SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dirty_gardener

My last year in this apartment - giving up my gardens

dirtygardener
5 years ago

I've decided to pursue my dream of van dwelling and traveling the U.S., Canada and Mexico, so this will be my last year in this apartment. I'll be giving up my gardens, which sort of breaks my heart, but then again, there are so many gorgeous gardens to see. I plan to visit as many gardens as I can, both private and public, and explore the native plants of wherever I am, and write about them on my blog.

My lease is up on August 1, 2019, so I have a bit more than a year to rid myself of almost everything I own, and hit the road. I'd love to be able to keep this place and travel too, but because I lost everything in the recession, I can't do that, so this is my only chance to have my dream of traveling.

I've vacillated for a couple of years about this, not sure I could stand living in a vehicle, and not sure I could live without my gardens, but I don't want to die never having seen anything or been anywhere. I was looking at the mountain of boxes in my bedroom, and realized that if I had really considered this a forever home, I would have unpacked them in the past 3 years and decorated this place. I haven't even so much as hung a picture. My gardens are the only concession I've made to creating a home here, and they just aren't enough to keep me happy.

The maintenance crew will completely raze my garden beds if I don't do something with them before I leave, so my plan is to start in the fall selling off or giving away all my plants, except the large ones that can't be moved. I'll put concrete tree rings around those and mulch them well, so they won't get killed by the yard crew. I'm planning to design my van with a tiny shelf with one gro-lite and a few mini african violets and succulents to keep me company.

I can't wait to finally get to see Fairchild and other gardens in FL, and hopefully meet some of my favorite gardening friends here. My first trip will be to travel across the country to the Ho rainforest in Washington, where I can camp with my son (who lives in Seattle). I'll be the frugal version of our wonderful Silvia, who shares all her wondrous trips with us. In fact, she's the one who inspired me to just stop being afraid and follow my dream.

Every spring, I'll head back to the southeast to visit all the gardens I never got to see in my youth, starting in SC, where there are so many gorgeous gardens to see. I can't believe I spent most of my life there and never saw them, but when every yard around you has a garden, you really don't think about paying to see one! LOL

I'm going to be starting a blog soon to follow my progress as I prepare to my journey to a new life and new adventures. Lots to do besides just declutter and downsize the gardens, including getting back in shape, so maybe some of you will want to join me on that journey as well.

I'm sharing this with you because I've known most of you so long (I joined GW in 1999), and feel like you are my family. I made some wonderful friendships through the old GW site, but sadly, most I've lost touch with. Still, the ones who remain I treasure and know you will be happy for me and encourage me along the way.

Through it all, the losses, failures, and triumphs, you've been there for me, and I don't think I've ever told you how much it has meant. Some of you have plants from my old yard in your yards still, and I have a couple still from trades here. I feel like their DNA forever connects us. I hope you will follow me on my new journey to spend the rest of my life sharing nature's beauty with the world.

Comments (30)