SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nick_b79

Coppicing a Shantung maple, or maples in general?

nick_b79
5 years ago

I have a few Shantung maples I grew from a local seed source that are now 18-24" tall in their pots (2 years old), and so far I've been pretty impressed with one in particular for it's spring coloration However, all the spots in my yard that would be suitable for large trees (greater than 35 ft) are already planted in with chestnuts, Turkish tree hazel, various oaks, etc. I do however have plenty of spots reserved for smaller understory and edge habitat trees, to which I've been adding fringetree, redbud, ironwood, hophornbeam, leatherwood, spicebush, hazel, fothergilla, ninebark, chinkapin, etc. There is one spot where I could plant a tree that gets no taller than 30 ft, because any taller and it will begin to shade part of my garden and orchard.

One thought that keeps popping into my head is to plant my favorite Shantung maple in this spot, and then coppice it once it starts getting too large. I've seen intentionally coppiced trees before up close, and I do appreciate the form they develop (I just really like the multi-stem look on a medium-sized tree). Given the relatively slow growth rate of Shantung maple, I may not even have to cut it for another 15 years, and then only once every 5 years or so. I'm young and good with a chainsaw, so this doesn't scare me :-)

Anyone have thoughts/insights/hateful scorn for my idea? Thanks!

Comment