SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
seaduck

Why are my Halcyon MIA?

seaduck
5 years ago

My gorgeous edge of Halcyons has not come up and I can't figure out what happened. I'm hoping you might have ideas.

I planted a dozen Halcyons five years ago and they looked gorgeous with the mix of everything else in the bed. I've never heard of hostas simply failing to appear.

We are in a built up neighborhood on the coast north of Boston. No deer. No voles. Only a couple of squirrels and the occasional skunk, but I have seen no evidence of digging in this area. Spring has been admittedly slow, so I've been waiting. But other Halcyon and hostas are now in fine form.

I don't know if this is another clue: the muscari that share this edge with the Halcyons also failed to come up this year. And two peonies have not returned. In the area of the missing Halcyons, there are a few tiny shoots -- not like the usual cluster before they leaf out, but things that look like seedlings, with small 1-2" leaves.

The Halcyons looked so gorgeous that I am thinking I'll simply buy more and replant them, unless you all tell me I'm an idiot.

Comments (6)