Just like a millennial
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (38)
Related Discussions
What a strange article on Millennials.
Comments (29)Selcier, I found the suburb comment odd too. It certainly doesn't match the preferences of Millennials I know, though my sample may be biased as I live and work in a dense urban area. But I don't think the article is about Millennials now, necessarily. I think it's about Millennials once they've started having kids. The presumption seems to be (and maybe it was supported with survey results; I had that impression) that Millennial families will want to migrate out to the suburbs, much as previous generations have at that life stage. I don't necessarily think that's true. The Millennials I know value not having to drive everywhere, whether they are biking or using public transportation. And suburbs = cars. Most of the Millennials I know who have kids haven't moved. In my area (Oakland, CA), another factor that drives families to the suburbs is the quality of the schools. As for the being able to convert powder rooms to full baths, etc, I think their focus again is on Millennials approachingt the life stage where they are growing their families. If you buy a house as a couple and then have two kids, yeah, that full bath might be looking pretty appealing. I know a number of people in my own generation who added on or renovated when their family outgrew the space. Sometimes moving makes sense, but in other cases the economics for adding on make more sense (my friends added an upstairs master suite and a second bath to their 2 bed/1 bath house after twins increased their family from 4 to 6)....See MoreVox article on millennial cooking trends
Comments (30)We got take-out tonight from a local Mexican restaurant. Nothing special but nice to not have to cook. We ate it on our screened-in porch with a view of our backyard gardens along the river. Other than the obnoxious neighbors and their overly loud motorcycles interrupting us twice, it was very pleasant. The restaurant is small, crowded but nice with a great bar. Since I can't drink, nor eat the cheese-heavy saturated-fat meals they offer, dining in at that restaurant would have only been a fun occasional stop at best even pre pandemic. I was just glad we could support the local main street business in a slightly different way, much better for us anyway at this point. Most of the items on the menu I make at home, for half the cost and better tasting and healthier, sad to say. So part of the fun would definitely have been the drinking . . . which I can also do cheaper and lower calorie at home, but I am not supposed to drink anymore for gut health reasons. At least not regularly. I think the high end places will always have some level of market, and seemingly no end to the lower priced fast food options. I feel for those trying for the middle ground, or something unusual in a small or medium sized market. That's the tough spot right now, in so many ways. I can certainly see how at some point most folks realize they can't subsist on a steady diet of fast food and stay healthy over the long haul. I know some do not come to this realization ever and unless they are born with magical genes and a hyper metabolism, they end up paying the price after middle age. The ability to "eat at home" and cook your own food has some pretty great survival benefits, so even if you can afford the luxury of eating out a lot, I think it pays to develop self sufficient, frugal cooking skills. It's not that difficult if you put your mind to it. We love our insta pot, for example, it has been a game changer for us! That was a big plus for me growing into my teenage years with a working mom. I learned how to cook for myself and others to help out and split the chores. I feel lucky I had that opportunity....See MoreApropos of… Well, Many Things..I’d just Like to Say…
Comments (12)martinca - Thank you for your positive post! A good start to my day to see it. I agree with your sentiment. Since discovering Houzz a few years ago & then the gardenweb KT forum I’ve enjoyed reading the many diverse threads & their topics. I’ve especially enjoyed the humor, camaradarie, knowledge & forgiveness shared by so many in this diverse community. This site has saved my sanity on many a long and dreary winter day!...See MoreLooks like I got things done just in time...
Comments (3)I can relate! A couple of weeks ago we got about 4" of snow and I was nowhere near finished cutting back. I continued despite the snow and we had a bit of a warm up so I am still working on it. I adore s. Iris but there is a lot to cut back considering the number I have. I often get to them among the first I cut back. I think I have 2 left. I don't mind them as much as you lol! The first to get cut back is always Macleaya cordata since the leaves turn black after a good frost....See More- 8 years agolucillle thanked Jenn TheCaLLisComingFromInsideTheHouse
- 8 years ago
- 8 years agolucillle thanked Jenn TheCaLLisComingFromInsideTheHouse
- 8 years agolast modified: 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years agolast modified: 8 years ago
Related Stories

PRODUCT PICKSGuest Picks: In Like a Lion, Out Like a Lamb
Take a cue from the classic adage about March with home accessories that call these animals to mind
Full Story
PRODUCT PICKSGuest Picks: In Like a Lion, Out Like a Lamb
Whether regal or sweet, one of March's animals will work with your home's décor
Full Story0

FUN HOUZZAvast! 9 Spaces to Treasure for Talk Like a Pirate Day
These swashbuckling rooms and features may just rob you of the need to ever grow up
Full Story
COLORLoving Color: More Ways to Like Stripes
Wake up a room with multiple types of stripes — or just one dramatic band of color
Full Story
DIY PROJECTSArrange a Gift Floral Bouquet Like a Pro
For a fall gift bouquet that looks expensive but is (almost) dirt cheap, just follow this step-by-step guide
Full Story
DREAM SPACESJust a Few Things for the Dream-Home Wish List
A sunken hot tub, dedicated game room, tree house, hidden wine cellar and more. Which of these home luxuries would you like best?
Full Story
LIFEHouzz Call: What Makes Your House Feel Like Home?
Sometimes just one thing gives you that warm and fuzzy feeling. Let us know what it is for you
Full Story
REMODELING GUIDES10 Elements of the Just-Right House
The World Series, Moneyball and the smart house: The case for smaller homes rich in character and function over the big and bland
Full Story
HOUZZ TOURSHouzz Tour: Just What Mom Wanted, Off the Washington Coast
With an art studio, age-in-place features and a view-maximizing design, this home shows just how well the architect knows his client
Full Story




Elmer J Fudd