SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_105315220157

Foundation cracks during build

Kylie Mann
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hi we just started building our house, we are doing a slab foundation. It is being built on a slopes lot so it was having to be back filled . When We went to check on things we discovered 2 cracks on either side on the foundation pretty much disconnecting the whole back wall from the rest of the foundation. The slab it’s self hasn’t been poured yet. What would you do in this situa

tion? We are meeting with our contractor tomorrow.

the cracks are very thin at the base and about 1intch wide at the top. We can see threw the cracks.

Comments (84)

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    5 years ago

"...So you are saying we should keep what is already there and repair it the way the engineer said? And not redo it?..."

If it was my house, I'd not make any decision until I see the written report from the structural engineer. If I had doubts about the recommendations in the engineer's written report, I'd hire my own structural engineer to come out, visit the site and write a report.

In my own mind, I think the best solution is to remove the failed (and out of plumb) wall, provide new rebar connections from the existing side walls and install a new, properly reinforced and grouted wall. Some interior fill will have to be removed and replaced. All of this should be at the builder's expense.

I see no advantage to trying to shift from a slab on grade to a crawl space design, but I do see a number of disadvantages, including opening you up to a large change order sum.

That said, wait for the first written report and evaluate it's recommendations.

• Kylie Mann
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thank you for informing me about the grout we didn’t know that. I’m going to bring that up to him this afternoon and see what he says. I would ideally like to have a slab over a crawl space just not a slab with a huge crack on both sides. And thank you we will definitely be watching what is done and taking pictures for my dad to check also
  • Related Discussions

Foundation Crack

Q

Comments (3)
    Our concrete guy said do NOT backfill without first floor joists in place That's the general rule often broken with crossed fingers. (Or just too stupid to know better.) However, properly braced foundation walls can also be backfilled. *** The cold joint on the OP's wall will be vertical and precautions should be taken. Yes there will be another inspection. There are literally thousands of building jurisdictions across the US and they don't operate in a uniform manner. Typically, construction is inspected by stages. I doubt any authority has a stage designated "after a repair during construction that we weren't told about." I suggest that the OP contact the local building authority for their input. Or an engineer if there was one involved along the way. If there's no problem, a reputable builder won't get his back up.
    ...See More

Skimmer cracked during build

Q

Comments (14)
    They will break the section of deck, dig around the old skimmer, break out the old skimmer and mouth plus a couple inches of gunite, set the new skimmer and re-pour concrete and re-tile as needed. You won't lose any strength. Its quite a bit of work which is why the PB was hoping you would accept the patch. Weigh you decision on the compensation you receive if you take the patch. Scott
    ...See More

Cracked foundation

Q

Comments (26)
    Most RE contracts probably have similar verbiage like ours. Consumer protection being the main reason for this escape clause: 10.2. Inspection Objection Deadline. Unless otherwise provided in this Contract, Buyer acknowledges that Seller is conveying the Property to Buyer in an "as is" condition, "where is" and "with all faults". Seller shall disclose to Buyer, in writing, any latent defects actually known by Seller. Buyer, acting in good faith, shall have the right to have inspections (by a third party, personally or both) of the Property and inclusions (Inspection), at Buyer's expense. If (1) the physical condition of the Property, (2) the physical condition of the Inclusions, (3) service to the Property (including utilities and communication services), systems and components of the Property, e.g. heating and plumbing, (4) any proposed or existing transportation project, road, street or highway, or (5) any other activity, odor or noise (whether on or off the Property) and its effect or expected effect on the Property or its occupants is unsatisfactory in Buyer's sole subjective discretion, Buyer shall, on or before Inspection Objection Deadline (para. 3): 10.2.1. Notice to Terminate. Notify Seller in writing that this Contract is terminated; or 10.2.2. Notice to Correct. Deliver to Seller a written description of any unsatisfactory physical condition which Buyer requires Seller to correct. If written notice is not received by Seller on or before Inspection Objection Deadline (para. 3), the physical condition of the Property and Inclusions shall be deemed to be satisfactory to Buyer. 10.3. Inspection Resolution Deadline. If a Notice to Correct is received by Seller and if Buyer and Seller have not agreed in writing to a settlement thereof on or before Inspection Resolution Deadline (para. 3), this Contract shall terminate on Inspection Resolution Deadline (para. 3), unless Seller receives Buyer's written withdrawal of the Notice to Correct before such termination, i.e., on or before expiration of Inspection Resolution Deadline (para. 3).... .. 10.6. Due Diligence-Physical Inspection. Buyer's Inspection of the Property under para. 10.2 shall also include, without limitation, at Buyer's option, an inspection of the roof, walls, structural integrity of the Property and an inspection of the electrical, plumbing, HVAC and other mechanical systems of the Property. If the condition of the Property or Inclusions are not satisfactory to Buyer, in Buyer's sole subjective discretion, Buyer shall, on or before Inspection Objection Deadline (para. 3), provide the applicable written notice pursuant to para. 10.2.
    ...See More

Foundation water leakage during construction phrase

Q

Comments (2)
    Yes, your contractor has advised you appropriately. Defer any evaluation until final grading and installation of gutters and downspouts are complete.
    ...See More
  • User
    5 years ago

I would't worry much about the grout; it doesn't have to meet the standards for "reinforced masonry" but I hope the block is 10". The fact that the wall broke away at both ends suggests its well reinforced.

Here is what I assume a section would look like. Tell me if its wrong.

• strategery
    5 years ago

The vertical reinforcement within the blocks is not the issue. The wall sheared away on the return to the side walls. I would not trust the floor framing to hold the foundation together. Totally disagree with JDS on this.

Why not use poured concrete? Heck, even JDS hinted that would be better and could be cheaper.

I dare you to take your photos, then the patches, and show these to any prospective future buyers.

• Kylie Mann
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Okay from what you are all saying sounds like we should get our own engineer out there and get his input. We are going to do this before making any other choices
  • User
    5 years ago

strategery, you have misinterpreted the forces involved

The long wall sheared away at the side walls because of insufficient temporary bracing. After the floor framing has been installed, the only thing that will matter is the vertical reinforcing in the long wall. This is how most foundations are built and this one only needs thicker block and more reinforcing because of the imbalanced fill. The force resisted at the top of the wall is at the end of an 8 ft lever arm and is therefore quite small and easily resisted by floor joists and sub flooring.

Try turning the long wall on its side and diagraming the loads as if it were a beam.

Obviously poured concrete would be easier to reinforce but it would still rely on vertical reinforcing to prevent cracking from the imbalanced fill. It would not be cheaper.

The patch will only show on the inside of the corners as a wide joint. Why would anyone show photos to prospective buyers?

To solve problems it is necessary to first carefully define the problem. So far, I haven't seen much of that here.

The reason that I am feeling more confident about the vertical reinforcing in the long wall is that if it weren't adequate, the long wall would have cracked at the level of the imbalanced fill instead of at the side walls.

I am an architect with engineering training and 50 years of experience but I am not a licensed engineer so this information is only for the use of the OP to make it easier to discuss the issues with a qualified structural engineer.

Good luck Kylie, if you need more information click my name and send me a private message.

• opaone
    5 years ago

OP has 17 courses (of x"?) above grade with dirt and a slab on one side and air on the other.

That's vastly different than dirt on the outside pushing against a wall that is then pushing against support side walls (rather than pulling from them as above) and trusses/joists.

Even aside from that, how was this builder planning to tie the slab in for support across the top? I don't see any rebar or anchors sticking up. Are the tops of the blocks all unfilled but have rebar from below sticking in to them to tie in to the rebar in the slab that will provide support across the top?

The only way I can think to to have done this with block would have been to drill a lot of rebar in to the side walls (before core fills) to then tie in to the unsupported (now failed) wall but off hand I can't think of how to have tied them in to the failed wall properly.

• Kylie Mann
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thank you jds yes I know it has rebar inside of the brick cells with poured concrete(which should have been grout) I think the reason it cracked from what all you are saying and being able to see it my self it from them filling in the void area inside the walls with out a balanced pressure from the outside. I think the crack was perfectly vertical and not jagged because of the rebar in the bricks holing it together creating a straight crack. We are going to get a second engineer out there that we are paying for to see what he says. I would like to have a slab so I’m hoping the back wall can be removed and some thing can be redone leaving us with out a 1in crack. We are also meeting with our builder today and will be letting him know we aren’t comfortable with only a carbon fiber wrap and leaving the crack with the back wall separate form the rest of the walls. Thank you everyone !
  • PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    5 years ago

If you want to fix this get an engineer and get structural repair detail hire a reputable mason contractor and have him fix everything.

That being said, if this was my house and is this a new foundation I would take everything down, start with a sound footing and do the block work with dura-wall every other course. Most Engineers I know would suggest the same thing being this a new foundation.

• cpartist
    5 years ago

You may like this contractor but you should have someone with more construction knowledge inspect the project weekly if not more often. I mean it.

Learn from my mistake. I wish I had the inspector I have now to come by weekly to check my build. Granted I don't have the problem you are having but I had other issues that the inspector who came only 3x during our build, missed.

• User
    5 years ago

The wall almost certainly has horizontal joint reinforcing in addition to vertical rebars. The contract documents should clearly show that and, if not, it should have been caught by the building inspector. The code is very specific about reinforcement for imbalanced loading.

When discussing the structural wall with the engineer it is important to call the masonry units "blocks" or "concrete masonry units" instead of "bricks". Bricks would be added to the face of the wall and are not structural. They will, however, hide any repair (carbon fiber, metal, etc.) and allow the face of the long wall to be plumbed.

Whether the upper floor structure is wood joists, trusses or a concrete slab is irrelevant for the matter. All would provide more than enough lateral bracing to stabilize the top of the foundation wall. Wall anchors can be added at any time. Where are these ideas coming from?

This is a static structural system so there is no pushing or pulling, just forces in equilibrium. If you change something it will seek equilibrium again. When the upper floor is installed the temporary bracing can be removed and the system will remain in equilibrium. This is what is taught in the first week of a structural design course; it's very simple but not obvious.

• strategery
    5 years ago

@JDS, that is incorrect. The rebar within the blocks resists bowing and tilting over of the end wall. That wall is actually solid in the photos, lol. The problem is shear from the side walls, and vertical rebar does nothing for that. The flooring system in *tension* would hold the end wall attached. Ughh, that's not what flooring is for.

The solution is adequate support against the end wall from the outside, as @opaone said. Either that, or some sort of horizontal reinforcement within the side wall.

The last interior fill broke the camel's back.

• User
    5 years ago

You have misinterpreted the forces again. The vertical rebar in the long wall does nothing if the top of that wall is free to move. When the structure is completed, the foundation wall will span from the ground to the upper floor and will be laterally braced by both.

Walls span between floors and between a floor and a roof and distribute lateral forces from wind, earthquake, etc. to the floors which distribute the loads laterally to the foundations. That's why structural sheathing or diagonal bracing is required in exterior walls. Without that lateral bracing system a house might fail in a windstorm or earthquake. That's why a floor is required to be installed before backfilling foundation unless adequate temporary bracing is provided. Inadequate temporary bracing was the only mistake the contractor made. He took a chance and lost.

Your assumptions about the loads and the cause of the failure are false and your suggested solutions are specious.

• User
    5 years ago

It doesn't matter which side of the wall the fill is placed, if its more than 4 ft of imbalanced fill, the wall must be braced by the floor above or adequate temporary bracing.

2015 INTERNATION RESIDENTIAL CODE

CONCRETE FOUNDATION ASSOCIATION

• opaone
    5 years ago

The wall almost certainly has horizontal joint reinforcing in addition to vertical rebars.

Given the clean break from blocks through bedding I can't see it. If they'd put durawall or similar in there it should have pulled a lot of mortar out when it gave way. It wouldn't have sheared clean at the failure point.

• opaone
    5 years ago

The ends of a backfilled wall are pushing against side walls that are perpendicular to it and against floor joists or trusses along the top. That is very different than all of the force coming from the opposite direction - from the same side as the side support walls and the floor joists.

Stand 4' from a wall in your house, put your arms out, and lean forward with the palms of your hands against the wall. You can probably hold that position for a long time. That's similar to dirt fill pushing against a wall that is then pushing against side walls and trusses.

Now find a pull-up bar and hang on. A bit more stress? Can't hang on nearly as long as you could push against the other wall? This is a pulling force.

There are ways to deal successfully with pulling forces. In a poured wall it's a lot of properly done horizontal rebar bent around the corner and tied to vertical rebar in the supporting wall (e.g., the side walls).

If you're relying on trusses or joists to hold the wall 'in' rather than 'out' then they'll need to be designed very specifically for that. I don't think the chords can simply be joined together with gussets but will need something different. Even if the chords are single piece, how should they be joined to the wall to resist forces in the opposite direction then 'normal'?

BTW, in looking close up, the mortar looks like it might be too thin and uneven in places.

• User
    5 years ago

opaone, you may be right about the joint reinforcing in the side walls; I was only referring to the long wall. If the long wall was properly reinforced and braced at the top it wouldn't matter if the horizontal joint reinforcing turned the corner.

In any case, I don't think it could have held the corner together. It may be there and it just pulled loose. We still don't know much about this failure other than a couple of photos and no close ups.

I don't have any idea what you are talking about in your last post.

• PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    5 years ago

This the biggest investment and you not even out of the ground yet and already your foundation is good for nothing.

Footing and foundation are like the heart of the structure if that goes everything will go with it.

You pay money for this house, make them take that thing down find the issue what caused that and have them re-do everything, now is the time to do that, because even if they make the repairs on it and when you load the house with lumber, and everything else, and foundation will give again, you will have nothing but problems and the more band-aids they are adding to solve this it will not get any better.

Good luck

• User
    5 years ago

already your foundation is good for nothing.

You should be ashamed of such an irresponsible comment. You apparently come on this forum to scare people. You did it to rockybird for no logical reason.

• strategery
    5 years ago

@JDS - Again, you are trying to play the arbiter of what is appropriate, and in this case I simply do not agree with your explanation or analysis. Neither does @opaone.

Good luck and I wish you well. I also hope that the OP does not follow your guidance.

This foundation is toast. The builder is incompetent, as are all "experts" who approved this design. Don't take my word for it. Look at the photos.

• Kylie Mann
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @jds thank you again you have been very helpful. we have talked to the builder and a engineer and after explaining how it was built and how 3 people who have inspected it have recommended repairing it we have decided to go that route. The crack was caused when they went to fill it in with out backfill. I feel like we will have a very strong foundation after all the extra precautions and money is put into it. Thank you everyone. Also the footers were not the problem
  • PRO
    PPF.
    5 years ago

I'm sure all that have commented and read are curious, exactly what will be done to repair?

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    5 years ago

This is a confusing thread to say the least, given the little data we have to go on.

For example, how much back fill was installed inside the block walls (where we cannot see...we can only see the exterior of the block walls).

If the fill was only a few feet, I don't understand the full height cracking and separation which we see from outside the block walls. It might make sense if the interior back fill was three-quarter height of the wall or full height. But we don't know that. The OP hasn't told us the height of the fill material.

Without knowing the height of the fill material, I'd hazard a guess that the block wall was hit by a tractor unloading the fill material...

But it really doesn't matter does it?

The only point which now matters is how best to respond to what is obviously a foundation/stem wall failure.

And the best strategy, obviously, is to get an independent structural engineer retained by the OP for a day's wages to come out, visit the site and prepare a written remedial report.

And, like GN Builders, I agree that this is the time (the only time) to make this foundation a proper one...

If it was my house, I'd wait for the structural engineer's report, but my inclination would be to take it all done and redo it in a proper manner.

• opaone
    5 years ago

I'm not sure the foundation is 'good for nothing'. We don't know how much other foundation there is nor what the quality and structural soundness of it is. From looking at the photos I'd guess not so good but we don't know that. I think we can all agree that what was done should never have been done and certainly indicates a lack of knowledge or lack of ethos to do things right on the part of the builder.

If the rest is done at least 'well enough' and particularly if there's a lot of other foundation then possibly removing the failed wall and stepping back the side walls so that they can be rebuilt stronger and with proper structural support might work. But an engineer not connected to the contractor should make the determination of what should be done and the proper engineering should be carried through to much or all of the rest of the structure.

• opaone
    5 years ago

Please post photos of the repair work after it's done.

• PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    5 years ago

If that the case, and they want to leave it the way it is, they should get Carbon fiber corner reinforcement straps and epoxy them in to stabilize that wall and prevent further movement and separation. That would be the best way to go in this situation.

• Kylie Mann
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    They are doing that also! They are adding a lot. We definitely wouldn’t have gone this route if it didn’t seem right . We’ll post pictures of the repair progress
  • Kylie Mann
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    This is how much it was filled, all the way. But with no back fill to support it it cracked. Stupid move on the contractor. And to repair they are going to instal rebar to connect the two walls and add a quite a bit of backfill along with more support and carbon fiber wrapping around the corners
  • PRO
    Charles Ross Homes
    5 years ago

To be sure, the issue with your foundation is related to differential backfill. I think it can be solved with supplemental reinforcing and is not an issue that would require demolition and starting over. I am, however, curious about the concrete block that will support the brick veneer. In our area, the block would need to be FHA (solid) block to support a brick veneer.

As a licensed professional engineer, I would like to respond to what I consider "fear mongering" about the recommendations of a licensed professional engineer retained by the builder. The value of a professional engineer's license is much greater than the business potential provided by a single builder or a single issue in dispute. Accordingly, the advice of a licensed professional engineer retained by the builder should not be radically different from one you contract with directly. If you think otherwise, then please consider retaining multiple architects and multiple desigers as those professions are not any more or less trustworthy than licensed professional engineers.

• User
    5 years ago

Kylie, the crack is not the immediate problem. Get the upper floor on before the temporary bracing moves again.

• opaone
    5 years ago

Accordingly, the advice of a licensed professional engineer retained by the builder should not be radically different from one you contract with directly.

The operative word above 'should'.

There is a very wide range of latitude in many areas of engineering. And within this latitude is everything from 'meets minimum spec and we hope it will work' to 'this will last and remain solid for two centuries at least'.

So, builder's engineer, who relies on income from this and other builders, may be focused on finding the least expensive option that meets minimum spec and offers him plausible deniability in case of failure. Owner's engineer might say 'that solution meets minimum spec but in reality is tenuous but doing x will have a much higher probability of remaining solid for x years'.

• just_janni
    5 years ago

Very PE I have met takes their responsibility very seriously. And also does not want to be sued or liable for shilling for a builder. It's simply not worth it.

Honestly - this would freak me the hell out. I have a huge amount of retaining walls on my build - but that's a different situation. I probably wouldn't have felt comfortable with CMUs for this high a foundation / this much fill. But it's been done that way before and certainly can be - assuming it's braced and installed correctly.

I'd be more concerned about compacting the fill inside the foundation - as that will impact our future floor (assuming you are doing a slab) To do that right - you need compaction done in flights (layer). We did every 8" and had to test with an engineer at each layer - but again - that is for retaining walls and house sitting ON the fill, not the fill in the house.

• opaone
    5 years ago

We see this daily with road design. U.S. traffic engineers design roads to meet the most minimum safety requirements while engineers in Europe and elsewhere are looking to achieve actual safety. We hear it in their verbiage as well. When asked about design vs deaths, U.S. engineers will very consistently say 'it meets green book specs and if only every driver perfectly obeyed every law then we'd have fewer crashes' - plausible deniability. EU Engineers will say 'yes, deaths are much too high so we're exploring a design that will do x'. And they're saying this when they already have a fatality rate 1/5 of ours.

If U.S. engineers did their job as well as EU engineers then we'd have about 8,000 road deaths per year instead of the 40,000 that we have now.

• User
    5 years ago

I agree the advice of engineers should not be radically different. My point was that when there are multiple engineering options, the engineer's employer would naturally choose the one he/she prefers. If you can talk to the engineer privately you would be more likely to learn all of the options so sometimes it may be wise to employ your own engineer. That shouldn't reflect badly on engineers and it doesn't appear to be the case here.

I have also found that when dealing with structural repairs, another engineer may have more specialized experience especially with conditions that involve structural and civil engineering issues. For difficult designs I have used Simpson, Gumpertz & Heger, a firm that specializes in investigation and rehabilitation; the only drawback was they vanished overnight when there was an earthquake in CA.

I also agree about the use of CMU. A wall of this height should have been concrete. Or it should have stopped at the basement slab then there could have been windows or a door in that big blank wall.

• User
    5 years ago

If the basement under-slab fill was high enough above grade to force the long wall out of plumb, then the slab was high enough for the foundation wall to stop at the slab. The real culprit here is the designer.

• 293summer
    5 years ago

@home.on.the.ridge on Instagram dealt with similar issues in their foundation. She shows, photos, etc., and describes how they proceeded, which involved rebuilding the wall.

• PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    5 years ago

The height of the wall is not the issue, the construction is. I have built over 50 new homes in all types of soil conditions 13-14 courses with 6-7' feet of fill. Always use dura-wall, mid-span piers, etc and never had a foundation failure like this.

Something definitely is wrong there and as 293summer mentioned in the post rebuilding that wall is the best solution. Block is cheap ($2.50), labor to install it not that expensive about the same, take that wall apart is fairly easy at this stage, so if it cost you 1k in material and labor to rebuild that corner lets say 100 blocks if that, it's definitely worthed not to mention that the homeowner is not paying for this and having someone do the structural repair (cutting block, installing re-bar, grouting solid, etc) they will charge the same amount and the wall will still be out.

All this bickering with engineers and waste of time, my mason would already take that wall apart and reconstructed before this thread hit the 10th post and the foundation be structurally sound, level and the homeowner would have a piece of mind. Just saying.

• User
    5 years ago

The wall design was a bad one for a half dozen reasons so its pointless to argue over which one was the worst.

I would agree that its best to replace it as long as it didn't recreate the same down-slope bracing dilemma. I believe the best approach is to stop the new foundation wall at the basement slab; I can see no reason for a giant CMU wall.

• PRO
    John & Tellu
    5 years ago

"@home.on.the.ridge on Instagram dealt with similar issues in their foundation."

Good catch, 293! It looks like the exact same problem.

I have no real opinion on this, but thought this image was interesting... it looks like they took down the flawed wall and then may have embedded rebar into the grout to reinforce the corners:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BUcl62cldWT/?taken-by=home.on.the.ridge

I thought the initial attempt at a redneck solution was funny:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BT-fNW6l2FH/?taken-by=home.on.the.ridge

• opaone
    5 years ago

I don't think there is a basement slab. I got the impression that OP planned to pour a slab on top of this contraption and that would be the main level of the house.

I'm not sure that use of rebar (ridge home) is such a good idea as it can actually weaken the mortar joints. Durawall is thinner and lets the mortar do its job.

• Kylie Mann
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Yes there is no basement . And that’s for the Instagram link that looks very similar to our situation
  • User
    5 years ago

No basement? I guess I thought it was a basement because it was posted to "BASEMENTS" and no one corrected my basement comments or sketches.

So the entire height of the wall has fill behind it with no interior braces, ties or abutments? Wow, that's asking too much of a CMU wall and diagonal bracing no matter how well it was built.

How high did the fill get before the corners failed? If it was not complete I wouldn't be surprised if the corner repairs failed when the fill is complete and compacted.

No offense intended to engineers, but if the contractor's engineer originally designed this wall, I strongly recommend you find another engineer.

The Instagram wall was crazy but this one is much higher and much crazier.

I agree about the rebar in the corner; see my earlier corner reinforcement detail.

If the wall gets rebuilt, I would expect an internal buttress to be added

• opaone
    5 years ago

"That's asking a lot from a CMU wall and diagonal bracing no matter how well it was built."

Yep.

• strategery
    5 years ago

Oops, sorry we forgot the rebar. Srs?

And what about all the other corners? For a 4-corner box there are 8 returns. Not sure I would sleep comfortably in that house having seen photos of foundation walls getting blown out. Be sure to share these wonderful photos with future buyers.

Can you post plans or top view? Why on earth not fire the builder and pour a real indestructible foundation after having gone through this heart attack? You are fantastically fortunate this failed sooner rather than later.

• Kylie Mann
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    If I am standing in the Wall the original height is about 5-6 feet I could see over it. The outside looks much higher because of the footers being dug down and what not. I posted a picture of it not filled yet and you can kind of see what I mean
  • Kylie Mann
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    They are redoing the back and corner parts and having carbon fiber and backfilling it higher to have pressure from the other side of the wall too
  • Kylie Mann
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Also I didn’t realize it posted to basements iv never used this app before sorry about that
  • User
    5 years ago

I'm not used to it either, not that I start many threads.

I ignored the "slab foundation" description because the photo showed a concrete block perimeter foundation.

Its not necessary to know construction terminology if you post a lot of photos and a few drawings. Turning on "messages" is helpful for drawings.

• User
    5 years ago

No engineer will falsify a report or create an unworkable solution. But the element of unconscious bias that creates a prior restraint to thought processs enters into any transaction.

An engineer may see that issue and right away think of Solution A. And know that it is the best choice for the home‘s long term viability. But she also also knows that it is the builder who is paying for that choice, and the builder will want something more cost effective. So, Solution B for Budget and C for Costcutting are developed. Neither are as good as Solution A, but they get the builder out of the immediate jam, at a price he is willing to pay.

And the contractor presents B and C, to the customer, without ever even mentioning A. Because A never made it into the report at all, because the engineer knew that the cheapskate hack would not pay for it, and would rather just walk away from the project.

The customer might have wanted the best solution, not the cheapest solution. The customer might even have been willing to pay the cost difference between the expensive and the cheap solution. But the customer didn’t pay for an independent report to go to them with the recommended beat solution included, as well as any others.

Any design is only as good as the available budget for implementing the design. If an engineer consistently recommended the most costly approach, even though it was the best approach, she’d stop getting any calls from builders. Which might not be a bad thing for the engineer, as who in this industry likes dealing with cheap hacks?

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths