SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pjrocks_gw

Have you ever seen a Smoke Bush like this before?

PJrocks Benoit
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

for me, part of gardening is experimenting with nature as the landscape and my taste change.

I had wanted a Smoke Bush for a long time. This was one of the very first plants I added to my garden which was pretty much a blank canvass except for 6 green balls and one traditional Lilac Bush. I got rid of the green balls except for one which is now in my Rose Garden.

Smokey was way too tall and was ripping my flag way too quickly. I decided to take action.

In the Spring of 2017, I bought a new electric chainsaw and trimmed it down to about 7' high. It looked bare for about a month. My neighbor commented on it. I assured him, it would look better than ever before once it filled in. It does. I kept it trimmed until about September last year. Because I wanted it to flower this Spring, I stopped trimming it around September. It worked. When I took these photos, it was in full flower. By late Fall, the leaves turned a crimson and darker purple. It's magnificent and pretty much a focal point of my side yard.

What's also very neat about Smokey is he bares 5 bird feeders. The foliage keeps the birds and feeders dry and protected. My canary, Buddy, gets a front seat via my large living room window. He sings his little heart out watching what the wild birds are doing out there.

Do you like Smokey? Have you ever grown one?

Comment

Sponsored