SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ike_stewart

Growing Tri-Lite Peach/Plum hybrid on gulf coast

Ike Stewart
5 years ago

I am wondering if anyone else is attempting to grow Tri-Lite Peach / Plum hybrids or any of the other Zaiger Hybrids ( Pluots, Pluerrys, etc.) in the south along the gulf coast? I have planted a few over the last couple of years, though the only one to fruit so far is the Tri-Lite on Lovell rootstock which I planted about 14 months ago. I live about 80 miles inland in western Louisiana along the 8b/9a line, we average about 600 chill hours per year here, though some years we get as high as 1,300 or as low as 450, this year it was just under 600. I am growing in native sandy loam soil that is nutrient deficient which has a pH of about 5.8 and have been fertilizing with a local commercial fruit tree 18-9-11 fertilizer blend, that was formulated for a nearby pecan orchard. I was concerned about souther disease pressure on these west coast developed hybrids, but so far they seem to be surviving with the Tri-Lite in particular thriving, it does require spraying the same as all other stone fruit in the region, but overall seems to be out performing some of my other regionally developed peaches and plums (LSU peaches, Auburn and Texas A&M Plums). I also planted a Flavor Grenade Pluot in the spring of 2017, it is growing ok, but failed to have any blooms this year, as well as a Spice-Zee nectaplum and a Sweet Treat Pluerry that I planted in April of this year, so too soon to tell on those.

Comment