SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
garyz8bpnw

Largest black timber bamboo variety?

garyz8bpnw
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

What is the largest cane black timber bamboo you've seen?

The largest I've seen is what I'm calling 'Squak Mt Giant'. It's at Squak Mt Nursery in Issaquah, WA. Over the last 20+ yr I've watched a 10' x 25' clump go to maybe a quarter city block. And the cane diameter keeps increasing. With fertilizer bet you could get it large caned faster. It's in a valley not far from a little stream so I expect it has adequate ground water. They are just just enjoying letting it bask in an unused space and not working to sell it. My clump is a division that I got permission to dig.

Just for fun very early this 2018 spring I went back to take photos of my old friend.

This is a newer growth and still shifting black over time. It's a big diameter culm for Phyllostachys niger! I have Men's XL size hands.

If groomed and lower branchws removed this stand would even be more a show stopper. My modest division retaken from my last houae two years ago ia currently producing new shoots.

Our sunny yard with rock screened glacial till spil ammended slwith compost grows timberbamboo great! Ok I use slow release pelleted fertilizer too.

This internet photo has become my goal.

Our currently small cane diameter Golden Vivax in the same yard is shooting like crazy massively stepping up the cane diameter all at once. There's still another growth cycle needed to get full sized, but it's getting there fast.

This is the Inversa Golden Vivax next to it. Looking forward to seeing those impressive black shoot sheaths drop so the wide alternating green bands. This is an internet example.

We are growing the bamboo varieties below in our yard.

Correction: China wouldn't likely lend me a Panda and my Wife won't let me have the giant tropical bamboo from Thailand. She says it might cause a Jack and the Beanstalk like experience. I however I think she's more concerned I'll want to build a heated greenhouse over it. One can dream however.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!