SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
davidr_2002

Installing Siding J-Block for Receptacle or Light

DavidR
5 years ago

I'm helping an old friend install an exterior electrical receptacle on his new garage. It has vinyl siding, which I've never had to deal with before.

He bought a matching J block from the siding supplier.

Yesterday I went over to see how things were going. He'd put up the J block, but hadn't installed the box yet. It didn't look quite right to me, so I'd like to ask y'all what you think.

I thought a J block was supposed to channel water around the hole in the siding. I can't for the life of me see how this one is going to work that way. It's hard to tell from my crummy photo of the other (uninstalled) block, but the outer ring actually snaps INSIDE the part that he nailed under the siding. (The installed photo shows it without that ring. Sorry I didn't snap one with it on.)

It seems to me that rain running down the siding is going to seep behind the top of the frame (if that's what it's called), run down the sides of the block, and then keep right on going below it and behind the siding. I don't see how this is supposed to work.

Are you supposed to squirt caulking compound into the gap between the base of the J block and the siding (as seen in the right photo)? Maybe just caulk at the top?

Or caulk along the top (and maybe sides) after snapping the frame on?

Neither of those seems quite right either. Siding is supposed to be able to move with temperature changes, or so I thought.

We looked at a bunch of websites and a couple of 'tube clips, but didn't really get any good answers.

We'd appreciate thoughts and suggestions from those who do this regularly (or even irregularly).

Maybe someone even has photos of a correct installation. They're hard to come by online.

Thanks1

Comments (4)