SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katie_swerda

Help me give my kitchen a facelift

Katie
5 years ago

My goal is to update the look of my kitchen while improving its function. We will probably move in about five years, so I'm looking to make improvements that we can enjoy for the next few years but also will hold up under the abuse of our family of eight, so it will still look nice when it comes time to sell. This is a facelift budget ($10,000), so I unfortunately am keeping the cabinets, but I hope to get new lighting, new countertops, new sink and faucet, new flooring, new paint, and perhaps a tile backsplash.

1) Any recommendations on what to replace the florescent light with? I'm thinking maybe really long track lighting that can point both down on the peninsula and down on the counter along the back wall, both of which are very dark now. And I have no idea what would be best for the light in the breakfast nook.

2) My top contenders for countertops are glacier white corian and yellow ornamental granite. Not many countertops go with these cabinets! I plan on getting a 12" overhang at the end of the peninsula where the island cart is now, which will increase functionality of this small kitchen.

3) I'm replacing the flooring of the whole main floor, and am considering LVT because of its durability with six kids. The only requirement is that it's gotta go with these cabinets.

4) For backsplash, I'm thinking white subway tile. I have a very simple home in a modest (entry-level) subdivision, so I'm thinking simple and modest is the way to go.

Here are some pictures of my current kitchen. Thank you!

Comments (11)