SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lindavarga20

Can I plant a Cherry tree now? Cut the rootball??

lindavarga20
5 years ago

I bought a Stella Cherry sapling for my mom and its still in the pot from the store. I'd like to plant it but I've read they should be planted in late Fall or early Spring. Its early Summer, do I need to wait? We had good rain for 2-3 days so the ground should be softer now. Also I'm wondering if I should back-fill with the soil I remove from the hole or buy something else since our soil is very clay-like.

The Instructions that came with the tree state:

1. Dig a hole at the depth of the soil in the pot and six inches wider.
  2. Cut the rim off the pot and place tree in the hole at ground level.
  3. Backfill with top soil, tamp and then water generously.

DO NOT REMOVE FIBRE POT!!!

The tag has Semi Dwarf and Dwarf on it with a spot to tick off which it is but neither is marked so I don't know which type it is. I've read about rootstocks and how they limit the size of the tree. Is the fibre pot used to restrict the growth of the tree? It states the size should be 8 - 10 feet tall and 10 feet wide. We don't have a huge backyard so we don't want a tree bigger than that.

Also the sapling is crooked. Is there a way to get it to grow straight? I'm planting on a slight incline so I'm going to be planting it tilted slightly so the base/trunk is as straight as possible. I've read about burying a banana and egg with plants so they compost and give nutrients to the plant, is that something I can do with a sapling? I really don't want to kill this tree!! Mom was so disappointed when she went home after 30 years and the old orchard was gone. I want her to be able to pick cherries in her backyard again!

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!!!

Comments (8)

Sponsored
John Romans Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full Service, Turn-Key Construction & Design Company