SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
whatchamacallit_ss

Help Requested - Choosing Light Grey Paint for Bedroom

Abdul Taiyeb
5 years ago
Hello.

I'm a new home owner and am trying to set up one of the bedrooms for my parents who will be staying with me three months during the summer, and three months in the winter, here in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.

The room selected by them is unfortunately a little tiny with a small window, but it does have an attached "sun room" which has two large windows overlooking the backyard. The bedroom is currently painted dark olive green which really doesn't suit our styles or even the weather here - long bright 16 hour days in the summer, but dark and gloomy 8 hour days in the winter. (Please see the attached pictures).

I've attached a picture of the room upon entering (the sun room is attached to the left), a picture of the sun room and a picture of the room when entering from the sun room.

I've always been into greys, and therefore I'm pretty much sold on the idea of have a light grey (perhaps with hints of silver?) paint, white/cream furniture, and yellow accents. The bed I have chosen is the MALM Queen bed from Ikea as it has a small footprint and therefore should leave space to walk around - albeit barely ( https://m.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/spr/99007856/). Planning on skipping nightstands and instead going with a couple of wall shelves on each side to again maximizing remaining floor space.

The issue I am having is choosing the grey paint color. I know I'd like it to be light to highlight the yellow accents, but there are so many shades of grey (at least 50 :P) and I've read a lot about paints appearing blue or green with sunlight. Ideally, I'd like to choose a grey that I can use with all the bedrooms and just use a different color to accent each room.

Any help from the experts would be appreciated. Im looking to buy the paint on Sunday to have it painted and ready for them by next weekend.

Thank you!

Comments (6)