain from Menards, "Flood Inc" so I have been staying with that line to prevent any issues arising from non-compatibility in the stains.
    ...See More

Deck, or no Deck (I want a patio)

Q

Comments (23)
    rosiew Amazing - this post began more than a year ago and has life again. Thanks for your suggestion. The pergola is under construction now. We did give consideration to using greenhouse shade cloth but opted to install lattice atop. Should the shade be insufficient we'll make a change. Are afraid that the adjacent trees will cause leaves, etc. to be constantly on shade cloth and can blow away. Have had to downsize the shade area because the city said 12 x 16 is too large (now 8 x 12) - even though they previously approved the footings. The most incompetent, arrogant and disgusting lot of bureaucrats anywhere. No discussion, was told a variance would not be approved, just that everyone must follow the rules. If you ever have a week I'll expound on my true feelings!
    ...See More

How much does it cost to build a deck?

Q

Comments (4)
    We offer AZEK® PVC Deck Boards, TimberTech® Capped Deck Boards, TimberTech® Non-capped Deck Boards, and YellaWood® KDAT Deck Boards because each are the very best in their category. We're pretty sure one will be perfect for your deck! If the budget is tight, or if you just prefer genuine wood, you can't go wrong with YellaWood® SuperSelect KDAT Deck Boards, the only grade we sell. Kiln drying after treatment gives YellaWood® KDAT Deck Boards a huge advantage, and each board is specifically selected for appearance and strength. It is so far superior to regular pressure-treated lumber that it is in a category by itself! http://www.vintagewoodworks.com/deckcomponents.html
    ...See More

How much does it cost to replace coping and flagstone deck

Q

Comments (2)
    I have 550 sqft of coping and decking and it's $12,000, but that's from no pool and grass to the coping and decking. Doubt that helps, but thought I'd offer what I can.
    ...See More
  • tqtqtbw
    5 years ago

See if you can contact the deck builders for the new houses for an estimate. I suppose part of the cost estimate is for the careful removal of your current elevated deck.

tphilly thanked tqtqtbw
  • Judy Mishkin
    5 years ago

in new england there are two kinds of contractors: ones known for reasonable prices that dont return your call because they already have another job lined up, and bigger 'pros' who do answer your call, act very professional, book 6 months + out, and charge a great deal of money for a very good job with top materials and design.

we're having a $75 gulp K two story deck and screen porch being built right now. we booked last august for this april. what he is building is amazing. i'm just pretending its really not costing that much. i dont think for a minute he is overcharging us. he just doesnt do 'basic' stuff so he's only good if you want fancy.

but yeah. its not about return on money, its about having what you want, if you can afford it.

tphilly thanked Judy Mishkin
  • tphilly
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@Classic Home Improvements - Haha! So I can in part blame the cost on the current administration? ;) A "Midrange Composite" 16'x20' deck addition is listed at $17,095, recouping 75%. Interestingly, wood returns 81%.

@tqtqtbw A good thought - My husband thought about approaching the guys building when we couldn't get a call back. I agree the demo/dispose adds to the cost, but maybe $5k??

@ninigret I agree. I had TWO companies come out to measure and give bids, and never contacted me again. How do you get the reasonable guys to get you on their schedule - I've been trying for nearly a year. I may have to send this to the local one-man-but-very-talented carpenter and wait until next year. Wonder what prices will be then...?

Also a bite is that we really don't use the darn thing - it's more of a pass-thru for the dogs to get to the yard. But a suitable deck is certainly expected.

• tphilly
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@Steve J Looks great! I used to be the "helper" to my go-to carpenter in Illinois. Haven't found him in WI. No way hubby and I could tackle this job (for a variety of reasons). :)

• Mrs. S
    5 years ago

A family member just finished building a similar-sized deck that projects over ocean water, out of a composite material I can't recall the name of (competitor of Trex). He spent less than that, outside of Los Angeles (so, California prices), using a licensed, bonded contractor, and including all of the California Coastal Commission rigmarole and fees and everything. I believe the amount he spent even included a custom gangway.

So, if I were you, I'd hit the pause button. Keep looking for someone else. Ask on Nextdoor, and keep asking friends and others you meet.

tphilly thanked Mrs. S
  • tphilly
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@Mrs. S I agree, this is a "well if you're desperate enough, see if you'll bite at this..."

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    5 years ago

The only thing to add is that deck code has changed substantially, so the deck they build will not be the deck you have now- a lot more metal tying components together, larger framing, and deeper foundations. You also can't dismiss the materials costs- we did a deck not much larger than yours where the synthetic decking and handrails approached $30K. Also make sure you are getting the same product specced, for instance face screwed with color matched screws is far cheaper than using hidden fasteners.

tphilly thanked HALLETT & Co.
  • latifolia
    5 years ago

All the hurricane damage last year means high demand for lumber, on top of new construction. That’s what has driven prices up.

tphilly thanked latifolia
  • Steve J
    5 years ago

I used all Simpson Strong Tie attachments, and all stainless steel Camo hidden fasteners in my deck. The footings I poured under the steps were 4ft. I didn't touch the other footings as the old deck was 20 yrs old and hadn't moved an inch.

If this deck starts to come apart, pretty sure I have worse things to worry about.

I did use the decks direct balusters which are significantly less expensive than a custom metal rail, but still look decent. I would have done wood, but I like the smaller size, and I didn't have to stain them.

tphilly thanked Steve J
  • PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    5 years ago

I got a call on a coastal deck job several years ago. Spent hours and hours, emails from the coastal commission, and heard nothing back from the potential customer. Drove by a year or so ago and they had just demolished it and did nothing.

Don't ever think it's just contractors who don't have the courtesy to respond, please.

And I've got to get paid for those hours, that means they're going on the next guy's job.

tphilly thanked Joseph Corlett, LLC
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

We built 1400 sq. ft of deck ourselves with pressure treated lumber and it was less that 30 K including the steel and glass railing. We live in Canada but in a hot realty area.BTW our deck had to go around an above ground pool too with steps for different levels.

tphilly thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • Judy Mishkin
    5 years ago

next up: lets not talk about the price of made in america outdoor furniture.

tphilly thanked Judy Mishkin
  • kay kin
    5 years ago

Trying to build a home in NC, totally get the no-call back thing. Those prices are above/beyond reasonable. Possible to have someone set the posts, set the stringers & finish it yourselves? Laying the decking is fast & easy, setting steps too. Good luck! (this makes me do a big gulp waiting for estimates!)

tphilly thanked kay kin
  • tphilly
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks for the sanity check, everyone!

I don't begrudge anyone making a good living. I expect the same!

I'll talk with this contractor some more to flesh out how outrageous things like aluminum rails are. I've already called another for an estimate. Fortunately, this isn't a matter of my kids going to college vs. fixing our deck, but choices will have to be made.

• scrappy25
    5 years ago

Sounds like a great contractor although pricey. Perhaps the pressure treated wood option should be considered. Our pressure treated deck (larger than yours) is going on 24 years, I have it professionally cleaned and refinished every other year , now about $380 cost. Over 20 years even at today's prices that still wins over the cost of composite. It still looks great and is structurally sound (the structural elements have to be wood anyhow). As long as a deck looks good and is structurally sound the composite vs pressure treated will be a minor consideration in resale.

tphilly thanked scrappy25
  • J Kay
    5 years ago
    I would suggest creating a smaller footprint of the deck to save money and really think about how long you want to stay in the home. Under 10 years...go for the inexpensive wood option and make sure you choose a great long lasting stain to minimize maintenance. If you want to stay over 10 years I’d go composite. If you can find 1 more contractor get a quote to compare. Keep in mind though you want to see the work they have done. You get what you pay for in some cases.
    tphilly thanked J Kay
  • PRO
    Chalk Hill LLC
    5 years ago

Without speaking directly to your project, I can say people's expectations for their decks have changed substantially over the last decade or so. Out west I get zero calls for anything but composite. Maintenance and appearance seem to feature equally in this equation. Clients are often surprised by the cost of "just a deck" but they also expect it to look like a magazine.

The building department scrutinizes deck and railing connections with a harder eye than ever before, and Simpson have embedded themselves deeply into the building code. Lumber here has increased 32% since last November, a hefty part of that is tariff wars with Canada.

tphilly thanked Chalk Hill LLC
  • Stephen C.
    5 years ago

Check out paverdeck.com, they quoted me $5100 for the steel to do a 14x30 deck, just for the steel, not hand rails or support posts or pavers. However they do have a 30 year guarantee on their galvanized steel decking, if I do the work myself, and get the pavers my wife wants and do a waterproofing epdm membrane I'm balk parking $12k for the job. Not bad for a deck I never have to stain or paint or do any other kind of maintenance to. (I haven't picked out the railing yet so I don't know how much I need to budget for that)

• Tom W
    5 years ago

I can help you. I am a master carpenter from Mpls who has been interested in checking out Madison, mostly to see some Frank L Wright influences. Your deck can be re- vitalized for less than $30k..much less. I abhor gouging contractors. Send me an email and we'll talk. timerit@hotmail.com.

• ci_lantro
    5 years ago

Admittedly, it's not a small deck. The main portion is ~13'x15' then a walkway of ~8'x26'.

For perspective--The deck is a smidge over 400 square feet. $64K / 400 sq. ft = $160 a square foot. Basically about what it costs per square foot to build a house.

• colbran
    5 years ago

@tphilly, I'm in your neck of the woods (2.5 hours from you) and I can't even count on 15 hands how many phone calls I've made that haven't been returned. My take is that people are super busy and making a lot of money and truly don't need my business. Pathetic. And the worst answer they can give is, "I'll write this up and get back to you." No they don't....that's code for, "I don't have time for this job but I don't want to turn you down." I'm looking at deck material right now. Let me tell you, if someone comes back to me with a bid like yours, I'm going deckless!!

Oh, and @tphilly.....your post title? You had me at HOW! LOL....catchy!!

tphilly thanked colbran
  • Super Lumen
    5 years ago

I'd find a local carpenter that is licensed and trusted to come over and evaluate the deck. 18 years isn't that old if the wood originally used for the structure is treated. The carpenter may be able to diagnose and offer some simple repairs to make it structurally sound again. Make sure he or she pays close attention to the way the ledger is attached to the house, it is almost certainly not to code on an 18 year old deck, but this is an easy remediation with new tie-style anchors assuming the wood is sound.

You may be able to get away with just some structural repair, a decking replacement, and a new railing. If you go this route, while the decking is off make sure and have the tops of your structural components flashed. It will insure they remain in good shape for a much longer period.

Also, no matter what, $64K for the size described is insane. It should be less than half that. Decks are NOT complex carpentry beyond knowing the basic structural safety requirements. A good team of carpenters could assemble that sucker in a few days of work, including concrete footing work, plus maybe $7,000 in materials if you go for cedar. Last time I checked galvanized nails weren't made of gold.

tphilly thanked Super Lumen
  • Tom W
    5 years ago

400 sq ft isn't that big for a deck, I'm building one that size now. I was serious about helping you. 30 years building houses, decks are easy. The price of materials accounts for most of the incredible inflation in construction over the past 25 years. People have become accustomed to "granite" countertops, stainless appliances and a lot of other trendy, expensive wants that are completely unnecessary. Decks are no different. They will sell you a "high-end" deck that has everything but gold balusters then present you with a bill of $50,000 when it could be done much closer to $5000.

tphilly thanked Tom W
  • summersrhythm_z6a
    5 years ago

$64k is way too high, $159 per sq ft for a 403 sq ft deck. That guy is a $$ dreamer. The rate is almost for building a house.

tphilly thanked summersrhythm_z6a
  • decoenthusiaste
    5 years ago

You should certainly consider reducing the size of a deck that is never used. That bowed out section could be reduced to a simple straight walkway so you can let the dogs out!

tphilly thanked decoenthusiaste
  • PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    5 years ago

"$64k is way too high, $159 per sq ft for a 403 sq ft deck. That guy is a $$ dreamer."

It is not for posters on Houzz to decide what is too high and what is too low. That is the job of the marketplace, supply and demand. If the guy who gave the 64K proposal has a two-month waiting list, he and his prices are vindicated.

Were I in the deck business, my rates would rise even further before I'd go three months out.

tphilly thanked Joseph Corlett, LLC
  • tphilly
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks all - The $64k guy is 100 days out from contract execution, so they're clearly not lacking business. I emailed him to ask "what about options?" i.e., not aluminum cable rails, etc...So we'll see what he comes back with, but $50k+ for a deck isn't happening. Almost makes me long for the late 2000s...

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    5 years ago

tphilly:

Thanks for clearing that up. 64K has been vindicated by the marketplace since you can't enjoy your deck until fall.

• DavidR
    5 years ago

"vindicated by the marketplace"

True. And it's the consumer's right to say "that's too much, I won't pay it." If enough of them do that, deck prices come down.

And/or, more local contractors enter the deck-building business, and deck prices come down.

When the local deck market is saturated, big corporations (Decks-R-Us?) move in, making their CEOs billionaires by building shoddy decks with unskilled, poorly-paid non-union contract labor. They drive the local deck contractors out of business, and then raise their prices to what the contractors were getting in the first place -- or more.

That's the marketplace, too.

When that happens, will you still think the outrageous quotations have been "vindicated"? Just wondering.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    5 years ago

DavidR:

No one is going to drive Mr. 64K out of business. He can hire illegal aliens too.