SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sailorjanice

Anchor plant ideas for shady cape cod bed

Cape Sailor
5 years ago

I have many ideas for perennials for the blank shady bed in front of our upper Cape Cod house, but need help with some anchor plants first. I May be totally off base, but my thinking so far is:

City lights hydrangea on right next to porch - for interest near door.

Climbing hydrangea on trellis on the left - would add interest over there and is the only climber that I have found will do well in shade around here and isn’t invasive.

Japanese holly Hoogendorn under Bay window- compact, won’t get too tall.

2 green velvet boxwoods staggered on either side and a bit in front of holly, with slightly different texture and lighter coloring than holly

Something taller??? (Help!!) in front of left corner of house to hide ugly drain spout and lengthen look of small house. Local nursery suggested a compact Pieris japonica but I don’t want something that poisonous w small kids. I don’t love rhododendrons or yews either. Would green mountain boxwood be too boring?

I’ve done my homework on mature sizes I think. Bed is a half circle, 6 feet deep in front of the window, but can be expanded if we want. I don’t want anything over 3-4 feet tall with the small house except perhaps the left corner. The entire bed gets some morning sun but is otherwise shaded by nature oaks by late morning (dappled) and then by the house by mid afternoon (full). We’re in zone 6-7, inland on upper cape cod, with acidic soil that I think drains fairly well.

Thoughts? I’m open to suggestion! Thanks for looking!!

Comments (8)