SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lls4f

Anyone want to daydream a nursery with me?

Laura M
5 years ago

Husband and I are trying to conceive our first. The room we would use a nursery is actually the unfinished room over our garage. Before anyone gets alarmed, we have already insulated the heck out of the space between the garage and the room, we do not actually park our cars in the garage anyway so no risk of car fumes, and while we have an automatic opener, it is a brand new very quiet model that you cannot hear in the unfinished room (we have tested repeatedly!).

So, all that being said, while going through the TTC process (a long and frustrating one...), it has been fun to try to think about how we would design the nursery, but honestly it's sort of a tricky room to me! We have knee walls that I see being perfect for building in storage (and the seller of our house already started on this by starting to build in some shelves). Parents: is this a practical thing to do? Would you consider shelves built into knee walls useful or a safety hazard (particularly thinking about when a baby is able to pull himself/herself up and potentially climb a shelf?)

Another question: we have a skylight in here. When we finish the room, would parents recommend covering it with drywall to help create a darker sleeping space? Are there ways to leave the skylight but put a curtain or something over it?

Basically, I guess my questions are: if you had a total unfinished blank slate to turn into a nursery, what would you do when you've got the walls open and you can really go nuts with building stuff in,

Comments (21)

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz