SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
edaehnicksubs

How to Make Large Front Windows Really Pop?

Ellen
5 years ago

We're renovating our small commercial building with a Texas farmhouse inspiration*, and it's time to decide how to set off the front windows. We have 2 on the front, and they are 84" wide by 72" tall. Things I've considered:

1. Shutters: a designer I worked with suggested black shutters on either side of the windows. I love the idea, but because the windows are so wide, I fear that any shutters that would fit would be too thin to look in proportion.
  2. Awnings: either standing seam (like new mansard) or fabric (with or without a valance): now that the new mansard covering is up, I can really see the 16" clearance from top of window frame to soffit. I'm concerned that awnings might look too heavy and bunched up, like the building is wearing very heavy false eyelashes.

I'm attaching a photo of where we are today - the metal on the mansard is still under construction, and the parking lot hasn't been re-striped yet etc, but you can see the overall effect. And I'm including a before picture, because I think those are always fun!

Thanks for your thoughts, advice and inspiration,

Ellen

*We operate a Texas food spot here. Sadly, getting rid of the mansard wasn't in the budget, so we've opted to cover it with standing seam metal in a weathered charcoal.

Comments (17)