SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
catherinet11

fertilizer for 300 gallon stocktank lotus bog? Alternatives?

catherinet
5 years ago

I have an inground 300 gallon Rubbermaid stocktank for a lotus bog. It's filled with soil and has about4-6" of water on top of the soil. The tank is about 25" deep, 69"L, 63"W.

I've had it for about 15 years. For about the first 10 years, it did great. Tons of leaves and blossoms, then it slowed down to barely a floating leaf. I know how invasive lotus can be and assumed the tank was probably completely root-bound. We removed about 12" of the soil and replaced it. I realize that's just a stop-gap measure because there's still tons of roots down in there, and the new soil will fill up quickly with roots. Anyhow.....For several years it hasn't blossomed, but does put out floating leaves and a few aerials. I've been fertilizing with Jobes Citrus Tree Spikes........about 4-5 pushed into the soil. Doesn't seem to do a whole lot though. Is that too little? Is that just futile?

The best thing would be to dig it all out and add new soil. Whew......what a task that would be........but it would give us another 10 years of blossoms.........until we'd be in our late 70's.

Or..........we could dig out a little soil and set a 7 gallon potted container of lotus on that. I used to have 7 gallon containers elsewhere in the yard for lotus and they did great.....but would need thinned every 1-2 years, plus we had to bury them for the winters.

Or......we could forget the lotus and just fill the tank with marginals, etc. This tank is right next to another inground tank that is just filled with water and a water lily. We love the whole area.

Any suggestions? It would be great to dig it out and refill with new soil.......but not sure I want to put my husband through that. And......digging up new soil from somewhere else on our big property wouldn't be fun either.

It's so hard giving up things we love, that we started when we were younger and stronger.

Comments (21)

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm