SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jennifer_rice260

Install question for exterior wainscot with "dry", stack stone veneer

J Lynne
5 years ago

I've looked all over the internet and haven't found much information on this. We are remodeling an office building and were originally going to knock down half the brick veneer to create a wainscot. We discovered that no tie backs were uses so the bricks were not secure and had to take them down and decided to install stone. It's a 4" chopped Oklahoma natural stone. We are doing a dry stack look and I'm trying to figure out how to best install it for safety and durability. We live in central Texas. We have hot and humid weather concerns.

Do we need to use ties and create an air gap and weep holes? If so, how does it get mortared for a dry stack look? Or do we need to use metal lathe and adhere stone directly to tyvek material? I've seen a mason set one stone on top of the others, take a trowel filled with mortar, "throw" it behind the stone, smooth around the back edge and continue with additional stone. Is this an acceptable method of install since the stone is a large stone and is more dense than a limestone so less likely to soak up water?

Thanks!

Comment