SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bengardening

HU-266994683 what is this

bengardening
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I know this is spam, but how do we get rid of it? I think it is on here every morning. It is about movies and tickets. It is really annoying. I report it as spam every time I see it. The number is the OP. I decided to leave one of them on here so others can see it.

Comments (32)

• eld6161
    5 years ago

Not sure what this is about. Maybe OP thinks this is a movie sharing forum?

bengardening thanked eld6161
  • User
    5 years ago

It is to get you to click on the link so they can infect your computer with a virus. Just flag. DO NOT CLICK ON THE LINK. The spammers have been using several names. It is not just this name.

bengardening thanked User
  • dragonflywings42
    5 years ago

I'm up early and flag them as well. I also just flagged one that was advertising art totally unrelated to the thread. Until or unless House wants to police these types of things, I think it's up to the early risers to get rid of them.

• sushipup1
    5 years ago

Emily responded a week or so ago, when all new people were "Houzz User" that they were working on a better way. So now it's HU and a number. What happened to people giving themselves real (or made up) user names?

bengardening thanked sushipup1
  • User
    5 years ago

That is different from this. This is a phishing operation. They do use names sometimes. It is probably from somewhere overseas, since they show up in the very early morning central time.

This is from Emily on June 22nd.

For the spam users mentioned above - THANK YOU FOR REPORTING. They are removed as soon as we can find them and we do have other tricks up their sleeves to keep them away. Unfortunately, so do they. :) We will win this battle in the long run, however.

• Jasdip
    5 years ago

I too see them every morning, and flag the posts.

bengardening thanked Jasdip
  • blfenton
    5 years ago

Glad I'm on the west coast and so am not here until 6am(west coast). You guys have already done the cleaning for me. Thanks. :)

bengardening thanked blfenton
  • rob333 (zone 7b)
    5 years ago

As long as they're real people, I'm happy to welcome them ;) I'm marking them spam if it's all about a movie and only has a link

bengardening thanked rob333 (zone 7b)
  • User
    5 years ago

No words, just a link + no comments + no other posts + no pictures saved = spammer.

• dandyrandylou
    5 years ago

What does it mean, please, to "flag" a post? Thank you.

bengardening thanked dandyrandylou
  • User
    5 years ago

Click on the little flag icon at the top right of a post or comment. You can "flag" it as spam, inappropriate, or I just don't like it. The moderators will take a look at the first two and it has been said the the don't like it, just removes it from your view. I haven't used that one. I flag the spam posts.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    5 years ago

Unfortunately, I did not sleep well last night. At 4:30 a.m. there were five of them, all about some movie things. Most of the posts used one name. I flagged them all and they quickly went bye-bye. It is irritating that we have to pay big bucks to be here and then stuff like that happens!!!!!!!!

bengardening thanked jim_1 (Zone 5B)
  • ldstarr
    5 years ago

Jim ????? What big bucks????? The site is free.

bengardening thanked ldstarr
  • matthias_lang
    5 years ago

I'm guessing Houzz let's Jim_1 stay here in exchange for all the biggest deer he can put on ice and send to the Houzz offices. Me, I just send in my little thoughts.

bengardening thanked matthias_lang
  • Janie
    5 years ago

Smiling at you, Jim.

bengardening thanked Janie
  • User
    5 years ago

Oh I sure hope I did not get a virus! I clicked on it one day last week or the week before and then thought that it might be a virus and quickly shut my computer down and unplugged the whole thing. Gosh, don't people have better things to do than to reek havoc on other people? What a miserable person that has got to be!

• golfergrrl
    5 years ago

Run your virus scan to be sure, but it's probably just a spam link...no harm done.

bengardening thanked golfergrrl
  • Richard (Vero Beach, Florida)
    5 years ago

@Thistledew

I didn't look too deeply but it appears what they do may go something like this:

1. Entice you with a free recent movie.
    2. Make it look like it's right there in front of you on your screen, all ready to play but first...
    3. You need to create a "free" account.
    4. Because you need to verify you don't live in a country where the movie is prohibited to be shown (or sometimes your age). To do that, all they need is your credit card info... don't worry, you won't be charged.
    5. You get charged! Month after month you get charged until you put a stop to it.

If I'm right, you're probably fine as long as you didn't give them credit info.

The virus scan is a good idea though. Just in case.

bengardening thanked Richard (Vero Beach, Florida)
  • User
    5 years ago

Thank you so much for advice Chuggerguy! I will run virus scan.

• artemis_ma
    5 years ago

Some times I can't sleep but I've yet to run into them. Just the luck of the draw I suppose. Will keep eyes out, and yep, that would be the one thing I'd flag.

bengardening thanked artemis_ma
  • nicole___
    5 years ago

Getting hits on a site earns you money with advertisers. There are other such movie sites. Yes, recent movies are available to watch for free. As I understand it, someone pays for a ticket to go into a movie theatre and video tapes the movie, then up loads it to the movie site.

Ever been to Hawaii? There's a guy on every street corner selling $1 movies and Cd's....new releases.

I appreciate all the effort your putting into flagging these people. Good job!

bengardening thanked nicole___
  • georgect
    5 years ago

Hey Emily...here's and EASY one for you.

You can't join the discussion (post) without creating a user name/account.

EVERY site works that way!

Who is running this site anyway...you guys are a bunch of...

bengardening thanked georgect
  • Ziemia
    5 years ago

And this is the only site I've joined where you don't need a real email address to join.

bengardening thanked Ziemia
  • mamapinky0
    5 years ago

I understand Georges irritation about this.

bengardening thanked mamapinky0
  • Emily H
    5 years ago

Hi George - these usernames with the HU-#### are actual accounts. They are registered users. I also understand the frustration about this. This is a new change due to GDPR, so look for some other product adaptations as time goes on. It can sometimes take some time to make adjustments around changes like this.

• georgect
    5 years ago

Emily...i still don't buy it.

Simply FORCE every account to CREATE user name and DO NOT create automatic random numberd HU accounts.

Those HU accounts LOOK like spammers. They don't want to take the time to create an (named) account. So we can't take them seriously.

And why do you expect us to adapt to all these ridiculous changes? Thy don't make any sense.

bengardening thanked georgect
  • User
    5 years ago

Houzz is incredibly unstable. You can join with multiple accounts. There's a HT poster who's on #14 (that we know of). He could easily have more.

• User
    5 years ago

Yeah, but they get to count all the spammers as Houzz members in their totals..........

I just signed my husband up on a site he wanted to be on and I HAD to create a unique user name for him. That was Monday.

• mamapinky0
    5 years ago

There's a regular poster at the KT who has had two different names for a long while even prior to all the changes.

bengardening thanked mamapinky0
  • dragonflywings42
    5 years ago

There is another ongoing thread for people to document how many of the movie posts we flag. I usually get a couple when I'm up early (East Coast), but this morning I flagged 27 movie posts! Some were HU - with the same long number and others had "names" instead. Many of the movies were repeats. Others caught posts before and after I did. It sure isn't getting any better yet.

• bengardening
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I just can't believe that Emily told us to welcome them and that there are real people behind some of these accounts. I think that really makes us look stupid and that we aren't smart enough to know if it is spam or not. I agree all it is is about getting more advertisers because it shows more accounts for Houzz

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County