SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sraymer33

Should we let our custom builder go and build with someone else?

sraymer33
5 years ago

We are getting ready to build a new custom home. The neighbourhood we are building in has a limited number of approved builders. We narrowed it down to a particular one last winter due to how long they've been in business, and through talking to and touring the homes of three others who have built with him.

But here's the thing, communication with him is a nightmare. We haven't signed a contract yet, but we did pay him to draft our floorplans. That took months! We were living out of state at the time, and have since moved down the street from our build site to be close during the build simply because I'm terrified that stuff is going to get missed and miscommunicated during the build, just based on our experience doing the floorplans.

I chose a floorplan I found online, and sent him an email with details on what we wanted changed, as well as some sketches. When he got us the first draft back, it had none of what I had asked, so I emailed him back, and resent all the details and the sketches. There were three drafts. Things getting missed each time was common. I tend to be very thorough and detailed in my emails, so I don't know how he is missing these things. Sometimes we would go almost a month between drafts. When we emailed him about it he would say things like, "Oh, my drafter was on vacation." When we pressed him about communication, his reply is, "If you haven't heard back from me in a day or two, then email me again." I don't feel like he's taking responsibility for the poor level of communication, or even sees it as poor communication and it's making me nervous.

I also feel like he is resistant to many of the design elements that I want. Whenever I ask for things he'll say, "That's not what we usually do." And my thought is, if you are a custom builder you should be doing what the client would like, unless there are real solid reasons why it isn't a good idea, and then you should explain why you think it isn't a good idea. For instance, I want wide plank floor, and he won't do them, because he says they warp. But my thought is--then use manufactured hardwoods that won't warp? He just doesn't seem keen to offer up alternatives, and he won't let us even talk to the designer until we've signed a contract (which I already know has inadequate allowances).

We haven't signed a contract yet. We are going this week to meet with him about that. I want to let him go and go with another builder, but my husband seems hesitant about it, even though we already know of a builder who is great with communication, has a great reputation, and have said they would be more than happy to build our home.

Here are my questions:

1. Is it rude or not typical to drop a builder at this point?
  2. Since we've already paid for the floorplans are they ours to take with us if we choose to let him go and go with someone else?
  3. How do you go about telling a builder you don't think this will work, after you've been talking to them for months?
  4. Would a builder find this horribly rude, or would they be glad you spoke up if you felt the relationship wasn't going to work?
  5. This is my first time building a custom. Are my expectations in the areas mentioned unrealistic? I really don't want to be 'that client', but I do know what I want in my home and the kind of relationship I would like to have with my builder, since it will be a 9 month build commitment once we sign a contract.

We've been actively working on floorplans and trying to get a budget/contract together since the beginning of February, and I'm just very frustrated at this point. We had originally wanted to break ground at the end of April.

Comments (20)