SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dsciontijr

2018 New appliance decision help ASAP!

dsciontijr
5 years ago

Having a very difficult time choosing my appliance package. I really wanted the slate appliances but GE doesn't have as high of ratings as the use to but... I do love the look of the slate. My second choice was to go with Frigidaire smudge proof. I am pretty particular when it comes to the fingerprint thing...I drive myself Koo-Koo with that so I know I "HAVE" to have an easy clean as those two offer. Two most important features for me are a good range(electric/double) along with a good dishwasher that actually dries the dishes. I think it's recommended to get one with a heating element if you want a dishwasher with good drying power. Anyone have the latest GE or Frigidaire appliances, particularly dishwashers or ranges? I really want to finalize the decision ASAP because this research has been going on for months and I need to make a decision so we can move forward with remodeling.

Thanks

Comments (86)

• alex9179
    5 years ago

"the question stated:

Let us know if there is a made and model of dishwasher with stainless steel tub that is bitumen free.

Makes it confusing."

Yes, I'm confused! I was under the impression that you thought the racks/interior contained it from your earlier statement. Oh well, on to your hunt.

On the appliance forum, Kitchenaid gets a lot of praise out of the offerings with a heating element. Otherwise the Euro style Bosch and Miele seem to be the most recommended. Here's an older thread with a lone Frigidaire owner, unfortunately voicing displeasure.

2016 thread

I've been a GW member for many years and the top 3 recommendations have been consistent over that time.

• dsciontijr
    Original Author
    5 years ago

GW ? sorry for the ignorance

• Related Discussions

Need appliances_ASAP

Q

Comments (7)
    I would recommend looking at a rangetop and separate double wall ovens in order to keep your pricing as close to budget as possible and still end up with a cooktop that will give you professional potential/results. Rangetop brands to look at would be Wolf, Bluestar, and GE Monogram IMO. Also, I have the GE Monogram pro-style wall ovens (not Trivection) and I really do love them. Great ovens at a good price point. Fisher-Paykel ovens are also excellent for the price point. For a powerful range hood (which will be essential with the indoor grill), I'd look at Ventahood, Broan, Independent brands with 600 cfm minimum (900+ optimal). This should be doable for $7K or less (including range hood). When I was shopping, the upper-end dual fuel ranges were very pricey.
    ...See More

New appliances so new countertops decisions!

Q

Comments (8)
    I got the WilsonArt samples and the only one I kind of like is the Bainbrook Grey. The other ones were too close to my countertop. Here's a few I had considered before when I had the white appliances. Are any of these better? Willowstone (afraid it might be too green) Sandy Topaz Or... Do I just beg and plead and hold out for quartz which is what I *really* like? I keep comparing everything to this sample of Cambria Snowdon white and nothing compares. Hanstone makes a color almost identical to this (the name escapes me right now) so I would lean toward the Hanstone since it's less expensive. It has flecks of light brown and beige in it. Where I live, Cambria is the most expensive quartz brand. Snowdon white I had to take the pictures with the blinds tilted b/c the sun is very bright today. Thanks again.
    ...See More

Help ASAP....builder needs decision on faucet!

Q

Comments (4)
    I think either the satin nickel or ORB would work the best. Personally I'd avoid anything with a high shine to the finish. I am getting an ORB faucet. At first I didn't think it would be a good idea, I was afraid the black would wear off over time. but I'm getting a delta faucet (Linden pull out with a single lever) and the woman at the showroom said that they have a limited finish warranty (lifteime faucet warranty) so it would be covered if it wore off prematuraly. I do expect some wearing of the finish over time though. I'm not worried about matching any of the hardware, lighting, etc. to the appliances. I'm getting some sort of bronze finish lighting fixtures (the kichler chandelier is called tannery bronze and the pendant will either be "earth" or an "aged bronze" depending on which one I get) and the hardware will be flat black and the faucet is ORB (but the basket strainer is chrome because it lasts longer).
    ...See More

Help in decision on Appliances Thermador or Monogram

Q

Comments (8)
    Hi Corie, After intense research I found a decent number of threads (recently on Houzz from early 2022) with numerous complaints about Thermador products failing and poor service when trying to find remedies. When buyers have issues, it seems that Thermador is doing a poor job of helping them. The deciding factor was that a friend who remodeled her kitchen with all Thermador appliances in Spring 2022 happened to share that she still cannot get help with her ”lemon” of a range oven that never worked properly. Neither the sales people nor Thermador have been willing/able to resolve her issue (Northern California/SF Peninsula). Even with the holiday promotions, I still didn’t feel comfortable spending $12K+(including a Thermador fridge) after seeing so many complaints ending with the phrase ”You have been warned.” There is so much to like about Thermador but I would hate spending so much knowing there is a fair risk of being stuck if I ever have a problem. We considered Wolf and Miele all gas ranges. Wolf, while frequent touted as the ”best overall” range, is only offering the more advanced features with dual fuel. It seems Wolf has not made any improvements to the all gas ranges in years. Miele while lovely is underpowered if you compare the burner specs (which is my primary method of cooking). While I don’t expect it to be perfect, I chose the Monogram 36 all gas. In my opinion, it offers the best combination of features and power at this time and I cannot complain about the lower price tag. While I love the look of the Wolf signature red knobs, I think I will get most of what I need with the Monogram. The range will be installed next month so I am hopeful it will live up to expectations. Good luck in your search.
    ...See More
  • chrisstack
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

i have Frigidaire professional and i love it, and no finger prints at all!

• alex9179
    5 years ago

GW ? sorry for the ignorance

Before Houzz bought the Garden and Home forums, they were under the name Gardenweb. We shortened it to GW and still refer to it. When googling for info, using "gardenweb best dishwasher" will bring up threads dating to quite a ways back. There's a wealth of information available across all of the topics.

As a member of the Gardenweb forums for years (which are now Houzz property) and reading the Appliance forum for that long, the three top rec's for d/w have been, and continue to be, KA, Bosch, and Miele. You'll see some outliers, of course, but can always count on those 3 to be praised by many posters.

dsciontijr thanked alex9179
  • dsciontijr
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks for that info Alex...I'll check it out...heard anything on the frigidaire professional ( have in smudge proof)series?

• chrisstack
    5 years ago

It is great, you can put your hands all over it and Nothing!!! Two doors on top, freezer on the bottom.

dsciontijr thanked chrisstack
  • alex9179
    5 years ago

Another older thread. It's likely that the brand hasn't changed much in the last few years. Anti-smudge is just a coating. The build quality is the most important consideration.

[Frigidaire Professional[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/frigidaire-professional-appliances-vs-kitchen-aid-appliances-dsvw-vd~3507462)

dsciontijr thanked alex9179
  • redsilver
    5 years ago

Get a Kitchenaid dishwasher, not a Gallery. Had that. VERY VERY LOUD> Kitchenaid, about 750 dollars....use a drying agent or do what we do. Run it on the one hour cycle, than cancel and drain, open the door and viola' dry dishes in about a 20 minutes? Steam to moisturize the interior air ..... KitcheAid....never hear it running. Never. If your home is open kitchen, you will not like the SOUND of the gallery running in your home for hours! Mine is black front. There were options ...BoSCH is nice, if you own an oil well. So is a RollsRoyce. Buy the budget best quality you can find of each brand. Don't buy a Samsung frig. Don't buy a frig loaded with Technology and think the computer board won't go out before the compressor...like in a year or 2. Buy what you will use. Don't buy from a big box store. Buy from an appliance store. There is a reason.

dsciontijr thanked redsilver
  • dsciontijr
    Original Author
    5 years ago

chrisstack: is it the professional series? and do you have the dishwasher?

• dsciontijr
    Original Author
    5 years ago

great info redsilver, thank you

• chrisstack
    5 years ago

Yes the frig. not the dishwasher that was here, it is a Frigidiare but not a professional. but so far so good. In my last home in 1999 I bought all four appliances GE Profile, but I heard they are not as good as they use to be.

dsciontijr thanked chrisstack
  • dsciontijr
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Redsiver: The kitchen aid is the dishwasher I wanted but they don't have the range and refrigerator in print shield like the dishwasher.

• friedajune
    5 years ago

"BoSCH is nice, if you own an oil well. So is a RollsRoyce"

Redsilver ....is .....wrong. Bosch offers DWs in stainless steel finish starting at $540. Kitchenaid DWs in stainless steel start at $700. Both brands have a wide range of prices depending on features, and Bosch is not more expensive than Kitchenaid.

• dsciontijr
    Original Author
    5 years ago

anyone have the frigidaire professional series dishwasher? really want one that dries well. But..I also don't want mix matched smudgeproof, fingerprint proof appliances...they have different tints. I want this to be done! So glad to have ya'lls input. thanks everyone!!

• jwvideo
    5 years ago

>>>"Kitchenaid, about 750 dollars .... BoSCH is nice, if you own an oil well. So is a RollsRoyce."<<<

You can ( as I did) get a very capable Bosch 300 series model DW for around $700. Trouble is, Bosch does not offer smudge resistant stainless finishes nor does it offer the slate finish that dsciontjir likes. As for Frigidaire, you might want to have a look at the Yale Appliance Blog for their service department's take on Frigidaire being among the most reliable brands but noting you might want to avoid Frigidaire's Professional Line for the time being: https://blog.yaleappliance.com/bid/86332/the-least-serviced-most-reliable-appliance-brands

dsciontijr thanked jwvideo
  • PRO
    Anglophilia
    5 years ago

I strongly recommend using a local appliance store. The salesmen there actually know appliances and weren't selling mobile phones last week, and the prices are usually very good. We're lucky in our town to have three of these, and yes, they will meet one another prices. I would never buy an appliance from a Big Box Store. The salesmen there will promote whatever is giving the best commission to them that week, not necessarily the appliance that is best for you.

• cc646
    5 years ago
    following
  • venmar
    5 years ago

Have you considered a panel ready integrated Dishwasher using your kitchen cabinet matching panel for the front? Then you have the full range of DW's to choose the features you want and eliminate SS fingerprint problem. As to off gassing concerns a fan forced fresh air ventilation system, with or without heat exchange depending on your climate, would ensure fresher air in your house, in some areas these systems may be required in new construction.

dsciontijr thanked venmar
  • Toronto Veterinarian
    5 years ago

Regarding dishwashers without a heating element: Using a rinse agent and the recommended settings, my dishes all come out dry in my Bosch, even though there's no heating element -- and I have the added bonus of not worrying about putting some things only in an upper rack rather than the lower rack. I never thought about it before I bought it, and now I love that option. The only things that don't come out dry are areas where there is a dip or ridge that accumulates water, like the edges of a plastic lid.

• Boxerpal
    5 years ago

dsciontijr

We went the matchy match route. If money were no object than I would get the AGA cooker or the Subzero frig. Luckily we found a suite of appliances that work for us. My husband cares more about the look, features, style and color of appliances than I do. We are getting KitchenAid. Love KA. I currently have a KA dishwasher and it is wonderful. I am replacing it with a new SS color with reno. I have had Bosch appliances in my last house. All great. And I had Miele in the rental we were in between houses. Miele is amazing but also expensive.

I think the Frigidaire tall tub is rated pretty well. I would go to an appliance store and look at them in person. (maybe you did this). Check them out, take the shelves out, move the knobs, see if the refrigerator has spill proof shelves, really investigate what you like for functionality. And sometimes in person you might find a salesperson who can sell you a floor model. There were Jennair floor models that we almost bought at a significant discount. A sales person will tell you what they own and why.

How to choose a non toxic dishwasher and after you do that make sure you choose dishware without lead. Another link of someone who had smell from their DW. [Help dishwasher smells like plastic[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/new-dishwasher-smells-like-plastic-dsvw-vd~4642121)

Good luck on your appliance shopping, It will all come together soon, Sometimes it it just about making the choice.

~boxer

dsciontijr thanked Boxerpal
  • Janet Mmm
    5 years ago
    dsciontijr - did you decide anything yet? I was thinking of just going with your decision - lol! Wonder if you have looked at LG Studio? I like them but a little pricey. It does say fingerprint resistant in description.
  • dsciontijr
    Original Author
    5 years ago

janetmm59-Yes, I did. I ended up going with Maytag, fingerprint resistant appliances..I got the convection oven with the warming drawer verses the double oven. All the double ovens had the larger oven on the bottom which to me, was not where I would want my larger oven to be. Trying to remove a heavy casserole or party dish down low wasn't inspiring. ;)

So, I figured, I would utilize the warming drawer of the Maytag oven I chose and just start earlier; if we were to have a large group. The maytag dishwasher seemed to have good reviews all around different sites that I researched. Those two appliances were the most important to to me to have good reviews. However, the refrigerator was 41/4 and I liked the look,plus they were all fingerprint resistant which was imperative to me. The GE dishwashers didn't have as good of reviews and I was concerned of the slate scratching. So I chose the Maytag.

• dsciontijr
    Original Author
    5 years ago

boxerpal-

As you can read..on my reply to janetmm59 I ended up with choosing the Maytag. I hope it was a good choise. I think it is for me as I am now comfortable with my choice. My most important aspects are fulfilled. Thank you for your reply. :)

• oneandonlybobjones
    5 years ago

dsciontijr-

I went to look at the Maytag Model MER8800FZ range and it has convection. The user manual for it is online at the Home Depot website and lists the cleaning system it uses on page 14. It uses a cleaning system called Aqualift and there have been many threads on Houzz Appliances Forum about how that Maytag (and Whirlpool) Aqualift cleaning system does not work to clean the oven. You should check to see if your Maytag oven uses that cleaning system. If it does then consider buying a GE convection oven instead of the Maytag because GE ovens use the standard high heat, self cleaning to burn off grease in the oven.

Click on this [link[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/aqualift-technology-on-maytag-ranges-oven-cleaning-dsvw-vd~2293510) to see a thread with many Maytag (and Whirlpool) oven owners complaining about the Aqualift self cleaning system not working to clean off grease in their ovens. Here is another [link[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/do-not-buy-whirlpool-aqualift-range-dsvw-vd~4654971?n=54) to a different Houzz Appliance thread where Maytag (and Whirlpool) oven owners also are complaining that their ovens use Aqualift self cleaning and it does not work to clean off grease. The Maytag and Whirlpool ovens will not allow you to use spray on oven cleaner either because it will damage the surface of the oven so the owners are not able to get their ovens clean. Please save yourself some headaches and do your research on this.

dsciontijr thanked oneandonlybobjones
  • Janet Mmm
    5 years ago
    dsciontijr thanks for the info! I mostly ruled out Maytag because for some reason no one has the oven on display here. I’m down to kitchen aid, GE, Lg studio and whirlpool. The last 2 are fingerprint resistant which I really would like because I live with slobs. Hope to decide soon my fridge has been making a loud boom noise every time it stops running.
    dsciontijr thanked Janet Mmm
  • Boxerpal
    5 years ago

dscionrijr

I think you made a good choice with the maytag. It is all going to work out. ~boxer

dsciontijr thanked Boxerpal
  • dsciontijr
    Original Author
    5 years ago

oneandonlybobjones Oh my WORD!!!!! Thank you for letting me know this info. Holy smokes..now I am back to searching...I can not believe this..I was so relieved, I finally had my decision made and I thought I had picked the best choice. Maybe we need a vote from the "owners and in-the-knowers" which ones are the best. appears to be others here also searching for the same.... that offer easy clean and fingerprint resistant. thanks again oneandonlybobjones

• dsciontijr
    Original Author
    5 years ago

janetmm59

I read Whirlpool owns Maytag, Kitchen Aid, Amana, and Jenn air, so...something to consider and eliminate I suppose. Unless, someone knows good reviews of the newest models.

• Janet Mmm
    5 years ago
    GE profile has a product in every category that gets good ratings and the LG studio is all pretty well rated just not as many reviews. As much as like the kitchen aid I may take it and whirlpool off the list. 4th of July sales just started so I really need to choose.
  • dsciontijr
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I too had Kitchen aid at the top of my list until...maytag. NOW...no clue. I don't know which brands use the pyrolytic cleaning method yet other than Bosh. However, they don't offer fingerprint resistant.

• Janet Mmm
    5 years ago
    Another thing I would add is I have never used the self clean function on any stove. If something spills I clean it up before I use the oven again. If I have something that spatters I usually loosely tent with tin foil. My current stove almost could pass for brand new and it’s 16 years old.
    dsciontijr thanked Janet Mmm
  • M
    5 years ago

Early on, when I first learned to cook, I was not as careful with spills/splatter. And I actually managed to set my oven on fire. That is a mistake you only make once. Ever since, I've been a lot more proactive in controlling contamination before it happens.

dsciontijr thanked M
  • PRO
    DAB Interior Design, Inc.
    5 years ago

I know quite a bit about appliances being a kitchen expert. The only real smudge free finish, I feel, is a panel that matches the cabinetry.

Not knowing your budget hard to suggest appliances as they range greatly in price. I like Thermador for induction and Jenn Are which both need 220 watt electric, as all electrical appliances do. They have amazing retractable hoods that go down into the cabinets in the back and are great if you want to have an open look. DO NOT buy an old fashion electric oven as they're the pits, especially for cooking ,maintenance and servicing! Induction cooks better than gas, you can control the heat source, like gas instantancely and the best part, besides cooking brilliantly, is the cooktop stays cool, very safe for kids and fabulous to keep clean as you just wipe it clean! You'll just love it and thank me.

220 watt electric necessary for including electric convection and steam ovens, which you should definitely take a look at, as they cook incredibly, save time, the food comes out moist delicious, not to mention if you heat up a meal from the night before it tastes exactly the same. Not only that, but if you like or want to bake bread, every bread bakery uses steam! Soft and moist inside and crispy outside. You will throw away your microwave accept for popcorn.

Refrigerators, built in Thermador and Jenn Aire and if you have 36" minimum you can get a French Door, with 2 doors and a freezer on the bottom, just order cabinet ready, so you can cover with the cabinet finish. The Jenn Aire has a stunning Black Interior, the only one.

As far as dishwashers again you get cabinet ready. Miele, definitely is quiet and you can get anyone with lights, which I highly recommend. Most higher end dishwashers are all quiet today and dry the dishes, not like cheaper commercial brands.

As I said at the beginning, not knowing your budget it's harder to pinpoint exactly which will be for you. Of course sub zero is fabulous but depending on size will run you $9000 and up, so that can guide you. You also have the options to get a couple of undercounter fridge units, which come in handy, so the kids can get their beverages without continually opening the big fridge which saves on energy and is a height which fits them and makes them more independent. Also wine coolers undercounter, if you are a wine drinker?

I kind of selected you great appliances, which work well and are middle price range in the high end more professional cooking appliances.

Good luck, Doris

dsciontijr thanked DAB Interior Design, Inc.
  • PRO
    5 years ago

I know quite a bit about appliances being a kitchen expert. The only real smudge free finish, I feel, is a panel that matches the cabinetry.

Not knowing your budget hard to suggest appliances as they range greatly in price. I like Thermador for induction and Jenn Are which both need 220 watt electric, as all electrical appliances do. They have amazing retractable hoods that go down into the cabinets in the back and are great if you want to have an open look. DO NOT buy an old fashion electric oven as they're the pits, especially for cooking ,maintenance and servicing! Induction cooks better than gas, you can control the heat source, like gas instantancely and the best part, besides cooking brilliantly, is the cooktop stays cool, very safe for kids and fabulous to keep clean as you just wipe it clean! You'll just love it and thank me.

220 watt electric necessary for including electric convection and steam ovens, which you should definitely take a look at, as they cook incredibly, save time, the food comes out moist delicious, not to mention if you heat up a meal from the night before it tastes exactly the same. Not only that, but if you like or want to bake bread, every bread bakery uses steam! Soft and moist inside and crispy outside. You will throw away your microwave accept for popcorn.

Refrigerators, built in Thermador and Jenn Aire and if you have 36" minimum you can get a French Door, with 2 doors and a freezer on the bottom, just order cabinet ready, so you can cover with the cabinet finish. The Jenn Aire has a stunning Black Interior, the only one.

As far as dishwashers again you get cabinet ready. Miele, definitely is quiet and you can get anyone with lights, which I highly recommend. Most higher end dishwashers are all quiet today and dry the dishes, not like cheaper commercial brands.

As I said at the beginning, not knowing your budget it's harder to pinpoint exactly which will be for you. Of course sub zero is fabulous but depending on size will run you $9000 and up, so that can guide you. You also have the options to get a couple of undercounter fridge units, which come in handy, so the kids can get their beverages without continually opening the big fridge which saves on energy and is a height which fits them and makes them more independent. Also wine coolers undercounter, if you are a wine drinker?

I kind of selected you great appliances, which work well and are middle price range in the high end more professional cooking appliances.

Good luck, Doris

• dsciontijr
    Original Author
    5 years ago

DAB Interior Design, Inc. great info, thank you!!

A couple questions...
    what do you mean by old fashion electric ovens exactly?

Isn't sub-zero the only brand of appliances which can obtain the cabinet panel? and with that being mentioned....I would have to have a complete "Custom cabinetry kitchen" correct?

we are willing to spend on the mid-upper end but not top line such as the sub-zero 9,000 etc...

I was considering electric/convection range with good cleaning system; a dishwasher with a heating element b/c (from what I read) is what gives a true drying dishwasher. these were my most important appliances. I was hoping to find a descent fridge and micro in the group.

thank you!

• oneandonlybobjones
    5 years ago

If you want to stay with Maytag and you want an oven that uses high heat to clean then you could go with Maytag model MER6600FZ which also claims to be fingerprint resistant. You can look at the Home Depot website which has the Maytag owner's manual and on page 12 it shows that it uses standard high heat to clean the oven.

If you don't mind mixing appliances you could keep the other Maytag appliances and substitute a GE range with convection oven, since GE has designed their convection ovens so they still can use high heat for self cleaning.

dsciontijr thanked oneandonlybobjones
  • dsciontijr
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank You oneandonlybobjones..

I had originally looked at that one but it wasn't rated as high from the customer reviews. That's why I went with the other model. I'm not really crazy about mixing appliances due to the esthetics.. Redoing our kitchen and I want to be happy with the looks if we are investing this much money in it..Not sure what I'm gonna do. So frustrated!!! And... disappointed too. Now, I'm having to start from scratch..spending hours researching again or maybe I'll just stay with the Maytags I originally picked out and just deal with the cheap cleaning process. IDK.I'm now checking Miele products but they might be high $$$

• M
    5 years ago

Just a nitpick, it is 220V not 220W. Very different things. The former is pretty easy to do in most houses, and many kitchens come prewired for at least one 220V appliance and anywhere between 30A and 50A. If you have an electric cooktop and wall ovens, you need multiple circuits though.

Lots of manufacturers allow you to install cabinet panels. It's not just SubZero. And yes, that's pretty much the best solution to avoid finger prints.

For example, Miele makes amazing panel-ready dishwashers. Can't get anything better than that.

Even with induction, I would discourage you from getting a downdraft. Traditional vent hood work much better. And with gas, they're pretty much a necessity.

The recommendation against old school electric stoves with either glass top or exposed heating coils is spot on though. You should really only consider gas or induction

• dsciontijr
    Original Author
    5 years ago

the panel ready won't match my choiced cabinetry though??????

• Cheryl Hannebauer
    5 years ago

We are in the middle of a new build & we went with the Frigidaire professional series, walloven electric (1) cooktop (gas) & fridge & the Sharp Microwave drawer in the island ... nothing installed yet & Hubby researches everything here...

• M
    5 years ago

Panel-ready means that it doesn't have any panel when you get it. You ask your cabinet-maker to provide you with a panel and then attach it to the appliance. Cabinet makers can usually provide panels that fit perfectly, but you need to give them the model number of the appliance, as you frequently have to have cut outs for control and/or handles

dsciontijr thanked M
  • dsciontijr
    Original Author
    5 years ago

M thank you.

Yes but you have to have custom cabinets for this, right. I have a cabinet contractor but they are not custom. they are prefabricated. so not sure if this would work...

• User
    5 years ago

Step away from panel ready anything. Water should seek its level in all of your choices. Cabinets should be 4x your appliance costs not the other way around.

Stock cabinets goes with a basic no frills non convection GE range. A basic LG French door fridge, a Maytag DW, Broan ventahood, and a Panasonic or Sharp countertop microwave. Should be able to get all of that for 4K, instead of 20K. All in stainless. Not the fake stainless steel. Just learn how to clean them properly with Pledge. And no useles dud in the lot which is what happens when you go the “package” way. Never ever do packages. Ever.

dsciontijr thanked User
  • M
    5 years ago

Check with them. Custom sized blank panels are a pretty common request. They should be familiar with that

dsciontijr thanked M
  • batterseaklimpton
    5 years ago

We just installed a higher-end Bosch dishwasher in our kitchen that had actually been sitting, all packaged up and untouched, in our garage for 2 years. It offgasses HORRIBLY. I mean, the asphalt smell is OVERWHELMING. I have an indoor air-quality monitor at home, and the VOC readings are in the 500-1000ppb range, whereas <150ppb is considered good air quality. Let that sink in.

I called Bosch, and they suggested running it a few times since the bitumen sound-deadening blanket needs to "cure." I asked her how it had not cured in the 2 years it's been sitting, and she indicated it needed to heat up, which makes sense.

But for God's sake! The smell makes my throat tighten (I have asthma), and from what I know of petrochemicals, it's likely that it's not healthy for indoor air quality in the long run. I ran that baby 7 times, on high heat, hoping to get the smell to reduce. No luck. What's more, a glass vase I put inside to wash (the ONLY dish I put inside, because I had a feeling) came out stinking like asphalt, too.

So, anyone have a non-bitumen wrapped stainless machine?

I had asked Miele a few weeks ago, and they said that they do use a little of the bitumen soundproofing, but it does not heat up, and thence does not produce fumes. I may have to go that route, because this just cannot be healthy.

• tpliska
    5 years ago

I have the GE Slate microwave. LOVE IT. Will be getting the matching appliances as I replace items. The store owner (Central Wisconsin) said the slate series is a huge seller, and expects the line will grow. Also was told, slate does not scratch like the black stainless (which is not as popular and likely to be out sooner). He told me not to buy the stove that came with the griddle, as they've had multiple complaints on that stove - Go to Amazon to buy a stove-top griddle.

• PRO
    5 years ago

I have used Bosch dishwashers and appliances in several installation, however it was delivered and installed immediately. I don't know what might have happened while it was sitting in your garage for 2 years. Bosch is a very reputable company and I would make sure that they take back the unit, test it in their factory and replace it.

However, offhand I don't know what the warranty on the dishwasher is? Why did you leave it in your garage for 2 years. Perhaps that effected it.

I will attach below a kitchen I used all Bosch appliances and we have had no problems.

The dishwasher is to the left of sink and stove was Bosch.

East End Avenue, One Bedroom Renovation · More Info

East End Avenue, One Bedroom Renovation · More Info

• batterseaklimpton
    5 years ago

Thank you for your project, DAB. It doesn't actually have anything to do with my question, though, about air quality.

I left the dishwasher in the garage of my new home for two years because I was trying to find a contractor who would do a major remodel, and the first one was a scammer. We fortunately found that out before we began work with them. The second one wouldn't commit for about a year, and then finally admitted he needed architectural drawings, and then he disappeared. It's been quite annoying. We finally started work, and decided to install the dishwasher in our current home when our previous Bosch dishwasher died. There was absolutely NO smell with that machine, because it wasn't wrapped in a tar blanket.

Bosch has refused to remedy or even cover the problem--because it's out of warranty, which is unfortunate, but I guess they're adhering to the letter, and that's fine. Just not really standing by their product. I am not the only one who has noticed and complained about this problem (per their representative, and a simple google search--lots of people complain about the smell).

I'm looking into Miele now, because at least they will be honest about what's in their product--they have confirmed that they use a bitumen blanket, but that it is never heated up, so it doesn't outgas.

• HU-352975479
    5 years ago

This JUST happened with us. ordered a Bosch 800 model for about $1000, it was new and installed yesterday. The smell was an awful toxic oil smell, that I smell when our furnace it being cleaned. Same issues with the dishes smelling like tar (just tested one). We are returning this (though Lowes took the box). Hoping that Miele (because it goes by EU standards) would have a higher health rating for materials they use. Did you purchase the Miele? Any offgassing issues? I am considering finding a gently used “pre-bitumen” dishwasher at this point!

• batterseaklimpton
    5 years ago

I have not purchased a miele yet. But their customer service rep was amazing when I called to inquire. She said that it doesn't envelop the washbasin, so it never gets hot enough to put out fumes.

I'm so sorry this happened to you, too! We are not alone. And basically we can empirically PROVE that just letting it "cure" doesn't work, because mine "cured" for 2 years.