SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
funkyartoo

Starting back on Synthroid

Funkyart
5 years ago

I have been off Synthroid (actually, I take the generic levothyroxine) for about 3 yr...… there were a variety of reasons none of which are valid or relevant to this post. I went back on because my hypothyroid issues were getting the best of me and I am also aware of the risks of not treating it (please, no lectures). I have had joint/muscle aches, low energy, the inability to lose weight and sensitivity to the cold and temperature changes in general. Classic symptoms-- most I am familiar with because I've had poor thyroid function most of my life. The Drs chose not to treat it when I was younger because at that time, I was *just* inside normal limits. Around 50, they hit the range that demanded treatment.

Ive only been back on thyroxine for a few days and starting on day 1, I was feeling nauseous and became very gassy. I don't remember this from my prior time on the drug. I assume it will be short-lived. I foolishly told the pharmacist that I didn't have any questions and didn't need any instruction so now I am wondering if there is anything else I can expect as I ramp back up to the correct levels. I know I should avoid soy foods-- anything else?

I do have a list of side effects-- but they are mostly focused on taking the levels too high. Levothyroxine has a narrow therapeutic index so it's not uncommon to have hyperthyroid symptoms when establishing your initial levels. I am on a fairly low dose for my age and it's the same level I was on previously so I think I'm ok there.

Thanks in advance for any insight/experiences!

Comments (21)