SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stacha_l

Please Help! Brown spots on my succulents

does anyone know what is the nature of these brown outgrowth on my plants? https://ibb.co/kqZxko

https://ibb.co/bucHko

Comments (30)

• Stacha (Sydney, Australia)
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

And it’s keep growing:(

• Helen Agius (Adelaide,Sth Aus) USDA Z10b
    5 years ago

Hi stacha, I'm sorry to say I've got no idea, but wondering if the brown spots are soft/squishy. Hopefully someone more experienced will help out soon.

I just realised that you're 2 post were the same day! And the bown marks was growing in that time? Is it still alive?!? :-(

Stacha (Sydney, Australia) thanked Helen Agius (Adelaide,Sth Aus) USDA Z10b
  • Related Discussions

Brown spots on succulents - help us out?

Q

Comments (7)
    I don't believe it is oedema. I don't think it is sunburn either - but possibly. At least on first plant. Ppl posted photos of similar damage, and it is likely caused by something chewing on it while still younger. Those 'bites' have scabbed over. As the plant grows, rosette opens up more and damage is more visible. You can see it is sort-of regular. Very young growth is usually most juicy/succulent, and it is often first to be chewed on. One doesn't have to see the bug or pest for it to happen...and just because other succulents were not damaged, it doesn't mean it didn't happen to this one. I actually witnessed this to happen. As Dominyka said, those leaves will eventually grow out, and plant will look better. April If you don't mind here is a suggestion: hope those metal tins have drainage hole(s). If not, they should be drilled or poked in. And if possible, top up the potting mix so the plants are not so deep inside of them. Metal heats up more than terracotta (didn't compare it to plastic); and plants are even 'hotter' if they are deeper inside. And it restricts air circulation too.
    ...See More

Brown spots, please help.

Q

Comments (1)
    Some pictures might help if you can add some.
    ...See More

Help little brown spots on my succulents

Q

Comments (1)
    I'd guess it's in response to your soil being too water-retentive. Add more perlite and repot. Ideally, it would be 1/2 perlite and 1/2 soil.
    ...See More

Please help with my Chinese evergreen - brown spots, yellow leaves

Q

Comments (4)
    The rest of the plant actually look really healthy except for the few yellowing leaves and stems. You’re not really going to know the full extent until you can view the roots but are you noticing more and more stems become mushy as time goes on or is it just this 1-2 and nothing before/since? I think if its a recurring issue your best bet is to have a peep at the roots, if there’s any mushy or brown roots, cut them off and repot in a different medium, add some perlite to help with drainage and aerate the soil. If the roots are coming out of the bottom too it sounds like it needs a larger pot to stretch its legs, I know you don’t have access right now so if you’re confident you can always prune the roots and place back in the same pot but otherwise a larger pot will really benefit the plant. Hope this helps :) Chloé
    ...See More
  • Skyler, N. TX
    5 years ago

It could be sunburn or something else. I don't know much about pest damage or fungus.

Stacha (Sydney, Australia) thanked Skyler, N. TX
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hi Helen. These spots are strong, maybe even stronger then the rest of the plants. I tried to scratch one spot off and I damaged the plant. They become bigger every week and looks almost like a virus, as it’s appearing on other plants..

Original Author
    5 years ago

Hi Skyler, it does look like a sunburn a bit, but the location of these spots is very different, from both sides of the plant and from both sides of the pot as well (from the sunny side and from the shady side)

Original Author
    5 years ago

Hi Polypompholyx, It’s just started a week or 2 weeks ago and become bigger. These plants were healthy...

Original Author
    5 years ago

The closest answer I found is something called oedema. They say it happens when the roots are sucking too much of cold water and then it’s sort of going through the leaves and damaging them. My plants are on the balcony and the weather was a bit cold and rainy, so it might be a true reason. I still didn’t find any photos that could prove that answer.. I’m trying to move my plants from the balcony inside the house, but it just too dark for them here. And I’m not 100% sure I’m doing right

Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you everyone for your comments anyway ^_^ xx

5 years ago

Stacha when you say "a bit cold", roughly how cold? And can you show us a photo of it now?

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    5 years ago

Stacha

It may or may not be oedema. It is not caused by cold water (at least I didn't come across that info), but too much water. Plant take in more water than it can normally transpire. It could happen because of overwatering, or because of too much rain. Having very well and fast draining mix helps some since lots of excess water will drain away. High humidity doesn't help either. You didn't indicate your general location - climate, that sometimes helps to give suggestions.

Spots visible on your plants look more like rot to me (or some kind of fungus) rather than eodema. Or sunburn that Skyler suggested. Or it could have been physical damage caused to rosette when 'younger' by a pest or a bug that has callused/healed over and now is growing out. I have oedema happening sometimes on jades - usually if it stays humid for a while. Not just a day or couple, but longer. Or if it rains for prolonged period of time (does not happen often here). It could show up on leaves as a little dots that are raised (like a pimple), or bigger spots and splotches. Usually not so dark as what is on your plants, and not concentrated in the center of rosette.

As for temperatures, you didn't mention how low they were. While cold and wet isn't good for succulents, day or few wouldn't be much of concern. And temps would have to drop and stay quite low for a while - by low I would suggest around 45*F or lower; and soil would have to stay wet for most of that time to cause damage.

Stacha (Sydney, Australia) thanked rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
  • rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    5 years ago

Here are couple of photos of oedema - at least that's how it demonstrates, if it happens, on my jades:

First pic shows 'pimples' - they are small, hard and of quite regular shape - it looks similar to scale. But it is not scale - they are smaller, hard, and can't be easily wiped off like scale. (Scale is also usually more oval shape.) If you want to remove them, it could be done with some force and leaves a hole in the leaf. I believe you can see 2 spots in first pic, lower right, where I scraped them off and the holes now callused over; and there are indentations left now. Lower pic shows bigger spots. They may be even larger splotches.

I do not see oedema on other, soft-leaved succulents similar to yours. Not suggesting it doesn't happen, I would think it does, I just don't have examples of it.

Original Author
    5 years ago

It was around 11 degrees (52* F) at night. I live in Sydney area, Australia. And it’s raining a lot now. I would not say that spots didn’t grow up since last week, but looks like half of my plants were affected by this desease.. Jade plants are not affected, but Echeverias are look terrible now.. I tried to scrub few spots off this plant, but I just damaged the plant:

Original Author
    5 years ago

Here is the photo of jade plant, which is growing in the same pot with damaged succulents:

Original Author
    5 years ago

Can’t believe these are the same plants just a month ago

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    5 years ago

Those look really to be mechanical damage that has scabbed over. May have been a squirrel or chipmunk or mice chewing on the leaves (but they usually leave bite/teeth marks). Or a snail or other bug - caterpillar, feeding on a rosette when smaller. They were feeding on a 'softer' and juicier leaves. If scratching damaged plant, I would suggest it was a scab - just like could happen to us :)

11*C is not too low for any of them. Unless it is cold for many days in a row and raining too, I wouldn't consider that to be a problem.

Btw, if it is oedema, that is not a disease but a disorder. It doesn't spread, and it is better to leave affected leaves on the plant. They will eventually get old and be naturally replaced by new growth.

Too much rain may be causing some problems (oedema, or possible rotting or some fungal disease); but as mentioned - if it is too much. If it is raining constantly, maybe it wold help to take plants indoors. I don't - they are better outdoors; I just cover them with a plastic sheet. Have not done it this year yet, only coupe of times last year and probably 4-5 times year before when it was raining non-stop for number of days. And as mentioned before, if they are in very gritty mix, water drains off faster. I do not use saucers outdoors so pots do not sit in collected water.

Original Author
    5 years ago

Yeah.. maybe. It’s now more than 50 plants affected by this thing. They crack when it’s become too big. This is the current photo:

5 years ago

Goodness! And seeing the before shots where they look so gorgeous, makes it sadder. I feel for you Stacha :-(

Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you Helen. Today I bought some new pots, washed the roots of the most damaged plants with a soap and water and planted them in a new soil in a new pots. I decided to leave them on a balcony, but I moved them to the dry and shady side under the roof.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    5 years ago

Stacha

I am surprised that you have so many plants affected. I wish I could see them in person to get better idea of what the problem is exactly...It still looks like callus.

What kind of 'soil' are your plants in? Did you ever see slimy trail on any, even one? That would be a slug trail. Some damage looks like a sunburn, but seems to be too concentrated - if sunburn, I think it would be over more of the leaves. Is there any chance something fell on top of plants - like a broken branch or something similar? Are there any birds that come for visit often? Do you have any pets (cat, dog...)? I am just trying to find what it could be. It is bit puzzling...

ETA: just read your post. Ordinary soap is better to be avoided for plants; if you have to use some, it should be plant-based soap. Example is Castile soap, made of olive oil. Typically, there is no need to wash roots with the soap. Old soil should be washed off and plain water is usually enough. Any dry, damaged or rotting roots should be pruned off. It may be good idea to let roots air dry if they were wet. I usually lay plant on something absorbent, so extra moisture is sucked up. It doesn't take too long. Plant should be potted into fast draining mix - I wonder what did you use?

5 years ago

Just thinking detective style.

You showed us the gorgeous basket of healthy plants. Did you buy/obtain them and brought them home in the basket? Now all the plants that were in the basket (except the Jade) have this "malady". Then there are over 50! plants with the same malady.

I'll assume a bit here until you correct me.

You have a large collection of Succulents, so a pretty experienced succulent grower. All plants are ok. Then you bring home a basket of Succulents for a group planting.

A week after replanting, the malady appeared on some plants in the planter, then on the others (except for the Jade). Within the next few days, over 50 of your entire collection has this malady.

There has to be a connection...

Same growing conditions causing malady to many plants? eg Oedema.

Insect and/or lavae/eggs came in with basket?

Something originating from the planter? eg something left from previous plant/s.

Anyway if you're interested... could you rewrite the "happenings" correctly and with as much detail as possible. Eg I bought the new planter from bunnings or guy next door gave me the planter when he moved 3 weeks ago. First sign of malady- day/month time I noticed on #of plants in planter.

If your not interested, that's cool.

Also wondering if you’re into the fast draining gritty mix that rina was talking about. I use it now. Incredible difference in the plants health, not being stuck in unnatural cloggy dirt.

BTW What general area in/around Sydney are you in. I spent a lot of time going to Richmond to stay with a family friend during her last years. She died, content, about 2 yrs ago. I would have been visiting about 3 years, several times a year. She was like everyone's favourite Aunty when I was a kid. Sorry that was just why I was interested lol

Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you Rina! Yes, almost all succulents of this type (echeveria) were affected. Most of them have just a tiny spots, but around 10 of them were damaged so hard as on photos. That’s why I’m afraid to loose more plants and trying to solve the problem....

A month ago we had a painting service, they repainted our balcony. But I didn’t notice if they touched my plants.. We don’t have pets. I didn’t notice slug trail. I noticed some spiders, but we always have them and it was never a problem to succulents. Talking about birds... you know, there are plenty of them in our area from cockatoo to owls. But I don’t know if they could do a small spots. I’ll attach the picture of small spot now.

Original Author
    5 years ago

Tiny new spots:

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    5 years ago

Most spots I see seems to be toward center of plant. It is possible that something got splashed over the plants by the painters, and damage is showing now, as the plants are growing out. Or it may have been something bit more abrasive - if the were sanding the railing for example, or sandblasting. That is quite possible...

Spots in last photo do not look like bugs to me - they are usually quite similar in shape. But just to be safe, use a q-tip (or cotton ball or a soft tissue or even cloth) moistened in rubbing alcohol. Wipe gently over the spot. If a bug, it should wipe off easily. If squished, you should see bloody goo...If scab, it will take some force to take it off, and scraping it off would leave a damage on the leaf.

Original Author
    5 years ago

Helen, that would be a good guess, but I didn’t buy new succulents more than a year (because my husband thinks that we already have more than enough for one balcony haha :)

I use “Succulents and Cacti ” potting mix from Bunnings. Also 6 months ago we have moved. But all of my plants were in a very good condition. We are now living in Cronulla, South Shire. It’s a bit far from Richmond. Sorry for your friend. Sounds like she was a great person.

Original Author
    5 years ago

Rina, spots in the last photo have the same nature as rhe bigger one. I liked the version that something got splashed over the plants. It might be true. And if it’s true I don’t have to do anything but wait.

I will let you know about their condition in a week anyways.

Thank you everyone for your support and advice xx

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    5 years ago

Just wanted to add: if it is physical injury (that I suspect), it will eventually grow out. If it was rot or some fungal disease, it would 'act' quite fast, spread over bigger areas and leaves or even whole plants could be dying unless helped asap. Since it has been on your plants for a while, I am suspecting it isn't rot...and hope I am correct.

Just pay attention to plants, and if you see anything else developing - pls. post. Good luck, and hope to see an update :)

Original Author
    5 years ago

Hello everyone, just wanted to update this topic. I repotted and changed the soil for most of my plants, but looks like it was some sort of damage. Now plants are recovering themselves and looks better. Thank you all for your comments and support

Original Author
    5 years ago

New leaves in the middle:)

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    5 years ago

Stacha

New growth looks great!

It definitely looks like mechanical damage that had healed over. Reading back your posts, it could have been caused by the painters. They could have dropped something - it could have been even some dirt in case they were cleaning before painting that just flew places; it could have been droplets of paint too.

Good to see your plants doing so much better! Damaged/marked leaves will eventually be too old and dry up; in he meantime - they are helping to produce 'food' for plan. It is just a cosmetic thing, that could happen anywhere. Imagine plants in their habitat...I am sure they do not look absolutely perfect :)