SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
javiwa

Black swallowtail cats: the first 48 hours

javiwa
5 years ago

I was so excited last week to have brought home a fennel plant from the nursery: came with three eggs! Two of the eggs hatched within 4-5 days, and the cats crawled around just a tiny bit. After that, they pretty much just sat still. At one point earlier this week, one completely disappeared (maybe it fell into the pot), and one just died in place on a branch. After the first 24 hours, when it didn't seem like they were foraging and feeding, I brought home a dill plant and intertwined the two plants' fronds.

Egg #3 is still sitting, unhatched. I'm sure it's beyond the point of viability.

This morning, two 'new' eggs (from this week's purchases) hatched, and the cats seemed more active than last week's batch. Good sign, I thought. The larger of the two has crawled around a bit throughout the day, but is doing a lot of sitting still.

However, the other one is behaving just like the ones that died: all day, it's just been sitting on a branch, not moving.

For those of you who've raised black SWTs indoors, what have your experiences been? I released 17 monarchs last month, losing only 1 (of 20) during the 2nd/3rd instar.

Am I doing something wrong? TIA.

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!