SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
woodyoak

Not a perennial but hangs out with them.... Playing with weigela :-)

The pictures below are not very good - most were taken with the camera on zoom from the front porch! We have a reasonably nice variegated weigela in the main front bed that has pale pink flowers in early June - not nearly as showy as ones you see in pictures but good enough :-) It looks good with the intense red-pink of a tree peony nearby in May, so a few years ago I added an Inspiration (aka Zoin) clematis near it. The clematis is a non-climber so usually just puts a puddle of color at the base of the shrub. But this spring the clematis put up vertical stems through the weigela. The clematis has been blooming for about a week now and I really like the combination. It looks better in person than in these pictures...!

In May with a couple of nearby tree peony blooms (I was really taking a picture of the rhubarb, but you can see the weigela in the background....):

Early this month with its normal pale pink flowers (once again, I wasn't particularly taking a picture of the weigela but you can see it in the picture...):

This afternoon with the clematis in bloom:

In July and August there will be hardy hibiscuses near it in shades of pink, and red. So the variegated weigela is a good companion for lots of things here. What do you grow with it?

Comment (1)